Britain Railways in the 1970s

Legend

• RMweb Premium

Just received this magazine through post direct from Key Publishing 

Looks a very good trip through the seventies with some very good pics 

Organised by year , obviously 1970 to 1979, starts with transition period Green/ Maroon Blue diesels , a Grey Blue Pullman, through introduction of new trains , The Electric Scots , 313s , HST, APT etc etc .  This is very much my decade and looking at 1978 in particular just brings it all back . 40106 was the last class 40 in BR Green , while 56036 was the first loco to appear in Large Logo Blue .

There are separate chapter on Hydraulics, Mishaps and Preservation .

All told looks like a very good publication . As I said I got mine direct from Key . Ordered Sunday , arrived today Wednesday , Post Free although the cost is £8.99 which is steep for a magazine . In this case , though, looks worth it. 

• Like 2

Ordered my copy on Tuesday, along with the Wagonload Volume 2 mag, and received them both yesterday - Great service from Key Publishing, and both are worth every penny. Slightly disappointed with typos in the 70s magazine, however; For example, on page 78, the fatal accident in Scotland last year was near Stonehaven, not Stonehouse, and on the opposite page a fire-damaged Class 123 vehicle is identified as W52103 when the number can clearly be seen to be W52101. Overall however my enjoyment was not spoiled ! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Paul A Biro said:

I got mine from Smiths.

(Found it a bit disappointing though - a year-by-year run through of events but no analysis...)

Have to agree about it being a bit disappointing. The trade union stuff got a bit tedious after a while. I was shocked to read about a collision on the Tay Bridge! It was actually a few miles away on the north bank of the Tay.

I didn't find it disappointing but thought it was a worthy purchase. There are few minor errors/niggles but what publication is perfect. And  it's certainly a lot better than the 'Rail Blue Years' bookazine from Key IMO.

I'm looking forward to the 1980s issue (presuming they'll be doing one). 

• Agree 1