Secrets of the London Underground. Series 2 coming 5th May at 8PM on Yesterday

Paul.Uni

It's the underground connecting passage between the City & South London and the Charing Cross and Hampstead platforms, now the two branches of the Northern Line.  When they were separate companies, through travellers had to re-book.  

Hope they can mash up the best of the Architecture the Railways Built and the Hidden London videos.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thank you so much for posting the original link, as for years I had a vague memory of travelling to Glasgow as a small child and the island platform at Euston. I was sure there was another loop next to the platform and seeing other trains by pass the Euston platform. The one picture of the booking office set me searching the web and something that has been ticking away at the back of my brain has now been answered.

There is a detailed article here with loads of pics under images, one of which is the booking office in question. I can see that once life returns to normal, I must go on one of the tours, but they may be terminated with the work going on at Euston station.

https://www.subbrit.org.uk/sites/euston-underground-station/

• 2 weeks later...

Really looking forward to this series.  I've got a copy of Christian Wolmar's book, 'The Subterranean Railway', which I picked up in a charity shop a few years ago.  I found it a fascinating read, especially the bits about the inter-company rivalry in the early days.  I might read it again to prime myself for the show.

• 3 months later...
  • Paul.Uni changed the title to Secrets of the London Underground. Starts Tuesday 13th July 8pm on Yesterday
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Tim mentioned that the next series of his "Architecture the Railways Built" will follow some time after this series.

Some interesting TV to look foward to.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

• Paul.Uni changed the title to Secrets of the London Underground. Starts soon on Yesterday
  • RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Paul.Uni said:

New date for broadcast TBC

Annoying, because it had already been published in the schedules!

I was trying to add it to my set top box on "Yesterday" for next Tuesday and it said no programme info available!

• RMweb Premium

Is there a catch up service or a Plus One channel for Yesterday?  It is going to clash with Only Connect and University Challenge in this house!!

• Agree 2

• Paul.Uni changed the title to Secrets of the London Underground. Starts Monday 19th July on Yesterday

Looks interesting.

Time to crank up the PVR!!!

On the Forums page, the link to here came up as

Secrets of the London Und...

By Edwin_m, 2 hours ago

Thought it might be about Zombies uncovered by the H2S excavations.  :crazy:

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Is there a catch up service or a Plus One channel for Yesterday?  It is going to clash with Only Connect and University Challenge in this house!!

No Recorder?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Georgeconna said:

Yes there is a +1 for Yesderday, Better off recording in and you will be able to skip the repeated info and ads.

Most of our TV viewing is off the recorder, so that you can skip the ads and pause if need be.

Sometimes only 15mins or 30 mins after the program is broadcast

• Like 2

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Most of our TV viewing is off the recorder, so that you can skip the ads and pause if need be.

Sometimes only 15mins or 30 mins after the program is broadcast

I generally reckon for these channels if you start watching the recording 15min after the programme start time and are reasonably dextrous with the fast forward button, you'll finish watching pretty much as the programme finishes.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

I haven't had a recorder since they stopped selling blank VHS tapes....

I have had three HDD recorders, still got two and both are connected, one to Freesat & one to Freeview.

Sadly I am finding less & less to record.

Mind you that's more time for hobbies:good:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

For your interest - there are repeats on +1 - 1 hour later but not on Freeview.  Also there is a repeat on Fridays on Yesterday at 10:00pm - I'll probably use that.  Also there is an Internet "catch-up" service where you can watch on your PC after initial broadcast - you still get the adverts!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

It is available to stream anytime on the UKTV Play website plus gets a repeat 10:00 pm on Friday too.  Next week is North End, the never finished station on the Northern Line often referred to as Bull & Bush.

• Informative/Useful 1