Slaters 4mm brick plasticard, brittle?

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if I've just been unlucky or have others found that Slaters 4mm brick plasticard has of late been very brittle. I've used the stuff since my teens and never had any problems, in fact I'm at my happiest when working with plasticard. The last two batches I've had have been a disappointment being brittle almost to the point of being unusable. Both batches were mail order from different suppliers, both of which are big enough to have a swift turnround of stock so I don't think the stuff I bought has been sat on the shelves for years. It's shinier than usual too as well as being brittle so I wonder if a different plastic is being used? Anyone else share my experience?

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...
On 18/03/2021 at 16:49, Neil said:

I wonder if I've just been unlucky or have others found that Slaters 4mm brick plasticard has of late been very brittle. I've used the stuff since my teens and never had any problems, in fact I'm at my happiest when working with plasticard. The last two batches I've had have been a disappointment being brittle almost to the point of being unusable. Both batches were mail order from different suppliers, both of which are big enough to have a swift turnround of stock so I don't think the stuff I bought has been sat on the shelves for years. It's shinier than usual too as well as being brittle so I wonder if a different plastic is being used? Anyone else share my experience?

ring them up and tell them about it 

On 26/05/2021 at 07:18, Neil said:

I sent them an email about six weeks ago; as yet no reply.

Check your spam folder. For some reason every time I contact or place an order with Slaters the reply ends up there. My last query, about an unidentified part in a kit, was answered the following day.

Edited by JeremyC
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have just purchased a few sheets of Slaters stone variety plasticard and the sheets seem no different the the ones i bought years ago so it may be isolated to a particular sheet type or batch.

• RMweb Gold
On 18/03/2021 at 21:00, crompton 33 said:

I got a few sheets this year all seem to be OK.  I had some wills plastic brick sheets last year. They just broke up when i went to use them. I put it down to old stock.

I have the same issue with Wills brick sheets - the arch liners in their viaduct kit.  Very brittle and almost impossible not to damage when using them for their intended purpose.