CCT for sale in Bodmin

Looking at the link the only sensible options as mentioned above will be to scrap the tinwork body and add a vintage body.

Or even do like we have done with PMV's at Middleton and reskin the sides and ends, recover roof and build a 4 wheel coach from it.  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Is that price real? £111,111?  

Can’t believe what appears to be a rusting hulk is over £100k......

Yes, that was the first thing I noticed. His definition 'sensible offers' is hopefully more realistic than his opening price. Unless that is the going rate for a rotting CCT? I know I'm not that familiar with the preservation scene, but surely that's on the ambitious side?

Seems like the sides will need completely replacing. I'd imagine the underframe will need a lot of rot cutting out of it and new sections spliced in. It would be cheaper to build one from scratch than buy, transport and restore this one. It's not even like it's a vehicle of much historical significance either. There's probably £12000 worth of scrap metal, but it's not worth much more than that realistically.

• Round of applause 1

13 hours ago, gordon s said:

Is that price real? £111,111?  

Can’t believe what appears to be a rusting hulk is over £100k......

I would think it's just that you have to put something in the box or it won't accept it.

£100,000 plus is getting on for ex-mainline locomotive prices.

Doesn't look like there's much wrong with it. Seen far worse restored.

Jason

This is a genuine plea for a dod of realism.....Scrap It!  For pity’s sake please someone scrap it....Scrap weighs in at £205 per ton at present. At least then use the money for restoring something with a realistic change of ever being restored.

Otherwise the ‘usual suspects’ will buy it and it’ll be dumped at the ‘Usual Railways’,....along with loads of vehicles in similar or worse condition, where the ‘Preservation Taliban’ will prevent anyone ever getting rid of it....because it is soooooooooo valuable and irreplaceable. 

Preservation is full of ‘Chicken Sheds’ on PCV or CCT frames.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Noting the original advert - seller states item is rare - 

Well, it's unique ............. the only one in the whole wide universe with exactly that pattern of tin worm.

............ and if you could persuade a potential buyer that it was created by Tracey Emin you could add a couple of noughts to the price.

• Funny 1

IOW would not be interested even if free.

Wrong type of chassis.

This sort of vehicle has limited preservation value, yes desirable to preserve some of each type but limited commercial use, useful as a store but needs to justify its maintenance & siding space.

However it looks quite restorable if someone wants to put the time & effort in to it.

Value "as is" would be scrap less transport & dismantling.

Pete

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

A quick tot up on the Carriage Register shown a few more than one extant ............. something like fifty seven !

They need to all be brought together at Crewe and have them placed back in the old south end parcels roads to celebrate their 70th anniversary.

Also requires all the roof to be put back, the track, source a grotty 08 and find an assortment of Brutes and Royal Mail trolleys too.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Grizz said:

This is a genuine plea for a dod of realism.....Scrap It!  For pity’s sake please someone scrap it....Scrap weighs in at £205 per ton at present. At least then use the money for restoring something with a realistic change of ever being restored.

Otherwise the ‘usual suspects’ will buy it and it’ll be dumped at the ‘Usual Railways’,....along with loads of vehicles in similar or worse condition, where the ‘Preservation Taliban’ will prevent anyone ever getting rid of it....because it is soooooooooo valuable and irreplaceable. 

Preservation is full of ‘Chicken Sheds’ on PCV or CCT frames.

What a load of infantile nonsense. I also think the term "Preservation Taliban" is extremely offensive and pretty disgraceful to be honest.

Do you really think money from one project gets used for another project when that project finishes or fails? 

Better than some items supposed to be in the National Collection. In fact before they were restored the BR Suburbans at Llangollen was in a similar state of disrepair and it's a common problem with BR coaches.

The NNR quad arts were virtually firewood a few years ago. If it was up to you they would have been burnt.

Both sets are now award winning examples of saving our national heritage.

I really do get fed up with uninformed people telling others what to do with their property. Usually the "scrap the lot" brigade that never put a penny into railway preservation but constantly moan about things that don't even affect them.

Don't bother replying as i'm not interested.

jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1