Indicating route viability

• RMweb Gold

I was wondering how best to use signals to indicate if a given route was viable. What I mean by that is that I have two loops on my layout, an outer loop and an inner figure of eight. I can set the turnouts so that the loops are separate or configured as a single run.

It would be a cute use of signalling to indicate if the various turn outs were set correctly. I could put the signals (LEDs) above one particular tunnel which has three tracks entering it. There are four turnouts involved (one of which is almost hidden) and two possible configurations. Being able to tell at a glance that the turnouts are set correctly would be really handy. All it needs is something to set LEDs above each track. X O O or O X O would tell me all I need to know.

My first thought was something based on electrical continuity but I'm running DCC so even though I'm using insulfrogs that won't work. I suppose that just leaves something mechanical driven off the point switch but I thought I'd pose the question here. I'm a computer programmer so by trade so I can easily see the logic required but it's a question of how to implement it.

Edited by AndrueC

>>>It would be a cute use of signalling to indicate if the various turn outs were set correctly..

But that is a key feature of signalling anyway. You should not be able to clear a signal for a route which is not set and locked.

A (rough) track plan of the layout are under cosideration would be helpful :-)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

This is the plan of layout:1509021394_BigGeomLoopyshuntonedirection2.jpg.2b00995d4275c5147b6790dead61afe1.jpg

What I'm currently considering is 'Wilf's' junction which is left of 'Withering Heights'. If all the turnouts (including the one below 'Withering Heights' are turned out then trains will run continuously from the outer loop to the inner figure of eight and back. If the turn-outs are all set to straight-ahead then the two loops are separate and you can have one train on each.

What I'd like to have are three indicators above the track just below below the junction. 'X O O' would be running both loops as one, 'O X O' would be running the loops separately.

Seems to me that whichever set of sidings you start from you end up circulating clockwise and there is no way to get back into either set of sidings, which must make operating a bit of a puzzle.

You will need switches on the point tie bars, or on the motors if they are powered, to create circuits for your signals.

You could equally use realsistic looking signals to match whatever your prototype is, although the layout would then violate interlocking rules so still draw criticism from "experts".

• Like 1
  • Agree 1