Which thickness of cork do I buy for use with code 75 track and peco platform edging?

As per the title of the thread;

Which thickness of cork do I buy for use with code 75 track and peco platform edging?

I am using peco concrete flexi track and peco platform edging and I want the height of the trains to line up with the platform as best as possible. Which thickness cork will do that for me? Thanks! 

• RMweb Gold

Of course, if you mount the platforms on the cork, assuming the platforms are the right height in the first place, it won’t matter. I guess whether that’s a useful answer also depends on if you plan to ballast on top of the cork. Whilst that won’t affect the rail height, it will affect the look of the perceived relative height of ballast versus platform.  
Personally, although I used Streamline code 100, I did mount both rail and platforms on 1.5mm cork or similar, specifically to avoid that problem. 

I’m using SMP bullhead which is closer to Code 75 with thin sleepers and 3mm cork. The platforms are mounted straight onto the baseboard using Peco edging covered in plastic brick sheet. You should be able to measure the height of the rail and the height of the platform to calculate the optimum cork thickness.

Edited by gordon s

• RMweb Gold

By my reckoning, A Peco code 75 point is 4mm thick (rail head to bottom of sleeper) - I don't have any plain track to hand to measure. The platform edging is 18mm.

Platforms should be 3ft above rail level - for grouping/BR steam era at least - lower for earlier builds, higher for some modern construction - 12mm.

So 18 - 12 - 4 = 2mm cork thickness.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thank you everybody! I have to find out before I order, as I am only able to mail order and don't own any track, cork or rolling stock at this time in 00 gauge. Postage is expensive for me, so I'll be ordering it all at once. I have chosen gaugemasters 3mm cork. 

Thanks again!