To fix or not ????????

• RMweb Gold

Just a quick question

As your various layouts progress do you stick buildings in place??

I am finding it annoying to keep knocking buildings out of place but feel if they were stuck down they would be more likely to be damaged

In reality 90% of my buildings have found their permanent homes on "Hawkesbury" so could be stuck down.

If its a "yes" to sticking, as almost all of my buildings are card how firmly do you stick - glue, double sided tape (my preferred I think) or a.n.other method.

Thanks

J

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, cypherman said:

Hi Halsey,

You could try clear bathroom silicone sealant. It sticks really well, But also has the ability to just peel off when you want to remove stuff.

Thanks for that - it wasn't even on my radar for this job but I can see the benefits...........

I have tried a couple of techniques with mine.

In one instance, I had cut a piece of ply the right size to be a snug fit inside the walls of a card building.  Then, placing the piece where I wanted the building, drilled two holes through it and the baseboard underneath.  Then, glued a couple of wooden dowels into the holes in the baseboard, so that about 1cm stood proud. Lastly, I glued the piece into the bottom of my building and there I have it, accurate alignment, snug enough to hold into place, yet I can lift it if needed.

With the houses in my card townscene,  all the buildings have an 8mm foundation to the walls and I just build up the street level around them.  No glue needed and I can lift out when needed.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

No More Nails. Squeezed around the base and smoothed with a brush or decant some into a tub,  mix in some colour to blend it in with the surrounding ground and apply using a small brush. Used it to fix my rough stone walls, buildings, platforms etc. 

Edited by ianLMS
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1