Accessing Wipers on a Hornby King Tender

BWsTrains

The latest King has all wheel pickups but after some time running became less reliable with occasional resets of the Sound Project. On searching it was clear I had no pickup from my Tender wheels but then I struck a problem with removing the keeper Plate to access the wipers.

Getting this far was easy. Two screws, front and rear appear to hold the plate as well as 4 lugs for alignment. Two of these would not give even under moderate force, suspecting CA had been applied I dripped a tiny drop of acetone to free them but the plate remained in place. (PS I think it was not CA but just a tight fit holding this in place)

IMG_5577.JPG.3954808ba9edcaacdac33f0491d1e9be.JPG

The simple answer was there is another screw cunningly hidden away under the water scoop. This pulls out easily to reveal the screw head. Now access to wipers is easy once the plate is lifted off.

I could not find a reference to this anywhere so post this for others' benefit . Then perhaps it's common knowledge and I'm just catching up? :scratchhead:

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Informative/Useful 3

11 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Haven't got a King but these little snippets stick in the memory and always good to know. Thanks for sharing the learning :)

thx.

I haven't looked yet but may well be the same for other modern toolings of GWR Tender locos.

• Like 2