Hebridean Light Railway

On 22/03/2021 at 16:15, AngusDe said:

A personal flight of fancy of mine is, the Highland built their light railways on Skye and Lewis and had a rail ferry service from Kyle.

Just let your imagination run wild with the ideas that then allows :biggrin_mini2:

I must admit that my imagination had been trying to visualise distinctly Scottish locos for a light railway in the Hebrides; second hand from English companies is too easy!

However, on reflection, I think a narrow gauge network, along the lines of the Manx or Irish systems, would be more likely. There is a bridge in Carloway where the coast road crosses over the Pentland Road, which I could almost imagine being a railway (although I know that it wasn't). 

Best wishes 

Eric     

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I remember reading years ago that a 3ft gauge system was planned for Skye and formulated a small 'Talisker' layout  in my head.

Motive power would have been based on the Yankee tanks, possibly smaller 2-4-0 versions,similar to the IoM locos.It never got beyond the sketchpad stage though 

6 minutes ago, jamieb said:

I remember reading years ago that a 3ft gauge system was planned for Skye and formulated a small 'Talisker' layout  in my head.

Motive power would have been based on the Yankee tanks, possibly smaller 2-4-0 versions,similar to the IoM locos.It never got beyond the sketchpad stage though 

Perhaps. Something like the Campbelltown and Machrihanish?

• 2 weeks later...

I am, Ken, though I VERY rarely post on here nowadays.

In answer to the question, been there, done that, exhibited it, got the t shirt :) Although, my version went the other way - the plans were for a 3'6" gauge line, and I modelled it in 2'6" gauge using 009. 

My layout is the one that features in the photos in the RM article.

There were several proposals for a railway line on Skye, so you needn't model the narrow gauge one when there was actually a standard gauge proposal - opposite the Kyle station and operating up to Portree. It was proposed by the Highland Railway, so if you went for that you could have the fun I've had and imagine what could have been for one of the other proposals.

More info on what I got up to on my website: https://hlrco.wordpress.com 

Here's a teaser: 

22528330335_0f86ce0a98_k.jpgimage by invercloy, on Flickr

Edited by invercloy
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 23/03/2021 at 20:10, jamieb said:

Where do you have the info on the motive power from? I've done LOADS of digging into this proposal, seen the documents lodged with the Board of Trade that are now in the National Archives, but never found any firm information on the motive power. There was provision for steam or electric, and it was 3'6", but I've never seen anything on the HLR relating to motive power.

1 hour ago, invercloy said:

Where do you have the info on the motive power from? I've done LOADS of digging into this proposal, seen the documents lodged with the Board of Trade that are now in the National Archives, but never found any firm information on the motive power. There was provision for steam or electric, and it was 3'6", but I've never seen anything on the HLR relating to motive power.

The bit about motive power was just MY INTENTIONS should a layout ever be built.There was no basis in fact,sorry if I seemed to suggest otherwise

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, lmsforever said:

IIIt was a great shame that the railway on Sky closed as it seemed to be really getting established with good passenger loadings and some interesting locos plus a good volunteer base ,it must of been heart-breaking to pull it all up and sell the lot.

Have I missed something?  Never heard of a railway in Skye. Are you sure you don't mean Mull where there was a line taking passengers from Craignure to Torrosay Castle?  I think that line was dismantled

• Like 1

The line on Mull  went from the ferry to a castle and did quite a good business but the castle changed hands and closed to the public and the line lost all customers , and had to shut pity as they had some stunning views along the way especially by the turntable .Hope the model railway club has kept going as they had a large clubroom and some good layouts .

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another railway in the islands was on Raasay, from iron mines to a large hopper at the top of a hill, presumably to load directly in to ships below. I believe it was cable worked though. I've not seen any photos of it in use (or even present as anything other than an abandoned track bed and some remaining viaduct pillars).

Edited by Reorte