Bachmann 31-464A SECR C Class Southern Railway Lined Black 0-6-0 Steam Locomotive No.1583 Lined Livery Question.

Hi, I wonder if anyone can advise me on how common the SR lined black livery was for the C class, and when they might have carried it? It seems a bit ornate for a goods loco so i'm guessing it did not last long??

Thanks,

Bill.

I don’t have a copy of the definitive reference (even though I ought to have!) which is this, but reference to the ‘Book of…’ for the W class tanks (Ref 1) indicates that the first batch, delivered in 1932 were finished in Black lined Green.  The second batch, delivered in 1936 was finished in plain Black, as were the Q class, delivered in 1938 (Ref 2).

My judgement therefore is the lined black livery was applied for the first decade of the Southern’s existence but began to disappear from the early 1930’s and, probably, ceased to exist before the Second World War.

If you would care to repost your query in the:  Prototype / Special interests - UK prototype / Southern Railway Group section you should get a definitive answer rather than my speculations though.

References:

1.    Southern Railway Big Tanks: 4  W 2-6-4Ts 31911-31925, Tibble L, Irwell Press 2016 (see Nos. 1911, page 12 and 1912  pages 16/17 for lined black, and 1925 “…ex-Ashford Works…” page 66 for plain black).

2.    Southern Workhorses  Q 0-6-0s 30530-30549, Tibble L, Derry R, Irwell Press 2019, pp 16 for livery notes.

Regards

TMc

24/03/2021

• RMweb Gold

The original dark green lining applied to goods engines from 1923 was amended to a thicker and brighter  'Emerald Green' from the late 1920 in a bid to try and make it stand out more and also last longer in service. 

The lining was dropped completely from future repaints from May 1935.

• Informative/Useful 1