Cropper Street.....the Dock Street replacement layout..

Gilbert

Glad I've found your new layout thread, looking forward to seeing this develop, it's all looking fine so far.  

I was interested in your comments about Hornby 31's and Peco bullhead track, do you know why they dont work? 

I've a couple of 31's and was looking at getting bullhead track in the future. 

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Glad I've found your new layout thread, looking forward to seeing this develop, it's all looking fine so far.  

I was interested in your comments about Hornby 31's and Peco bullhead track, do you know why they dont work? 

I've a couple of 31's and was looking at getting bullhead track in the future. 

There's quite a bit in the Peco BH thread. Try Page 52

I really like the BH points but with two 31s on the roster and no replacement wheels currently evident and with a desire for a shorter layout they were not the choice for this layout.

Chris

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

43 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

There's quite a bit in the Peco BH thread. Try Page 52

I really like the BH points but with two 31s on the roster and no replacement wheels currently evident and with a desire for a shorter layout they were not the choice for this layout.

Chris

Thanks for flagging Chris, I have 2 class 31s for Parsons Vale which is laid with BH, I don't recall shorting when I tested the layout but it has seen so little use I had better get the layout out. Might have to try your varnish trick

• RMweb Gold

Another update.

I had used Lcut kits on Dock Street and decided to try their very nice retaining walls.

50528560968_f9c36c1e2e_c.jpg

50541140833_ded0702d66_c.jpg

I wanted a high urban environment so an over bridge was also included. This time styrene sheet and Wills girders.

50545030962_ab9d10c2e1_c.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

As work progressed I toyed with the idea of making the rear track a through line. I have a number of DMUs and it would be nice to give them a run. A bit of rebuilding ensued.

50600848718_5196800588_z.jpg

A new board was constructed.

50600848838_95cbae45cf_z.jpg

50604645436_9c5a11b3ca_z.jpg

50613444806_a668eac3d1_z.jpg

The complete board. I have now revised my plans so the two RH/LH Fiddle yard boards are to be slightly altered so they become dual ended  and can be used as LH/RH FY boards for the next project.

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

First project was a simplified retaining wall made from SE Finecast sheet and Evergreen sheets and strip sub-structure.

50637726217_fcf370a4f0_z.jpg

A replacement bridge for the right hand side then followed..

50641515807_3fd97f6a79_c.jpg

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

The scenic break at the left. I'm using a full size plan of the board so I can do all the work on the bench. The two buildings are based on US HO DPM modules - the red one is almost completely from the kit parts and the white one just uses windows with SE Finecast brickwork.

50660728806_8b48454f27_c.jpg

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

and more work on the signal box.

50648139858_a5efe77572_c.jpg

..although its a Midland box the layout is really inspired by the Liverpool area. However such boxes did appear as at Exhibition Junction at Edge Hill - this photo is from the excellent 8D Association page. It looks like a Midland top on an LNWR base to me...

http://btckstorage.blob.core.windows.net/site3376/Doug.B - 8A Rail/L&M Pics/8D.243.jpg

and Liverpool Central had a CLC box which I also liked. Again from the 8D Association

http://btckstorage.blob.core.windows.net/site3376/Lpool Central Box LF 1971.jpg

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Clearance testing...

50706992917_8a04b0920f_c.jpg

50698840913_23f6b153d6_c.jpg

Gnat's todger springs to mind........

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, sb67 said:

What was it you didn't like about the arches? I like the hemmed in urban setting, the end with the signal box looks good.

You'll see as the thread continues I do tend to change my mind as I go. The narrow arches were fun to build but I caused a bit of damage to the card during building and later heavy handed weathering and it was not recoverable.

Chris

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

You'll see as the thread continues I do tend to change my mind as I go. The narrow arches were fun to build but I caused a bit of damage to the card during building and later heavy handed weathering and it was not recoverable.

Chris

Quite a lot of the background buildings (among other features) were replaced as the build went on as well!

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...