First Class 91 goes for the chop

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Yellowperil said:

I looked after the 13x 91s at Belmont for over a year. When they finally went for stripping only 3 still worked properly. They weren’t just “switched off” they’d been gradually deteriorating for a number of months.

You clearly didn't look after them very well then? ;)

• Funny 3

17 hours ago, Bucoops said:

You clearly didn't look after them very well then? ;)

Haha, well I'be broken much more expensive kit in a shorter time frame!

However, in all seriousness, it became apparent very quickly that once the pan on a loco could no longer be raised for whatever fault, the vehicles were going to end their days as parts donors. No major work was undertaken on them, just very minor stuff like the occasional battery charge.

91104 in particular had a lovely amount of mould in it...

IMG_0545-1.jpg

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, 7013 said:

They may want a rethink in the light of the Hitachi 800 debacle

Nope

Brining back locos costs money - which will have to be sanctioned by the DfT (Remeber LNER is a nationalised company) and they are firmly in the 'cuts' mode.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Steadfast said:

It'll be 67s, same as the other Mk4s on the Holyhead- Cardiffs. One pool of locos for the lot.

Jo

It’s nice to see Class 67’s being better utilised as I’ve been led to believe that there will be ten in the TfW pool.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cardiff -Manchester route has been under resourced for 30 years.. as soon as they took the 33’s off and put 155’s on, it was a bad move... 2 car 175’s is shocking.

Good to see 67’s & mk4’s.. 

• Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just been to Sims in Peterborough and there looks to be a first class mk4 in their yard.

think the number was 11405 but couldn’t see it clearly and concentrating on not getting squashed 

On 09/06/2021 at 09:43, adb968008 said:

Cardiff -Manchester route has been under resourced for 30 years.. as soon as they took the 33’s off and put 155’s on, it was a bad move... 2 car 175’s is shocking.

Good to see 67’s & mk4’s.. 

the rot set in when you replace three vehicles with two new build as dictated by the treasury! It got even worse with the further splitting of the 155’s into the 153’s.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Hesperus said:

Hopefully the 2 car 175s can be doubled up to 4 car and run on the current 3 car diagrams with the 3 cars replacing the 2's.  Unless anyone knows what's actually happening?

From press articles, the extra mk4 sets won’t be in service until Dec 2022 so will presumably not free up any 175s as the 197s should be in service by then and the 175s starting to go off lease?

Edited by black and decker boy
Typo
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

I see from Real Time Trains that there's been another Doncaster Belmont Yard-Newport Sims trip today. Can anyone confirm what it was please?

I've not seen it so can't visually confirm, but it's reported on WNXX to be 37884 taking 365508.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, 4630 said:

I've not seen it so can't visually confirm, but it's reported on WNXX to be 37884 taking 365508.

Seen on this video.

About 1:25

Not my video, just one I found on line.

Edited by Kris
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

I'm not sure if I approve of them scrapping trains that I can remember being tested and introduced into service.  It makes me feel old

Not the only one who has came to this conclusion as things have came and gone! The entire 14X series have now become heritage!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The main reason the 365’s are heading towards the scrapper is there are virtually no spares available for the 1990’s built 365, 465 and 466 Networkers, as the whole series were fairly unique with a pretty much non-standard thyristor control system.  Good at the time but we’ve all moved on.

I’ve spoken to several ex colleagues at SouthEastern Trains and they tell me that the 465’s and 466’s are hanging on by their fingernails.  The body shell’s might still be in good order but to then totally replace the traction package, you might as well start again with a clean sheet of paper.

• Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

Not the only one who has came to this conclusion as things have came and gone! The entire 14X series have now become heritage!

Noting they were only intended to have a service life of 15 years.

Cheers

David

7 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

I'm not sure if I approve of them scrapping trains that I can remember being tested and introduced into service.  It makes me feel old

I was standing looking at the demolition site that used to be the Broad Marsh centre in Nottingham yesterday, remembering that I was working there, dragging in service cables mostly, when they were building it in the early 1970s!

It was absolutely freezing, just a concrete shell at the time. The day normally went along as an hour or so of work then half an hour in Woolworths cafe next door to warm up before back on site for an hour!

• Like 1