Track going filthy overnight

52 minutes ago, Clagmeister said:

Really going in the right direction now

20210325_152825.jpg.86c4f7435dc6ec11b5ab7bf55f1b1b2f.jpg

Hi Mike,

You may remember that I was concerned that you were to solidly attach the layout to the shed wall and that shrinkage may cause trouble. The below photographs shew that expensive hygrometer's shew only what the boards are shewing in any case indicated by way of size of the gaps between them.

Should you know the original width of the boards, this can be done by measuring the board plus the current gap assuming they were fitted up tightly then approximately 2% shrinkage will shew when your shed will reach its optimum humidity.

20210318_202109.jpg.c150af3bc267e2eeb831b1d5e85a2540.jpg.ea4fd11339312c190cb4091a4bba9907.jpg

18/03/21.

20210325_152825.jpg.86c4f7435dc6ec11b5ab7bf55f1b1b2f.jpg.9a2e5b3faa33a1ce713933bb648b77b4.jpg

25/03/21.

Next point involves a dearth of beer and curry !

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 1

Heater just on and off low, but its very well insulated.

Yes Col you certainly did mention it.  I'm hoping the changes are minimal really and there will be enough flex in the structure to cope.  We shall see.

Anyway a nice collection of motive power waiting to work trains North this evening on track that now stays clean.  Yayyyy

20210325_193201.jpg.70b8d5a67e05712ae5399a674f819547.jpg

Thank you everyone for the inputs on here, its been most informative and good fun.  For similar nonsense see my Blackford-Gleneagles thread in layouts.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/03/2021 at 19:54, Free At Last said:

My living room is 29°C at the moment which is comfortable for me. I've never liked the cold.
I don't sweat, maybe down to not drinking much. 

Good grief, there must be something wrong with you.:jester: Your heating bills must be high.

I don't like the cold but ours sits between 21°C - 22°C and it is more than comfortable.

My Missus feels the cold quite badly but that is fine for her.

• Agree 3

On 20/03/2021 at 17:48, Ouroborus said:

Exactly this.  The sealed boxes in which we now live can't expel the water vapour we create.  Open hearth fires and leaky sash windows created airflow.  The rush for insulation in roofs, walls and windows had consequences that were not foreseen

Couldn't agree more. I bought my house 6 years ago, Built in 1914 in has a double blue brick damp course and thats it which has kept most of the problems at bay. (pretty much all the neighbours have had to have theirs injected) The issues I had was that the walls around the chimneys were damp. Opened the chimneys up, swept and cleaned out so air bricks can do their job. Problem solved. Houses/buildings need to breath.

• Like 1

On 18/03/2021 at 17:05, Clagmeister said:

Hello,

New layout is coming on nicely in the double skinned insulated shed.  I have a major issue though, no matter what I seem to do my track (N Gauge) having been cleaned one day by the next is absolutely filthy again.  Tried pure alcohol, vinegar, rubbers, cloth, they all get it clean but by the following day its back to square one.

I just can't work it out.  This is DC which might be a factor but my previous DCC layout Caolisport would last for days without a clean.  I have re used some old track I had, is that it or maybe its just the atmosphere in the shed.

Pulling my hair out at the moment, so any pointers or reasons why would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Claggy

What Mike G says and perhaps the quality of the track may be an issue, on my last layout I could not get ALL of the Peco Code 100 flexy track i needed, so I also bought some other brand (6 pieces)  to make up the shortfall,   If i had any bad running issues it was ALWAYS the  other 6 pieces that had gotten filthy or oxidised.  I ended up having to dig them out and replaced them with Peco stuff.