Fowler LMS Dock Tank 0-6-0

k22009

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Last call for anyone that may be interested in a set of etches for the Dock Tank, i've revised the artwork to also include for OO, EM and P4 spacers, i'll hopefully be placing an order next week.

PM me if you are and i can let you know the details.

Dave

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have received one of Dave’s kits for the dock tank and I must say it’s a very well thought out package in my opinion 

nice etches, some resin castings for tank fillers chimney dome and backplate

And a well thought out set of instructions.

Edited by Asterix2012
Correction of predictive text
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Excellent looking work.  Always had a particular soft spot for these locos but their valve gear is even more fiddly and delicate than on other engines where I've really struggled.  It's difficult enough to do on a 7mm one which I've repaired from time to time, but surprisingly it has proved to be one of the most reliable locos on that layout for half a century.

I like the ability of such short wheelbase locos to go round curves the size of a dinner plate, which of course is the same reason the prototypes were ideal for their role.

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Always had a particular soft spot for these locos but their valve gear is even more fiddly and delicate than on other engines where I've really struggled. 

Thanks for all the kind remarks.

The valve gear is particularly small however i find if you do most of the preparatory work with the parts still on the etch ie opening up the holes to suit whatever rivet or pin you choose, i always use brass black to stop the part of the item from being soldered together so that gets applied before cutting out too. Remove them from the etch and lay them out in the configuration they will be assembled and do each joint slowly and carefully. I use lace pins and it can be difficult to judge how tight to make the joint so that in the end it's not too loose but also not to tight, i guess it's just trial and error to start. Perhaps try a few joints with scrap etch to start to get a feel for it. There is a spare set of valve gear on the etch too which i thought would provide a useful backup in case anything went awry. It's also useful to think how it will all work and which part is pivoting or rotating about which. There will always be compromises as to which part needs to be a fixed point to stop the whole thing flailing around like a dervish.

I hope to see a few more Dock Tanks appearing here soon.

Dave

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Gentlemen,

I am in the process of building the Mercian kits in O and HO. I am at the point of installing the tank braces and noticed a couple of details that seem to have been over looked due to the lack of a proper GA and the similarity of this loco to the Jinty. Mainly it is the location of the tank fillers and lifting brackets.

On the accompanying photo clippings it seems the tank fillers are a lot further aft than we all thought and the front lifting brackets are where the tank fillers are assumed to be located.

This post is meant for information and is in no way intended to detract from the excellent work done by k222009.

Best regards

Mark

Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 12.01.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 12.00.35 PM.png

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

That is a view I do not have, thanks for posting it. Apart from clearly showing the locations of the tank fixing brackets it confirms the location of the filler between them.

As for the absence of lifting brackets on this loco, just one more mystery to ponder.

Best regards

Mark