Lima 0-6-0 tank engines and traction tyres.

Hi all,

I have just had a reply from Peters spares when I asked the if the sold traction tyres for the Lima 0-6-0's. They said that they never had any fitted. So no luck there. But looking at the  5 J50's and 2 Panniers I have they all have a traction tyre on the right hand rear wheel opposite the wheel with the gearing. Some of them need to be replaced. I would like to know if any one knew where I could get them. I want to replace them all so will need 7. Hopefully if some one sells them they will come in packs of 10.

That is very unusual.  I too have never seen a Lima 0-6-0 with traction tyres though it does make sense as they have pick up on front and centre wheels.  However I have never seen a traction tyre on the wheel without a drive gear on anything Lima either.  I wonder if these were very early production examples. The Class 37 and 47 tyres might fit, obviously the 50/55 ones are far too small, otherwise the Lima 0-6-0 wheels are a bit unusual being around 17mm from memory while Hornby 0-6-0 are nearer 19mm.  Generally I find slightly 1mm or so undersize traction tyres work as well as or better than "Correct" size ones.

I had several J50 and Pannier chassis over the years, I fitted crankpin fitted centre wheels to some, and computer motors but I finally gave up, due to pick up issues and sold most of them on eBay.   I stlll use Lima Diesels exclusively in the garden and have a nice 4589 on my mantlepiece and a Pannier with a Bachmann chassis and a J50 waiting to become a Q1. 

Hi David. Shame you did not remedy the pick up issues. It is really quite simple to do. I have just done one. I took an old Triang 2-6-2 pick up and split brass pick up  in to 2. then glued one on either side of the plastic baseplate so that the pick up brushed the flange of the wheels. It was then just a case of a loop of fine black wire going to the 2 pick up points on the chassis. And yes it made a huge difference to it's running. Can you tell me how you coupled the middle wheels as that is my next experiment i will try on the spare chassis I am using(torturing) to see if things work.

18 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

That is very unusual.  I too have never seen a Lima 0-6-0 with traction tyres though it does make sense as they have pick up on front and centre wheels.  However I have never seen a traction tyre on the wheel without a drive gear on anything Lima either.  I wonder if these were very early production examples. The Class 37 and 47 tyres might fit, obviously the 50/55 ones are far too small, otherwise the Lima 0-6-0 wheels are a bit unusual being around 17mm from memory while Hornby 0-6-0 are nearer 19mm.  Generally I find slightly 1mm or so undersize traction tyres work as well as or better than "Correct" size ones.

I had several J50 and Pannier chassis over the years, I fitted crankpin fitted centre wheels to some, and computer motors but I finally gave up, due to pick up issues and sold most of them on eBay.   I stlll use Lima Diesels exclusively in the garden and have a nice 4589 on my mantlepiece and a Pannier with a Bachmann chassis and a J50 waiting to become a Q1. 

Hi David. How did you fit the centre crank pin in place and did work. I have the rear pick ups sorted as I have said. Would be nice to see a post of how you did it.

On 21/03/2021 at 10:30, cypherman said:

Hi David. How did you fit the centre crank pin in place and did work. I have the rear pick ups sorted as I have said. Would be nice to see a post of how you did it.

I drilled out the dummy centre crankpin mark in the coupling rod and fitted a spare pair of leading driing wheels in the centre position.

I couldn't see any way to attach crank pins to the original plain centre wheels.

38 minutes ago, DavidCBroad said:

I drilled out the dummy centre crankpin mark in the coupling rod and fitted a spare pair of leading driing wheels in the centre position.

I couldn't see any way to attach crank pins to the original plain centre wheels.

Hi David.

That's what I had planned. It is now just a case of getting a sufficient supply of wheels to do my 7 locos. Getting cheap chassis for this engine and the Pannier is becoming hard to find. One chassis should provide 2 sets of wheels , Therefore 2 engines can be done. So I just need to find 3 more chassis..... :). Are the crank pins screwed in or are they a pressure fit. Can you tell me did it make any difference to the running and pulling power. or was it just a lets see if I can do it exercise. I one respect I suppose I am asking is the cost worth the effort.

Edited by cypherman

Unfortunately I don't think you can use the drive side rear wheel in the centre position, it may be possible to cut the drive gear off but I only used front wheels in the centre position.  Best of luck with it.

Hi all,

Just to let everyone know that these  Hornby X8101 Neoprene Traction Tyres L6241 - Pack of 10 are a perfect replacement for the rear traction tyre on the Lima 0-6-0 tank engines. I bought them from Ebay. I paid £6.95 including postage.

Edited by cypherman

• 1 month later...
On 20/03/2021 at 16:04, DavidCBroad said:

I must have had an off day as we have no models in stock to check, my memory told me they didn't have tyres.