Smooth running rolling stock?

Timken

I`m slowly pulling the basics for an 009/Hoe layout as finances allow! I have a couple of Roco coal wagons and just acquired a Roco diesel loco.One of the wagons is a really wobbly runner,the other perfect.Is this a one off or do you get variations with all RTR stock ?

Thanks.

Edited by Timken

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Timken said:

I`m slowly pulling the basics for an 009/Hoe layout as finances allow! I have a couple of Roco coal wagons and just acquired a Roco diesel loco.One of the wagons is a really wobbly runner,the other perfect.is this a one off or do you get variations with all RTR stock ?

Thanks.

With those it may be the insulated bush on the axle got squashed at some stage in assembly and the wheel is a little crooked. It does happen occasionally but not common. 

44 minutes ago, Timken said:

I`m slowly pulling the basics for an 009/Hoe layout as finances allow! I have a couple of Roco coal wagons and just acquired a Roco diesel loco.One of the wagons is a really wobbly runner,the other perfect.Is this a one off or do you get variations with all RTR stock ?

Thanks.

RTR - bought new? Or secondhand?

Peco rolling stock is usually good running but it is worth having a look at the underside of the wagons and the wheels themselves for anything obvious. Are the pinpoint axles properly located in the chassis bearing? Try spinning the wheel set with your fingers and it should spin freely and for at least several seconds. Any stiffness you may feel through your fingers  whilst trying to spin them is usually a sign that the axle is not properly seated. Usually pulling the chassis gently sideways gives room for the axle to locate properly. Look at the chassis itself to see if it has twisted and I'm effect has trapped the wheel set. If so gently pulling will usually move the plastic back to where it should be. Another issue with secondhand stock that you buy can be dirty wheels. I have had wheels where dirt has built up in one spot on a wheel which then in effect makes the wheel out of true. In n gauge and 009 with relatively small wheels it only needs a small deposit to make the wagon look as though it is running drunk. On a steel wheel the black deposit of dirt is usually easy to see. On a plastic wheel a little more difficult but your finger tips/nails can usually feel the unusual shape of a dirt deposit . 

Hope that helps?

Woody

• Like 1

Are you a member of the 009 society ?

They  have a sales dept and if there is a problem you can send them back and you do have access to a 

large number of items, plus the monthly newsletter/magazine.

Well worth it as you could well recoup your membership fee in savings on stock.

Stan.

On 16/03/2021 at 19:12, PaulRhB said:

With those it may be the insulated bush on the axle got squashed at some stage in assembly and the wheel is a little crooked. It does happen occasionally but not common. 

Had a good look at the wheel /axle fitting and one wheel on each axle of the offender was not fully pressed onto the axle...a little light tap knocked the axle further through and now it runs fairly smoothly!!!!

Thanks for all the input!

• Like 3