Ballasting on chamfered track bed?

I recently decided to try out Woodlands Scenics' track bed for a prospective OO layout (my first) - so having boned up on ballasting, I thought it only sensible to have a few test runs and see what worked for me...

Mixed results - but my main issue is getting the ballast to follow the steepness of the chamfer - I end up with either bald patches where the ballast has just fallen away, or a spread at a shallower angle that results in the ballast bed being too wide.

Currently thinking of trying options of removing the chamfer on the track bed / cutting the track bed to the sleeper width, and applying neat PVA to the chamfer before ballasting in the usual way.

But thought I might first ask if anyone has any tips for this?

Edited by PhilT19
correct error

I don’t ballast the usual way, preferring to paint the gaps between the sleepers with PVA and then sprinkling on ballast afterwards. It means there is no rework involved of the type you describe. Not to everyone’s liking but you should be able to mix and match methods by painting on neat PVA on to the chamfer, sprinkling ballast on top and then almost immediately, hoovering up the excess into a cotton rag.

image.jpeg.eea66be2b2b4b896a0a8132ce15ec0be.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

I mix  two methods - glue then ballast on the shoulders followed by dry ballast and the wet water by fine spray and matt medium by dropper on the material around the sleepers. BTW I do the cess first of all.

• RMweb Gold

After ballasting the main part of the track, I lay a snail's trail of PVA glue along the edge using a bottle with a pointy nozzle and then sprinkle ballast along the shoulder.  Just seen Gilbert's post - I do the cess last!

rev IMG_1399 800px.jpg

Edited by Metr0Land

My method is to start to start with one chamfer and with a soft brush build up the shoulder working into the end of the sleepers adding ballast if necessary. A rub with a finger will compress it. A gentle spray of water with a drop of washing up liquid and then with a dropper a reasonably strong mix PVA:water (with a drop of WUL as well) and liberally apply.

Whilst that is drying off, repeat for the next shoulder (if single track or the far outer one if more than one track), once done repeat for the cess between the tracks (if double track or more) and finally finishing off between the sleepers/rails. What works for me, is working with dry ballast and plenty of PVA mix to hold it all - though I must say @gordon s's ballast does look rather good!

I do a metre of double track in about an hour.

Cheers,

Philip