Secrets of the London Underground. Starts Monday 19th July on Yesterday

Paul.Uni

Under London Expedition?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qoG0ACt3UA
Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnCTRV5EwPk

Part 2

Having trouble getting links in place, so far, will try again.  Hope the above is enough to use.

Early in my career, I was fortunate to make a site visit to King William Street, and walk down the tunnels as far as the construction shaft under the river.  The whole site is totally altered now, thanks to redevelopment above.

Edited by Engineer
Use of English
  • Thanks 2

We NEARLY got to King William St, but Covid restrictions meant that filming underground in certain places is less than optimal. Best leave things to be done well, than rush them just because you can. I and the team have really appreciated the comments in this thread btw - please be assured that they are all read. This is TV that is made by people who care to be enjoyed by people who care. 

Incidentally, RAIL mag printed my "how we made..." feature on it. Obv it simplifies the zillion processes that were completed, but I hope this gives a bit of an idea. Stef and Paul at RAIL decided to put it online so that anyone can read it - because it's the sort of thing that people enjoy long-term. Cheers, Tim. 

https://www.railmagazine.com/news/rail-features/2021/08/04/how-we-made-secrets-of-the-london-underground

Incidentally, tonight we did two (TWO!) features on block signalling. On national telly! Never thought I'd be doing THAT, and esp not with such a great explainer as Jarley from TfL. Am quietly content.

• Like 18
  • Funny 1

55 minutes ago, timdunn said:

Incidentally, tonight we did two (TWO!) features on block signalling. On national telly!

:lol: If James May can make reassembling lawnmowers tv then anything’s possible! 

• Funny 1

On 09/08/2021 at 17:54, RJS1977 said:

Unfortunately that would be in the period when the BBC routinely wiped and re-used tapes, so the chances of its survival are slim.

In the 1970s,  such a programme would probably be made on film so there could be a chance of its survival since modern film has excellent storage properties.

Jim.

On 09/08/2021 at 21:10, Engineer said:

Under London Expedition?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qoG0ACt3UA
Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnCTRV5EwPk

Part 2

Having trouble getting links in place, so far, will try again.  Hope the above is enough to use.

Early in my career, I was fortunate to make a site visit to King William Street, and walk down the tunnels as far as the construction shaft under the river.  The whole site is totally altered now, thanks to redevelopment above.

That's the one!  Four parts on YouTube, the complete programme by the looks of it.  Slightly quirky in the way it is presented but overall a good watch. 

Astounded it has survived. I presume someone found it on an old home VHS recording somewhere...

• 3 weeks later...

Well, finally managed to catch up with the last two episodes yesterday.  A very good series all round I must say and deserves a second one.

I don't suppose the very atmospheric soundtrack/background music is available anywhere is it?

Also harking back to an earlier post about the abandoned Northern Line extensions, does anyone have a copy of the Northern Wastes book for sale for a sensible price please?  Ebay has only turned up the one at an exorbitant price because it is signed plus there seems to be two versions, one with a brownish cover, the other black?

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Immediately after the first screening of episode 1 of the series 3 of "The Architecture The Railways Built", there was a repeat of 2 episodes of "Secrets Of The London Underground".

The car from the 1980s green prototype train was of interest to me - mainly because I remember travelling on it in February 1987, when it was used on the Jubilee Line.

Although the trains were brightly coloured (and looked somewhat incongruous), I don't recall seeing too much in the way of branding on them (of course, I might just have not been looking too hard).

The 3 prototype trains were split up - with sections of each train marshalled together to form trains. These trains were used in passenger service for a short time - with some distinctly anodyne questionnaire forms made available for passengers to fill in.

In case anyone's wondering how I can be so definite about when this was, at the time I was a 21 year old student on an industrial training year. At the time, British Rail offered a February "wow deal" to people with Young Person's Railcards - InterCity returns between pretty much any 2 stations for something like a fiver a "pop" (after a certain time, I think) - and no need to book in advance.

(I seem to recall that a similar deal a year later also came in rather useful ... .)

In my case, I took a week's annual leave - took (and failed) my second driving test on the Monday - and did a series of day trips from Hartford (on the WCML, a  couple of kilometres from my lodgings in Northwich) to London. You can safely assume that my Travelcard got a serious workout.

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths
The curse of auto "correct" strikes again!
  • Like 2