Road Bridge & Signal Box in N Gauge

TrainMan2001

Hey everyone! After starting building projects and some coaches (coaches shown here), I figured not having a layout would be weird. I was able to make a track plan using some paper Peco points. I decided that I would do Elsbridge.

Thomas-Goes-Fishing-RS2.png

Image from TTTE Wikipedia

There is some operational interest:

-It has a dairy, where milk is delivered from Ffarquhar (Or does that make it a creamery? Does it matter?) Which means I can have an incoming milk churn van and an outgoing tanker in the schedule.

-It was the terminus of the line before the bridge across the River Els was built, so I'd assume it has some goods sidings that would remain operational.

The layout era will be between Tank Engine Thomas Again and Toby the Tram Engine, so between 1925-1953. I don't think there were any significant changes except for who appears on the line, so it should be fine. I'll be trying to go as realistic as I can, but the faces will stay. I figure it'll be nice to see a face on something, and the people will probably be too small for that.

Here's the track plan:

20210318-142516.jpg

The track to the dairy (where the tanker is) has potential to go through some changes. Also, the dairy will probably end up being "Off layout," or basically a floating building nexr to the board. I'm not going to bother with a backscene because I'd like to add this into a larger layout some day.

20210318-180508.jpg

If anyone has suggestions on things to add to the scene, especially around the yard area, I'm all ears. I'm not really sure what sorts of things go in around there. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of an update:

I got some of the track. I'll be spacing out the sleepers on the plain track to match the Peco points, and hopefully, once it's ballasted, painted, and weathered, the difference in sleeper size won't be quite so apparent (I think it's also partly an optical illusion).

20210327-203508.jpg

I also got the station building and a little yard office/shed thing cut out. I just need to figure out what I want the street side of the station to look like. I'm also thinking about adding a small building connected to the main building for bathrooms (the way the illustration is (see first post) makes it plausible, because it could just be hidden from view. It'll be kind of like the Peco Country Station in OO Scale.

20210327-203711.jpg

I'm thinking of getting 1mm thick cork do go over the board, then cutting out spaces for the points so the rails are the same height.

• TrainMan2001 changed the title to Road Bridge & Signal Box in N Gauge
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, it's been a while, but I have an update. I was able to get cork laid on the board, spaced out the sleepers on the flex track, and I got everything glued down. 

First off, I've decided to make a scene inspired by this one (ignore the title, I need to change it), after deciding Elsbridge would require more compression than I wanted to deal with. The only difference is that it'll be done as a single track line.

Percy-Runs-Away20.png

Here's the track layout:

20210428-163237.jpg

20210428-163245.jpg

After getting the track glued down, I began weathering the track using a process inspired by @NHY 581. First, I painted the sleepers chocolate (that was the color I had to hand), then I painted the rails in rust. After that, I weathered the sleepers using Tamiya mud, snow, and soot. Here are a few pictures of the track.

20210502-175301.jpg

20210502-175711.jpg

20210502-180153.jpg

I feel like this is finally beginning to come together, which is pretty nice!

• Like 1