Wanted: Scotrail Class 47/7

gelboy45

• RMweb Gold

Farish have already done three versions* of the 47/7 in recent years; in blue, large logo blue and ScotRail. I don’t know if the original plan was to have the DBSOs in the shops at about the same time as the locomotives but for various reasons the DBSOs appeared somewhat later. I may be wrong but I think that at the time the 47/7s appeared, the DBSOs had already been announced and so anyone wanting a push-pull set would have bought the loco first. If you knew all that already and are requesting a second run, I suspect that’s unlikely given that the 47/7s were a small sub-class with a relatively limited range (although a few of the ScotRail locos migrated south in later years). But you never know....

* actually they did four but the NSE version wasn’t used for push-pull operations with a DBSO

Edited by Western Aviator

• RMweb Premium

The first (and so far only) 47/7s were released in 2015:

372-243 BR Blue 47701  Saint Andrew

372-244 BR Blue (Large Logo) 47711  Greyfriars Bobby

372-245 Scotrail 47710  Sir Walter Scott

372-246 NSE (later) 47715  Haymarket

One to buy second hand or keep your fingers crossed for a re-run at some point.

Steven B.

• RMweb Premium

I had 47710. It was a total lemon which eventually committed suicide by suddenly bursting into life and throwing itself off the layout at the first corner cab first into a concrete floor. 

I chucked the remnants on Ebay as spares or repair and banned 47's from this and all future N scale layouts...

• RMweb Premium

I had 47710, but it became distressed, got debranded, de-named and renumbered with the addition of  NSE flashes too. Currently awaiting a bit of weathering...

IIRC they were slow sellers at the time, and many 701 and 715s ended in the bargain bins.

• RMweb Premium

Me too, many thanks Willoughby!  I looked for these on the internet some months ago but no trace of any new ones out there. Just hope these are in good nick and not covered in mould at the back of a cupboard!

• RMweb Premium
On 19/03/2021 at 18:35, John M Upton said:

I had 47710. It was a total lemon which eventually committed suicide by suddenly bursting into life and throwing itself off the layout at the first corner cab first into a concrete floor. 

I chucked the remnants on Ebay as spares or repair and banned 47's from this and all future N scale layouts...

I've just bought a good 47 from Osborn's (green D1779); like you, (?) I've found them the most difficult Farish diesel for good running;  it's always best to be persistent and return any sub-standard ones to the shop rather than trying to sort them out yourself (bitter experience!)

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Crepello said:

I've just bought a good 47 from Osborn's (green D1779); like you, (?) I've found them the most difficult Farish diesel for good running;  it's always best to be persistent and return any sub-standard ones to the shop rather than trying to sort them out yourself (bitter experience!)

Well they were named Duffs for a reason, with the 47/7s being Shove Duffs of course.....

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Davexoc said:

Well they were named Duffs for a reason, with the 47/7s being Shove Duffs of course.....

No doubt my one was a duff Shove Duff! Waiting for the Hereford one with some trepidation.

• RMweb Premium

Well out of the 12 I have, 47535 developed a split gear, and 47474 developed two split gears, one on each bogie. Strangely one bogie was thick in grease, the other not so. They range from the first release through to last but one batch, so not that bad a record.

Running quality varies a little, but of all of them, 47096 is probably the quickest, but then it hasn't got ETH to slow it down.......

• Funny 1

The main problems with 47s are  (1) terrible pickups that lose connections easily (2) gear housings on the bottom of the bogie that foul Peco points.

The first can be solved by some tweaking - a good model shop should be able to help if you aren't confident to do it yourself.  Gear housings can be carefully filed down - you only need to take off a sliver of plastic.

The motor is also fairly poor by modern standards, but you can't do a lot about this.

These fixes should be okay when buying secondhand.  My motto when buying new is "if it isn't perfect, send it back" - at the prices now being charged you shouldn't be expected to fix poorly-built models yourself.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Crepello said:

It's occurred to me that I've never seen evidence that the 47/7s on he Edinburgh-Glasgow route had snowploughs fitted. Does anyone know if they did?

Me neither, not in Scotland, or in later life south of the border.

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Davexoc said:

Me neither, not in Scotland, or in later life south of the border.

Presumably they didn't, as clearly the DBSOs at the other end would have had no ploughs either.

On 01/04/2021 at 11:37, Crepello said:

It's occurred to me that I've never seen evidence that the 47/7s on he Edinburgh-Glasgow route had snowploughs fitted. Does anyone know if they did?

Just checked and in every photo of a 47/7 I've got, not one has ploughs fitted from plain blue to privatisation liveries. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Scottish 47/4s certainly carried them, plenty of images of them, just not 47/7s...

Plus 47004 seems to have retained them when it moved south and got repainted in two tone green at OC.

I wonder if fitment made brake block changes awkward, as they do seem to obscure the slack adjusters.....