Mystery location - Birmingham area

martinT

Has any one any idea of the location of this photo taken circa 1968 & I think in the Birmingham/Black Country area? (I was at University there 1966 - 69). It is at the beginning of a film so I have no history for it. The following negative, a view of the loco, shows it to be D8139. The next negative is of Barton Street Crossing SB in Glo'ster (& then the LMS stations at Stratford & Evesham)  but my belief is they were taken on a different day. The timber yard inside a quite tight bend together with those irritating cables must help identify this location tho' no doubt it's completely different now.  I've finally got round to scanning a lot of B&W negatives from the 1960s which I've never got round to printing so there have been some surprises but this is the most intractable one! (With hindsight I wish I'd taken more & saved up for a better camera!)

Thanks

Martinunknown-001_1200px.jpg.8160c7db0b8d14ebefbc62ffdc90f091.jpg

1 hour ago, nigb55009 said:

It reminds me of Old Hill near Dudley, coming off the Halesowen branch. I`ve seen a similar view on DVD, possibly Marsden Rail Birmingham.

4 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

The signal looks like a GW type, which may be of some help.  Further evidence for Old Hill?

Thanks both,

funnily enough I spent much of this morning scanning old maps (on NLS website) looking for tight single line bends & came upon the Halesown branch junction at Old Hill. The maps indicate a brickworks on the inside of the bend.  Of course I'd like to believe it to be there but I can't ever remember going to Old Hill (tho' I did go down the Halesowen branch on a railtour 2/3/68). I'll keep looking for other photos.

Martin

26 minutes ago, Mark Forrest said:

Could it be the line into Halesowen basin, which I think was open for tube loads until 1967.

Thanks Mark, & those look like tube wagons. Cobb gives the closure date as 1969 - the same as the Halesowen branch itself

Martin

50 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Old Hill, probably taken from the station footbridge. There was a sawmill on the inside of the curve and the signal is correct.

Thanks, the evidence you're all giving me makes the Old Hill curve certain - all I need to do how is remember when I visited & why!

Martin