Cab Crews 4mm BR SR

• RMweb Premium

Not really prototype but I could do with some advice.

I have been using Modelu and WM types (and one set of Master Piece ready to plonk, specifically for a Hornby MN ..fitted well but not available at the moment), for various SR  loco's, but despite enjoying painting them they are generic. I have found the seated drivers from all the ones I have don't really fit the Hornby Pacifics. N15s &S15s are OK.

Has  anyone found a particular ready to paint/plonk that suit the Pacifics, both original and Modified. I can fettle things but it would be good to identify something that fits without a faff.

Thanks,

Phil

• RMweb Gold

I tend to use Bachmann figures, some non-railway, repainted in overalls and some have had “surgery” to reposition arms to avoid generic repetition - is there such a thing? It sounded good, anyway.

It does pay to remember that steam loco drivers were rarely static or seated for long periods, especially on a rough ‘un where their ‘arris was subjected to all amount of jarring and banging. Likewise, firemen are generally portrayed wielding a shovel when in fact their footplate tasks were many and varied besides shovelling. This allows us licence to pose similar figures in many varying postures and positions.

On the later classes with what could be described as enclosed cabs, you can almost get away with just a glimpse of overalls!

Edited by Right Away
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Right Away said:

I tend to use Bachmann figures, some non-railway, repainted in overalls and some have had “surgery” to reposition arms to avoid generic repetition - is there such a thing? It sounded good, anyway.

It does pay to remember that steam loco drivers were rarely static or seated for long periods, especially on a rough ‘un where their ‘arris was subjected to all amount of jarring and banging. Likewise, firemen are generally portrayed wielding a shovel when in fact their footplate tasks were many and varied besides shovelling. This allows us licence to pose similar figures in many varying postures and positions.

On the later classes with what could be described as enclosed cabs, you can almost get away with just a glimpse of overalls!

Yup, sounds about right until certain sets of Gaugemaster ones are reintroduced; the 1/86 sets are actually more suitable for size in many cabs a good friend tells me. A little adjustment and maybe repaint works he says. I have ordered one set that was available' Noch figures and noch that expensive (see what I did there?). 

I was looking to see if there were any Airfix Railway Figures around these days, but it seems not?

Thanks buddy, surgery seems the way forward, especially for lower  body/legs for the Packets and Spams; such fun eh?

P