O Gauge class 47 replacement gears

norman

I noticed this statement on the Gaugemaster spares page:

What about replacement gears? Replacement gears for the early O gauge models which suffered the split gear problem will continue to be available. However, just to make clear again, this problem was resolved more than 10 years ago and only affects a small number of the earlier models (Class 26, 33, early split headcode 37/0) dating from 2004-07. It does not affect anything produced since.

But the class 47 is not even listed as far as I can see

I have a class 47 with a split gear - it was fine last time I ran it about 3 years ago but now one gear is split and I need a replacement. Does anyone have any spares they are willing to sell please?

Thanks Hal

OK I have ordered - free post plus £2.50 handling I'm not impressed. 

I wonder why they are not listed as spares though, it seems illogical that a spare in high demand is omitted. 

Norman

PS in line with Heljan's statement that the issue of split gears was resolved 10 years ago it seems they missed me (and many others) out when this was done.  Hopefully it's not a recurring nightmare and I will not have to replace any more.  This however will be gear number 9 that I have changed out.

Norman 

3 minutes ago, norman said:

PS in line with Heljan's statement that the issue of split gears was resolved 10 years ago it seems they missed me (and many others) out when this was done.  Hopefully it's not a recurring nightmare and I will not have to replace any more.  This however will be gear number 9 that I have changed out.

Norman 

Their definition of 'resolved' is that they tweaked the design on the later models to stop it

happening again, nothing about fixing the models affected, or helping the people who had

bought them!

By email Heljan in Denmark have said that the correct gear (20/14) will be in stock at Gaugemaster within 10-14 days.  The correct part number is 19854780 this will fit the 37, 47 etc.  The labelling currently at Gaugemaster is incorrect.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, norman said:

By email Heljan in Denmark have said that the correct gear (20/14) will be in stock at Gaugemaster within 10-14 days.  The correct part number is 19854780 this will fit the 37, 47 etc.  The labelling currently at Gaugemaster is incorrect.

That makes sense as the 33 type has been redesigned with a smooth axle but the 47 as shown hadnt, which seemed odd. Hopefully these are going to be free running now as well.

• 4 months later...

Hi All.

I have just completed the sale of all of my 'O' gauge items.  Checking my spares box, I found a set of 4 brass gears that are designed for the early Class 33 or possibly the 26?  I cannot list on the U.K. on-line trading site, and wonder if anyone is interested in purchasing them from me?  I had originally successfully bid on a used Heljan 'O' Class 33 in fairly good condition. The owner advised that it needed a new gear.  Unfortunately the sale fell through, and I am left with the Jim Snowdon designed gear set that I purchased (the last set available at the time).  The set of 4 gears have not been used., and I believe that they are from Ultrascale.  Please contact if interested or if you know of someone who may be needing a set.  WF Canada.