Hornby Uncatalogued train sets, train packs and rolling stock ect.

RyanN91

On 23/03/2021 at 20:49, Nearholmer said:

They're actually very well documented, and if you ferret around on the web there are some superb phots of them on "naming day". Someone on RMWeb had done a great job of correcting the Hornby toy to make an accurate model.

IIRC there was an article in one of the mags in the early 2000s (Model Rail I think) on detailing the Hornby toy version, although as I recall the work involved in the RMWeb thread, to produce an accurate model, rather than one dimensionally tweaked to fit the Hornby 0-4-0 chassis, was a lot more involved.

On 23/03/2021 at 23:12, RyanN91 said:

Also In 1981 Hornby released The Lord of the Isles train pack featuring a Dean single was uncatalogued. I think the original was a limited edition. However this was reissued and actually catalogued in 2006 to mark the 25th Anniversary of the train pack. 

s-l400-12.jpg

I think it was a L/E of 5000, and came out fairly late in the year- I've still got mine, bought as a Christmas present when I was 14, from the model shop in Charles Street, Leicester (Apex Craft or something like that?)  From memory, Hornby did the "Lord of the Isles" pack, a Stephenson's Rocket pack and the (catlalogued) LMS red Caley single as mentioned a few posts back in consecutive years, 1981-83. My teenage powers of persuasion must have been pretty strong, as I somehow managed to persuade my parents (they were always pretty enlightened about railway purchases!) to stump up for all 3 over consecutive Christmases, even though they were fairly pricey at the time- £75 or thereabouts comes to mind for the LOTI pack

Edited by Invicta
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, class37418stag said:

Hello everyone 

I never seen Hornby train set of motor rail ?

Hello class37418stag the Hornby Motor Rail set was uncatalogued it was available in the autumn and winter 1989 Argos catalogue. So it was either an exclusive to Argos. Or it was an exclusive to other mail order retailers. Littlewoods and their other brands Index, Janet Fraizer etc. Possibly other mail order catalogues Grattan Freeman's Kay's etc.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

How about the "White Pullman"?

IIRC an Argos exclusive featuring a King Arthur and super detail Pullmans.

I tried to buy a set but each time they were in the catalogue they had sold out!

• Friendly/supportive 2

5 hours ago, melmerby said:

I tried to buy a set but each time they were in the catalogue they had sold out!

Hi Keith, Yes I think I remember this set and other similar ones around about 2003-2007 or 2008 or even 2009 ish in  Argos catalogues where during this period in their history they had extensive extended range of Hornby products which were in the Art and Crafts selection along with jigsaws, cross stich, sewing patterns,  musical instruments, paints, brushes, easels, canvas boards, Airfix kits etc ( off topic I remember the Arts and Crafts section was very near to the pages of  catalogued numbered for a few hundred pounds £ you could buy  a booked sky dive, chocolate experience, a hot air balloon ride, a spar trip, a trip away  a trip on the Venice Simplon-Orient-Express , or a formula one race experience)  the Arts and Crafts section for older children and adults was a few hundred pages and a a lot of categories away from the Virgin Trains 125 and Smokey Joe train sets. These of course that appeared in the Toy selection for decades in the page right next to Hornby's other brand the Scalextric sets. I am sure if you don't have one yet if you hunt around you may even pick up a new unused one on a well known auction site. :D

Edited by RyanN91
typos corrected and missed information added.
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, melmerby said:

I had never heard of this pack but after searching online it would appear that this is the set R2797M "The White Pullman" train pack with King Arthur class E773 "Sir Lavainne" and 3 Pullman 1st class parlour cars

https://www.hattons.co.uk/42783/hornby_r2797m_the_white_pullman_train_pack_with_king_arthur_class_e773_sir_lavainne_and_3_pul/stockdetail.aspx

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, sandwich station said:

This is the Limited Edition Mallard I have from the Marshall Ward Catalogue. I think it was late 80's but not 100% sure.

1.jpg

There was also LMS Maroon Princess Lady Patricia and BR green Duchess City of Lichfield made around the same time. Not sure if these other have been mentioned already. I think they were sold through more than one catalogue retailer. At some point there was also a BR blue Duchess of Atholl.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 minutes ago, mossdp said:

There was also LMS Maroon Princess Lady Patricia and BR green Duchess City of Lichfield made around the same time. Not sure if these other have been mentioned already. I think they were sold through more than one catalogue retailer. At some point there was also a BR blue Duchess of Atholl.

Yes, I have all the ones you mention there. :) Lady Patricia was definitely Marshall Ward, I think the 2 Duchess's were as well.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 23/03/2021 at 13:25, OliverBytham said:

Am I right in thinking the R2888M Flying Scotsman train pack featuring LNER A4 4483 ‘Kingfisher’ and three super detail teaks with nameboards was an Argos-only limited edition? 

3975F831-F9D2-4773-93A1-3C2500C7072E.jpeg.1af376ca595507c50c3aaaac7decb87f.jpeg

6DA007E0-004D-44CE-A83A-42E7C48DD51D.jpeg.5ecaf3de2b470b7f444415afe2186205.jpeg

A very nice set with the full spec A4 and coaches. I have one of these and my list says it was from 'Choice Catalogue' in 2011 for a very reasonable £117.

• Like 1

On 23/03/2021 at 20:27, Dunsignalling said:

I'm not sure if it was catalogued or not, but a few years back, I bought a Hornby Battle of Britain, "Tangmere", not the usual one but late crest with a cut-down tender.

I eventually identified its origin was as part of a preservation era Train Pack, R2308M, "The Excalibur Express" which also contained three Mk2 coaches in chocolate and cream livery.

I know of at least one other acquired on its own in similar circumstances. A bit more digging revealed that, unlike many other train packs, there was no add-on coach pack produced for this one and neither were the coaches available separately. I'm told that some who wanted more coaches bought a second train pack and sold off the loco.

Does anyone know if this pack did appear in a catalogue, and if so, which year? My collection of them is very hit-and-miss. If not catalogued, for whom was it made?

John

Yes, this was indeed the 'Excalibur Express'. From 'Empire Mail Order Catalogue' in 2004 for £96.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
10 hours ago, RyanN91 said:

Extremely rare (well I haven't seen one before) this very nice Irish freight set.

Screenshot_20211008-223154_eBay.jpg

I have this set, £25 from my LMS, long since closed. It was so unusual i had to buy it as it was the only one in stock. Never been run, but a favourite!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RyanN91 said:

Extremely rare (well I haven't seen one before) this very nice Irish freight set.

Screenshot_20211008-223154_eBay.jpg

Wow, that's a new one on me- I know there was some of this in the older days of the company, like the Triang-Hornby CIE-livery Hymek, but I didn't realise Hornby were still doing this sort of pseudo-Irish set so recently!  I think they were missing a trick with the wagons, the cattle wagon surely would have been a better inclusion than a standard BR van?

• Like 3

On 17/10/2021 at 01:06, CazRail said:

This was one I seem to remember, which is one I got around 2005/06.

R1045 Night Mail Express

H3260-L39085024.jpg.a30a24053393f5f1d8c4efd1c0ee2b20.jpg

A great set! a VIrgin trains Class 47 with some MK2 carriages and a operating Royal Mail coach! (I hope we see a Royal Mail operating coach from this era in the future)