glue mark removal ?

cypherman

Hi all,

I have just received a H/D Duchess of Montrose in very good condition with a few minor blemishes. I have fixed all bar one of them with  a bot of a paint touch up. The one problem I have is a small glue mark on the tender Think it is superglue but not sure. Does any one have any idea how I can remove this mark without damaging the paint work underneath.

You can buy super glue remover, Deluxe Materials sell such a product called "Glue Buster". But i'd be very wary about using it on paintwork for 2 reasons,

1. When I used, it seemed to turn the glue back into liquid form with all the problems of liquid superglue, sticking to fingers, etc. Be very careful when wiping it off or you could end up spreading it over a wider area or making the cloth stick to the model.

2. I don't know if it dissolves paint or tinprinting. So before using it on the glue on the tender, try it on a part of the tender that can't be seen to see what it does the the surface finish.

I don't know if there are other ways to remove superglue.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, cypherman said:

Thanks for the info. I might try and mix some paint to see if I can get a decent match first if the glue remover is going to possibly cause a problem before I go down that route.

Considering even IPA can damage some paint finishes, something more aggressive like a glue solvent stands a good chance of doing the same.

• Like 1

I believe the main component of these superglue removers is acetone - a substance that I wouldn't want to put on a piece of Dublo.  If you do want to try it I would suggest testing it on the underside of the tender first.

Some of the paint used on Dublo is so durable that even paint stripper has its work cut out removing it but, on the other hand, I have even seen a quick spray and wipe with Windex remove some paint on painted tinplate - I have seen this happen to a maroon D12 coach and a few track pieces.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, melmerby said:

You shouldn't have set light to it then..........:D

It didn't need to be set alight. I just used a swab dipped in the wrong liquid.... (I should have been more careful!)

• Friendly/supportive 2