Atlas buys some of the MTH O tooling

mdvle

Hillside, NJ – Atlas Model Railroad Company, Inc. is proud to announce the purchase of a variety of tooling in the M.T.H. Premier O Scale Locomotive and Rolling Stock lines from M.T.H. Electric Trains of Columbia, MD.

Rolling stock molds acquired include the 4-Bay Hopper, Coalporter Hopper, PS2CD High Side Hopper, 40' PS1 Box Car, 55' All Door Box Car, 2-Bay Centerflow Hopper, 3-Bay Centerflow Hopper , Steel Caboose , 50' High Cube Box Car , PS2 2-Bay Hopper, 20,000 Gallon Tank Car, 50' Airslide Hopper, Russell Plow, 8000 Gallon Tank Car, Funnel Flow Tank Car, Modern Tank Car, Crane, Crane Tender, 100 Ton Hot Metal Car, Rapid Discharge Hopper, 75' Depressed Flat Car, Scale Test Car, 2-Bay Offset Hopper, Operating Coal and Log Dump Car, Premiere 70' Heavyweight Passenger Cars, Premiere 70' Streamline Passenger Cars and Amfleet Cars.

Locomotive molds include the E6A/B and E8A/B, 44 Tonner, Amtrak P42 Genesis, Dash 9, SD45, F40, U30C, SD70M-2 with SD70Ace, GP38-2, SD70ACe, SD70MAC, GP40, S2, SD40-2, GP30, ES44AC&DC with ES44DC and GEVO ES-44.

Full press release here - https://shop.atlasrr.com/b-atlas-acquires-select-m-t-h-locomotive-and-rolling-stock-molds.aspx

Also, a video where the show the models they have purchased tooling for

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Let’s hope for 2-rail production of these O scale items, including the GE 44 Tonner, ideal for smaller layouts.

Be good to have a UK importer too!

Dava

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Reading between the lines of what is said in the announcement and the video it doesn't appear Atlas plans to modify the MTH products in any way - the fact that the first item gets announced next week being a clear indication, along with the DCS license.

They intend to continue selling to the existing MTH O market the product those people already like is my guess.

Which includes durability being preferred over accurate details like stirrup steps.

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, long island jack said:

You would have thought with these being O gauge, the stirrup steps on the freight cars would have been finer metal ones!!!

When you take into account that the vast majority of these models are going to be for the 3-Rail market (pauses to wash mouth out :bad: ) - when you have overscale track with an extra rail, and those clunking great steamroller wheels, and MASSIVE 'Lobster  Claw' couplers on your stock, what difference would finer metal stirrups make? :crazy:    :tease: :stinker:  

Thus it is that 3-rail "O Gauge" keeps 2-rail "O Scale" in the Stone Age.... :banghead:

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Prof Klyzlr said:

A real 44 tonner, please a REAL 44 TONNER....
(with center-motor drive, 2R wheels + pilots, and NO Traction Tyres pls Pls PLS!)

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

Ah, you mean like this one? Rich Yoder 44tonner, previously enjoyed, like the real thing.

Dava1CDA68A2-70A6-4134-BD6A-43D3C809CA9C.jpeg.cfd61d23dfcf82cc7bca1777d4395a5f.jpeg

• Like 4

I do hope Atlas make it a lot simpler to know if the (ex)MTH diesels are 3- or 2-rail, and do proper 2-rail versions with fixed pilots and full length corner handrails.

I found the MTH listings very confusing, some versions seemed to have 2-rail wheelsets to swap out but were otherwise to 3-rail spec? Some Stateside retailers would list a loco as 2-rail but use the stock 3-rail photo. Ebay is often not much clearer.

I've not actually seen an MTH diesel for real. I know the late Dave Barclay who was a regular exhibitor at the early TVNAM shows obtained one, a GP40, but he died of cancer soon after and I never got to see it apart from a photo.

I fully expect that Atlas will release a Soo Line GP38-2 just after I finally finish the Weaver one I've had in bits for ages, now.... :rolleyes: :blush:

• Like 1

FWIW as an ex AtIas UK dealer I've emailed them about 2-rail potential, especially for locos, from all this.  I'll post any news, but as a 2-railer I may not warrant any.

The deal with MTH apparently includes what's currently on the shelves - MTH's China factory shelves??  DCS supplies have been passed to a soon-to-be ex-MTH employees organisation with support between them and Atlas.

Their first release will be on March 24 ... next Wednesday!!  But it could be just 3-rail 'in stock'.

Just get back in the garage Jason and build something...!

Jason

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

No of course I didn't get replies to either of my emails, to Atlas about would the MTH acquisitions be done in 2 and 3 rail and MTH actually about their European models tooling's destination ... oh, and happy retirement Mike, yeah right he'll be on the Whatsapp call keeping an eye on leftove... hey Jason, you're in a bit of a mood.  Well Atlas did say they'd have a great announcement last Wednesday.  So what was it?  7 coffees and donuts and a lemon tea will be fine?!?  Back in the bloody garage please Jason (and that was the nice fairy!). 

• Friendly/supportive 1