Need help finding traction tyres for Lima 0-6-0 tank engines.

Hi all,

I asked this question in the general modelling forum with no luck. So I thought I might have better look here. I asked Peters Spares if they stocked traction tyres for Lima 0-6-0 tank engines. They said that as far as they new they never had any fitted. So no luck there. But looking at the  5  J50's and 2 Panniers I have they all have one traction tyre on the right hand rear wheel opposite the wheel with the gearing. Some of them need to be replaced. I would like to know if any one knew where I could get them. I want to replace them all so will need 7. Hopefully if some one sells them they will come in packs of 10. If not does any one know of a substitute tyre. I did think of the Airfix/Hornby 14xx. But I do not know the wheel size for that loco. The Lima wheel is 17.2mm according to my micrometre. 

• 2 months later...
On 20/03/2021 at 10:18, cypherman said:

Hi all,

I asked this question in the general modelling forum with no luck. So I thought I might have better look here. I asked Peters Spares if they stocked traction tyres for Lima 0-6-0 tank engines. They said that as far as they new they never had any fitted. So no luck there. But looking at the  5  J50's and 2 Panniers I have they all have one traction tyre on the right hand rear wheel opposite the wheel with the gearing. Some of them need to be replaced. I would like to know if any one knew where I could get them. I want to replace them all so will need 7. Hopefully if some one sells them they will come in packs of 10. If not does any one know of a substitute tyre. I did think of the Airfix/Hornby 14xx. But I do not know the wheel size for that loco. The Lima wheel is 17.2mm according to my micrometre. 

I must have had an off day as we have no models in stock to check, my memory told me they didn't have tyres.

I had a Lima J50 and am certain it didn't have traction tyres, but the memory does play tricks on you. I put the body on a Tri-ang chassis as a youngster but if I ever find the original then @cypherman you are welcome to the wheels ! Don't people use Bullfrog Snot to replace traction tyres?

3 hours ago, Barclay said:

I had a Lima J50 and am certain it didn't have traction tyres, but the memory does play tricks on you. I put the body on a Tri-ang chassis as a youngster but if I ever find the original then @cypherman you are welcome to the wheels ! Don't people use Bullfrog Snot to replace traction tyres?

Hi Barcley.

I was as surprised as any one when I found that there was a groove on one of the rear wheels of the Lima J50 that takes a traction tyre. Maybe it was discontinued with later engines. But it is there and the tyre fits. Could be one of the reasons they never put pick ups on the back wheels and left it basically as an 0-4-0 for the pick ups. I have used Bullfrog Snot with varying rates of success. It has worked great on some engines and not so great on others. Thanks for the offer of the wheels. If you do find them I would gladly take them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

An interesting issue. It would appear that early J50s had traction tyres but also a smaller weight. Later - and this needs checking-  the body was upgraded, traction tyres removed and the weight significantly enlarged to compensate. The increase in weight possibly aided with current collection.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Pebbles said:

An interesting issue. It would appear that early J50s had traction tyres but also a smaller weight. Later - and this needs checking-  the body was upgraded, traction tyres removed and the weight significantly enlarged to compensate. The increase in weight possibly aided with current collection.

Hi Pebbles,

You are quite right. The weight went from a small square to something that basically filled the whole body. it did help with current collection as the weight was basically over the front 2 axles.