A Moment in Time 1961/62

ikks

• RMweb Gold

A real iong shot............. In 61/62? on a summer Sunday, I accompanied my family on a black five hauled day trip from Derby to Rhyl ( despite some of the derogatory comments about it, I actually liked Rhyll and the journey along the North Wales coast), On this particular trip were the following items of note:

1) there were two blue electrics parked in Crewe station,not probably unusual I know but I had not seen these locos before.

2) 70054 Dornoch Firth was standing alongside North shed.

3) Just outside of Crewe we were passed by 46200 The Priness Royal on a special/excursion, resplendant in BR Red, even the people in our compartment commented.

4) The train preceding ours on the return trip was hauled by either 70052 or 70053.

My note books have been lost in the mists of time, I think disposed of by others when I moved to Oz.............but the queston that has bugged me for qmost 50 years is what could have been the approximate date???......................Any Takers:D

Rgds..........Mike

• Like 1

According to 6 Bells Junction, 46200 worked a part of the Ffestiniog scenic railtour on 22nd July 1962. The tour didn't actually go via Crewe but 46200 worked from Llandudno Junction to Chester. (Sorry looking at the wrong year on original post) 22nd July 1962 was a Sunday. 

Edited by jonny777
brain fade
  • Thanks 1

70053 and 70054 were both officially Holbeck locos at that time, but were transferred to Crewe North during early August of that year. 

Edited by jonny777
  • Thanks 1

...... And there's more. On the same day (22/7/62) BR ran an excursion from Sutton In Ashfield to Llandudno which was routed via Derby Friargate and Rhyl. 

Unfortunately, the blue electrics could be almost anything by that date. All the AL1s to AL4s had been delivered and the AL5s were up to E3070 by then. 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jonny, I reckon you might have nailed it!!, I guess 46200, would have been unlikely to have started the journey from Sutton( I could well be wrong) but could have likely been attached at Crewe,she was overtaking us on the way to Rhyl. So probably Brit 70053 then. The thing that struck me about the electrics was their striking livery and the silver numbers and insignia, just taken delivery of Bacchys electric blue AL5 and if H ever do 46200 in late BR red, I will be able to re-create the scene:D.

Probably stupidly, this has been with me for many years, I think you have given me me an answer I never thought possible and for that I sincerely thank you.

Rgds......Mike

• Like 1

This is almost a stupid coincidence. Whit Saturday 1962 our family was en route to Llandudno where dad had to attend a conference whilst we would have a family holiday at someone else's expense. The journey involved a change of train at Chester and my day was made by the sight of a huge red engine simmering away outside the shed. This was my first ever sighting as a seven year old of a loco that wasn't black or occasionally green and the memory has stuck. I didn't write down the name or number and over the years convinced myself that it was City of Chester but maybe not! Memories!!!!

• Like 1