X9681 - Battle of Britain Wheelsets from Hornby

RedgateModels

• RMweb Gold

Just a word of warning, just received three sets of X9681 from Hornby as they were the only available source and the smaller bearing on the centre axle of all thee sets was missing. Looks like a production issue. 

I'll update the topic as soon as I hear from Hornby, but for now I'd avoid ordering any ......

• Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

Just a word of warning, just received three sets of X9681 from Hornby as they were the only available source and the smaller bearing on the centre axle of all thee sets was missing. Looks like a production issue. 

I'll update the topic as soon as I hear from Hornby, but for now I'd avoid ordering any ......

I though the BoB (unrebuilt) only has the large bearing on the centre axle; the second flanged bearing was a later design addition on models from around 2008 onwards

Could it be the chassis has been modified to do away with the need for the additional bearing?  It would certainly not be the first time a running change to a specification has been initiated within the Chinese production process without anyone in the UK being aware, and continuing to use the same part/pack number just to confuse further.

• RMweb Gold

Update:

Hornby are looking into this, but looking closer at the supplied wheelsets tonight has revealed that it's worse than just a missing bearing. 

This is the centre wheelset from the original loco

DSC_0063.thumb.JPG.921eb0fa1338284af1b9cc77ba6a27e9.JPG

This is the centre wheelset from the new set

DSC_0064.thumb.JPG.97a430f60de9adfd065131a7d93d22d3.JPG

Note lack of crank pins as well as the missing bearing.

It's gets worse, next one of the other wheelsets without the gear

DSC_0065.thumb.JPG.9fc0d9c1cb771ca85eb9d87b2744a11e.JPG

One crank pin!

It's clear that this set, and the other two sets supplied at the same time are faulty rather than a later design with the same part number.

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, atom3624 said:

Is the second wheelset one with the crankpin for the speedo drive?

Bushes - are they simply pushed together?

Al.

Very good point about the speedo drive :)

Centre set bushes are 100% non crank pin type. They take the larger sized screws etc. Looks like it's just the centre wheelset is wrong 

23 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

Update:

Hornby are looking into this, but looking closer at the supplied wheelsets tonight has revealed that it's worse than just a missing bearing. 

This is the centre wheelset from the original loco

DSC_0063.JPG.0d401e1daa80c6f86beff3f573719335.JPG

This is the centre wheelset from the new set

DSC_0064.JPG.ecb4baa8491cfcc91f58c84d06606f53.JPG

Note lack of crank pins as well as the missing bearing.

It's gets worse, next one of the other wheelsets without the gear

DSC_0065.JPG.55f20faa9d04de87d80f7084b6590ba6.JPG

One crank pin!

It's clear that this set, and the other two sets supplied at the same time are faulty rather than a later design with the same part number.

Didnt realise they were fitted with the thin bearing. What is the catalogue number of your bullied? I wonder when the tooling was modified

Edited by G-BOAF

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Bit of an update

Hornby tech support have at last agreed there is a problem and are checking all their stock. I have been refunded and the offending items will be picked up by DPD on Wednesday. 

I still await them getting back to me with a solution to getting hold of correct parts do I can fix the customer's loco ....

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Fyi for the crankpin on the speedo you can use a crankpin off the centre wheel..it just pushes out / push fits in.

ive swapped them off damaged sets in the past for re-use.

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Fyi for the crankpin on the speedo you can use a crankpin off the centre wheel..it just pushes out / push fits in.

ive swapped them off damaged sets in the past for re-use.

Just push very firmly when you refit the crankpins. The rear of the crank pin piece should be recessed from the rear face of the wheel; if it is flush you need to push further. Suggest using a robust flathead screwdriver or needle nose pliers.

I once had a new Hornby loco and the valve gear seemed rather stiff - examination revealed  crankpins on both sides were not properly pushed home (this was the least of my problems with that wheelset - the tyre diameters were not consistant either!)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

Just push very firmly when you refit the crankpins. The rear of the crank pin piece should be recessed from the rear face of the wheel; if it is flush you need to push further. Suggest using a robust flathead screwdriver or needle nose pliers.

I once had a new Hornby loco and the valve gear seemed rather stiff - examination revealed  crankpins on both sides were not properly pushed home (this was the least of my problems with that wheelset - the tyre diameters were not consistant either!)

Agreed. I use a pair of pliers closed and use them side on to push.. so no damage/scratching.. you could use any other solid blunt object. They will only fit one way at the rear.. so its easy to see if its not flush.

i’m doing similiar with pecketts at the moment as i’m making an 0-4-0 chassis for an NBL diesel and need to lose the wider crankpin.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Still no real solution from Hornby.

DPD did not turn up on the specified day, contacted customer service, they booked another collection on the following Monday - at my home not work address. Another email sent, no response. I have given up with them. They sit in my drawer at work but don't expect DPD anytime soon LOL

I have secured two sets from AC Model Spares on eBay, yes I did check that both bearings and crankpins were in place. Cost more of course, two sets for the price of 3 from Hornby but at least the customer's loco can get fixed.

Last time I bother with Hornby for spares frankly.

• Friendly/supportive 2