wills /SEF Metro Tank

I have on the workbench an old Wills unbuilt Metro Tank , Ive also bought a new SEF Chassis hoping to build to a fairly modern spec, upon examination of the chassis im trying to work out the beam compensation? Anyone built one on the new chassis and got any photos please?

It's quite possible the BCR borrowed an engine from the Great Western but far more likely it was a 517 class as the BCR had one of their own and the drivers would obviously be more used to driving the class accordingly

On 22/03/2021 at 19:40, russell price said:

Thank you I will digest the details.. Now if anyone can identify any of the class loaned to the Bishops Castle railway would be good!!! 
Did you compensate yours or build rigid? 

Despite mine being an 00 model I think I used the em spacers as I wanted the frames as wide apart as poss to get a wider gearbox in, one of the High Level high geared ones sa I wanted a super slow loco for a shunting plank. With 00 wheel and track standard there is enough sideways movement between the wheels and rail-head.

I needed no side-play in the driving wheels but I narrowed the chassis over the front wheels into a Y to allow lots of side pay there.

The leading wheel chassis holes are opened out to clear the axle twisting, whilst it is held and rides in a central 2mm bearing sold for tenders and is held in place by a U shaped wire spring. This was idea was copied from the Mainly Trians 2-4-0 chassis for there little Welsh loco.

Not so much constructed with side play as much as just a sloppy fit between the wheels. It can grind around radius 2 curves in an emergency and is happy on PECO 2 foot radius points.

Apart from shortening the rear a little because I shortened the rear bunker a bit, the rest is assembled as the instructions. No fancy chassis tricks and no jigs. Markits wheels.

Because I went for the open cab look it did not have much room for a motor and I went for a short motor and tall gearbox combination. I did not use the etched cab floor that was offered with the chassis just used all the white metal parts form the body kit which gave a slightly high floor.

metroSEF240.jpg.2aa73411d17b8bf82d8c940a28a775de.jpg

Edited by relaxinghobby
add picture

• RMweb Premium

When I was a kid, steam engines didn't crawl along when shunting, it was put it in gear open up the regulator and and get the whole lot moving, close the regulator and apply the brakes, stop and repeat. The crew got the job done as quickly as possible. Crawling only came in with diesels. I used to go to sleep at night listening to the chuffing and clashing of buffers. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

When I was a kid, steam engines didn't crawl along when shunting, it was put it in gear open up the regulator and and get the whole lot moving, close the regulator and apply the brakes, stop and repeat. The crew got the job done as quickly as possible. Crawling only came in with diesels. I used to go to sleep at night listening to the chuffing and clashing of buffers. 

When I was a kid I used to visit my dad when he was covering foreman at the diesel depot in Dundee, the old Dundee West Caley shed.

From the office you could see the throat of the goods sidings and the 08’s did not hang about when loose shunting either from memory.