Zimo mx644c in Bachmann 24/1

meatloaf

Hi 

Recently installed the above decoder into a Bachmann 24/1. Its got the digitrains sound file on it. Sounds great and the built in speaker is reasonnable for now.

However, sometimes it stalls for no apparent reason. Sometimes needing a bit of prodding to get going again and even then it will slightly move and cut off again. Its not just on pointwork it does it on plain track as well. 

Track and loco wheels are clean. Points are insulfrogs. I would change to elcectrofrogs totally but i have some SL-90 slips that are only available in insulfrog.

I tested the loco with a standard Bachmann decoder and it runs great no issues at all crawling over the same trackwork.

So are zimo sound chips more sensitive than normal decoders?

I have a Bachmann 121 with factory fitted zimo sound chip and thats fine so not sure what the issue is.

In my own experience,  I found ZIMO chips more forgiving than ESU when it came to stalling .

I have a 24/1 too albeit unchipped .

No problems on DC .

Does it stall if you fit another sound /non sound chip on that loco ? 

If it does , then perhaps pick ups contact with wheel may be an issue .

Broken wire perhaps ? .

I have several ZIMO chips and most if not all came with a small stay alive for the user to fit .

If that's still the case , you might have to get the soldering iron out 

HTH 

Albie 

• RMweb Gold

I had a similar problem with the new Bachmann 24 when I fitted it with an ESU Loksound 5 decoder. After checking wipers, wires, etc. and cleaning everything the problem remained. So I decided to remove the capacitors (RF suppressors) from the motor casing and that resolved the problem. You will have to remove the PCB to get to them, but thanks to all wiring being fitted with micro plugs it’s a straightforward job. While I had the PCB out I also removed the factory fitted speaker and enclosure, replacing them with two ESU sugar cube speakers wired in parallel (4 ohm), this certainly improves the sound quality and volume. (Not sure if that particular Zimo decoder needs a 4 or 8 ohm speaker though).

Hope this helps,

Peter

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well just to update..

Got it running again over the weekend after completing a new baseboard and its now perfectly fine. As its a new layout ive used new points and track and im yet to see an issue. Got a double slip on the way so will have to see what its like over that.

It probably does not like the shorting on the Insulfrogs. When you lay the Insulfrogs, link the frog rails and wire them as Electrofrogs, that way you will eliminate the shorting and things should be better. It is much easier to do this when laying the track.