Dapol 0 gauge Sentinel

peterdk

Hi there,

I'm about to order a DCC sound fitted Dapol 0 gauge Sentinel locomotive, and would very much like to fir it with a stay alive unit. My question is if anyone might have a foto and/or a guide as to where the stay alive is to be soldered to the DCC chip, and also the recomended capacity for the stay alive? I assume that there is plenty of space for the stay alive in the coal bunker?

Thanks for any help - Best regards from Denmark 

Edited by peterdk

H Peter

The Dapol Sentinel DCC fitted uses a Zimo MX644 chip and connecting a stay alive capacitor is well covered on the Zimo instructions, there are two solder pads on the 644.  I fitted a Zimo stay alive very easily and it makes a big improvement in the running. The stay alive fits in the bunker.

Norman

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...

Just a bit of a resurrection of the thread.  I've been searching for a late or early crest loco which are not available.  I contacted Hatton's to ask if they knew anything about these becoming available again.  They said the BR versions are discontinued, so that's a blow.  Excellent service though.

I did find a second hand model at Hatton's so ordered that.  It is LNER livery but changing that is not going to be a challenge.

Happy to know about the stay alive.

BTW, how were these crewed?  They are pretty small so perhaps they only had a single person.

John

Edited by brossard

Another question.  Thinking about the livery I am getting which is LNER.  The loco will be placed in time in late 50s/early 60s.  I was musing with a friend about whether these actually got BR livery or whether they ran with faded pre nationalization livery into the 1960s.  Is there photographic evidence?  I know of quite a number of GWR panniers still in their GWR livery into the 1960s.

John

PS, so you know, I have been through the Google Pics for this loco.  Lots of good ones, even a Hornby Mag video review.  However, there is nothing about my hypothesis.

Edited by brossard

• 5 months later...

I have just bought the Sentinel with factory sound. I'm planning to add a stay-alive (as described here) and it certainly needs it. Not only is the loco prone to stalling on dirty/uneven track - fair enough given it's an 0-4-0 - but when it does so the sound appears to toggle off.

Incidentally is there a volume increase function key?

Edited by dpgibbons

To finish the story, here is my repainted Sentinel with BR early crest:

P1010020.JPG.4b978569460611f90aa07b9c0e149e42.JPG

The lamps make a nice addition, one per corner as seen in a photo.  They are from ModelU and are printed with a rear bracket that slips over the lamp iron.  I used a stay alive but it doesn't seem that effective.  It was from stock and probably sized for 00.

John

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1