Hornby Uncatalogued train sets, train packs and rolling stock ect.

RyanN91

Wow! Test Match.  :D

I tell you what, when I got that one Christmas, trains didn't get a look in. Simple game but very addictive.

They brought it back but isn't as good.

Also had that rip off of Scalextric "Supertrack". Problem was the batteries lasted about 10 minutes and that was it. Slung into the loft for good. Probably still up there. :laugh:

Jason

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

R777 High Speed Train Set from 1988 ( was it also available in 1989 possibly?) Uncatalogued not in the Hornby catalogues but must have been a retail exclusive, mail order catalogue exclusive or whatever. I don't know why this slipped my mind until now! but here it is. It is identical to the R693 High Speed Train Set of 1988 and 1989 (only with one MK3 carriage and not two). It has the rolling stock contents of the Hornby catalogued sets of 1977, 1978-1979, 1982- 1983 and 1984 and 1985 HST train sets. Two power cars and a MK3 Coach oval of track and controller. ( I often wonder why this set and these other HST Train Sets only had 1 MK3 Coach instead of two? As two MK3 coaches came with the 1980 -1981, 1986-1987, 1988-1989, 1990-1992 HST Hornby Catalogued Train sets , (1996-97 uncatalogued InterCity 125 set) (not the Hornby catalogued 1996 20th Anniversary High Speed Train 125 set 3 mk3s and 1 a buffet car).

434747-0.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, railroadbill said:

Thanks, I have got an old Hornby hst but only have 5 coaches,  so maybe I could dig it out and look for a couple more coaches.

Another thing that :o me is when I see an InterCity 125 train set not necessarily Hornby maybe an old Lima set appear ("on a well known auction site") but instead of it containing a MK3 Coach or carriages it comes with a canablised MK2B coach or coaches or someother totally different unsuitable rolling stock such as Hopper wagons :laugh:. Or when they incorrectly sell a InterCity 125 set and they've incorrectly labeled as InterCity 225s and vice versa. I've even seen someone taling a BR Class 43 HST dummy power car on a LNER B12 steam freight train No no no I felt like using my own correct rolling stock and jumping through my monitor or phone to correct it myself!:nea::o

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Wow, those Argos pages show how rampant inflation was in those days. The Freightmaster or equivalent went from £9.99 to £25!

Notice too how much the power controller was, although it did end up being an H&M Duette.

Also, the competition crept in, they were selling Lima sets in later years.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Wow, those Argos pages show how rampant inflation was in those days. The Freightmaster or equivalent went from £9.99 to £25!

Notice too how much the power controller was, although it did end up being an H&M Duette.

Also, the competition crept in, they were selling Lima sets in later years.

I might add the Hornby products from the Argos catalogues until the 1980-1990s. If there are any uncatalogued from the offical Hornby catalogues. Yes the inflation is interesting it also interesting through the catalogues the prices of other Hornby toy Brands throughout the decades and years. Scalextric Pound Puppies etc. Not only Hornby Hobbies products (off topic) but other fantastic British toys Casdon a British company based Est in 1946 in Blackpool Lancashire were fantastic. They made (still do to this day) replica Flymo lawnmowers Electrolux vacuum cleaners, Creda Cookers Hoover Washing Machines Hotpoint dishwashers etc and other branded licensed brands such as Dyson Beldray Morphy Richards etc an endless list of role play toys that look and worked just like their real life actual models. Shop cash registers, with branded licenced food Weetbix Daz Persil Mr Kipling etc power tools petrol station pumps BP branded. Quite reasonable prices as well for the top quality of toys.  Then to compare them to The prices of real everyday items old washing machines fridges etc. Household items. Etc it's a time capsule of British Culture themselves.

• Like 1

On 30/11/2021 at 23:20, RyanN91 said:

Another thing that :o me is when I see an InterCity 125 train set not necessarily Hornby maybe an old Lima set appear ("on a well known auction site") but instead of it containing a MK3 Coach or carriages it comes with a canablised MK2B coach or coaches or someother totally different unsuitable rolling stock such as Hopper wagons :laugh:. Or when they incorrectly sell a InterCity 125 set and they've incorrectly labeled as InterCity 225s and vice versa. I've even seen someone taling a BR Class 43 HST dummy power car on a LNER B12 steam freight train No no no I felt like using my own correct rolling stock and jumping through my monitor or phone to correct it myself!:nea::o

My Hornby Intercity 225 set that I bought with my birthday and Christmas money in the mid 1990's was advertised as coming with a free extra carriage at Argos- great, 3 instead of 2 in the set :)

...except that when it came down the chute, the little box taped to the bigger box in fact contained one of the blue covered grain hoppers. Nice model, and went well with my BR class 06, but hardly the free intercity carriage I'd been expecting...

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Ben B said:

My Hornby Intercity 225 set that I bought with my birthday and Christmas money in the mid 1990's was advertised as coming with a free extra carriage at Argos- great, 3 instead of 2 in the set :)

...except that when it came down the chute, the little box taped to the bigger box in fact contained one of the blue covered grain hoppers. Nice model, and went well with my BR class 06, but hardly the free intercity carriage I'd been expecting...

The Hornby Intercity 225 train set was featured in the Autumn Winter 1995, Autum Winter 1996 and Autumn Winter 1997 catalogues alongside the industrial freight set in 1996 and 1997 for 1998 I think it was the Eurostar set with the Industrial Freightset from 1997 and 1998.

In 1995  ( I was three or four then:laugh_mini: ) there was a BBC Radio 1 Intercity 225 train set as part of a phone in competition or something. I think it was rather special even though it just appeared to be no other than just with a BBC Radio one logo sticker just placed on the box, and some documentation paperwork or and a certificate that was signed by someone but I don't remember who.

Here is the Hornby train sets from the Argos Autumn Winter 1997 catalogue.

And the Hornby sets from the  Argos Autumn Winter 1998 catalogue.

Screenshot_20211202-191826_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20211202-192056_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by RyanN91
Added Argos Autumn Winter 1997 and Autumn Winter 1998 Hornby products.
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, RyanN91 said:

The Hornby Intercity 225 train set was featured in the Autumn Winter 1995, Autum Winter 1996 and Autumn Winter 1997 catalogues alongside the industrial freight set in 1996 and 1997 for 1998 I think it was the Eurostar set with the Industrial Freightset from 1997 and 1998.

In 1995  ( I was three or four then:laugh_mini: ) there was a BBC Radio 1 Intercity 225 train set as part of a phone in competition or something. I think it was rather special even though it just appeared to be no other than just with a BBC Radio one logo sticker just placed on the box, and some documentation paperwork or and a certificate that was signed by someone but I don't remember who.

Here is the Hornby train sets from the Argos Autumn Winter 1997 catalogue.

And the Hornby sets from the  Argos Autumn Winter 1998 catalogue.

Screenshot_20211202-191826_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20211202-192056_Samsung Internet.jpg

I suspect mine must have been the 1995 issue, the box was of an older style, with clear windows to see the stock

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ben B said:

I suspect mine must have been the 1995 issue, the box was of an older style, with clear windows to see the stock

Here you are Ben Argos Superstore catalogue Autumn Winter 1995! And Argos Autumn Winter 1999. I did originally think of posting the cover of the Argos catalogues but thought no. 

Screenshot_20211202-223620_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20211202-193433_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1

Argos 1993 Autumn Winter Argos 1994 Autumn Winter InterCity 225 set. Hornby Thomas Clockwork Goods set red playtrains (original one)  track. And the 1993 Hornby station tunnel car park used as the storage case with the footbridge as the handle a very nice set musical set I think.

Edit no the musical set was the Hornby 1995 Thomas and Friends musical set the same toolings used here for the tunnel cat park station footbridge that became the travel case.

Off topic but railway related Wow memories! I had that remote control Thomas for my 4th birthday 1995 I remember the remote control cable not stretching out very far about 30cm so you literally had to walk very fast when you operated it forward  I have a photo of me with it somewhere from when I originally received  it as a gift!. The Cadbury Dairy Milk minatures chocolate chimney (Which Hornby made I believe don't quote me on that one though!) I had that too about 1998. When I started I did put 10ps in Yes but soon I just wanted the chocolates so instead of 10p coins I put in the same 2p everytime.:laugh: I had that Noddy car aswell about 1992. That miniture cadbury chocolate shop from 1993 at £14. That looks amazing! Toys of today are sadly not like this now! I wonder if Hornby made that? as they did? the chocolate chimney!

Screenshot_20211202-224141_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20211202-224304_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20211202-224059_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20211202-225556_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by RyanN91
Cropped photos missed page 587 for 1993 Autumn Winter. Noticed other railway toys I had.

10 hours ago, RyanN91 said:

Argos 1993 Autumn Winter Argos 1994 Autumn Winter InterCity 225 set. Hornby Thomas Clockwork Goods set red playtrains (original one)  track. And the 1993 Hornby station tunnel car park used as the storage case with the footbridge as the handle a very nice set musical set I think.

Edit no the musical set was the Hornby 1995 Thomas and Friends musical set the same toolings used here for the tunnel cat park station footbridge that became the travel case.

Off topic but railway related Wow memories! I had that remote control Thomas for my 4th birthday 1995 I remember the remote control cable not stretching out very far about 30cm so you literally had to walk very fast when you operated it forward  I have a photo of me with it somewhere from when I originally received  it as a gift!. The Cadbury Dairy Milk minatures chocolate chimney (Which Hornby made I believe don't quote me on that one though!) I had that too about 1998. When I started I did put 10ps in Yes but soon I just wanted the chocolates so instead of 10p coins I put in the same 2p everytime.:laugh: I had that Noddy car aswell about 1992. That miniture cadbury chocolate shop from 1993 at £14. That looks amazing! Toys of today are sadly not like this now! I wonder if Hornby made that? as they did? the chocolate chimney!

Screenshot_20211202-224141_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20211202-224304_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20211202-224059_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20211202-225556_Samsung Internet.jpg

Well there's a nostalgia trip!  Happy memories there, looking through the catalogue :)

Yeah that's the version of the Intercity set I had; I also remember it was a toss-up between the Intercity or the Scalextric Hot Pursuit set, but in the end someone got me the police car as a separate pressie at Christmas (and instantly regretted it, as you couldn't silence the siren when it was running!) 

I really liked that integrated Hornby starter set, where everything packed into the carry case.  The little sister of a school-friend had one that we helped her set up a few times, it was a really neat idea for a junior set.

It does show how the toy market has changed somewhat in 20+ years, if you look at a modern Argos catalogue.  Not nearly so many train sets or scalextric stuff, but then I suppose the demographic has altered considerably since even the 1990's.

• Like 2