Hornby Uncatalogued train sets, train packs and rolling stock ect.

RyanN91

Another set of uncatalogued Hornby items not yet mentioned are the locomotives released in the early 1980s pre-fitted with Zero 1 decoders. These would be taken from the main range but had their own 'R' numbers with the end label (certainly on the few I've seen) description just saying 'Loco with decoder'. It would be good to see if anyone has more information on these.

• Informative/Useful 2

6 hours ago, OliverBytham said:

Am I right in thinking the R2888M Flying Scotsman train pack featuring LNER A4 4483 ‘Kingfisher’ and three super detail teaks with nameboards was an Argos-only limited edition? 

I think any of the train packs that had an M on the end were mail order only but if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will let me know. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, RyanN91 said:

An uncatalogued 1996 Rural Rambler set. 

I can't seem to find it now but I know Hornby did issue another My First Hornby set ( not the catalogued 2000 set with an LMS marron liveried Class D  locomotive, 4 wheel coach and two wagons, the 1995 musical Thomas set tooling with the station and tunnel that clip together housing the track rolling stock etc that turns into a carry case with the footbridge acting as a the handle) of a brightly bu this My First Hornby was a coloured  blue train  I think and it was  a plastic twin track system with I think wagons and some animal figures and the second track was used for a battery operated car similar to the 1988 Thomas and Bertie set.

and similar to the Noddy set. Also from Pat Hammonds 100 Years of Hornby book there is a Postman Pat clockwork train set and the Hornby branded Pound Puppies train set both with a relevant Clockwork 0-4-0T Continental locomotive. 

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Going off topic re catalogue sales, but remaining on subject with  this loco:

I always thought this loco was a figment of Hornby's imagination, but apparently not! I'm scanning my model mags at the moment, and came across an article on what could be the prototype. A GKN industrial.

.GKN 0-4-0T.pdf

Edited by stewartingram
  • Agree 5

13 minutes ago, sandwich station said:

I think any of the train packs that had an M on the end were mail order only but if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will let me know. :) 

I think that was the original intention but the GWR HST set R1230M was in the catalogue and on general release

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure if it was catalogued or not, but a few years back, I bought a Hornby Battle of Britain, "Tangmere", not the usual one but late crest with a cut-down tender.

I eventually identified its origin was as part of a preservation era Train Pack, R2308M, "The Excalibur Express" which also contained three Mk2 coaches in chocolate and cream livery.

I know of at least one other acquired on its own in similar circumstances. A bit more digging revealed that, unlike many other train packs, there was no add-on coach pack produced for this one and neither were the coaches available separately. I'm told that some who wanted more coaches bought a second train pack and sold off the loco.

Does anyone know if this pack did appear in a catalogue, and if so, which year? My collection of them is very hit-and-miss. If not catalogued, for whom was it made?

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
Spelling
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

I always thought this loco was a figment of Hornby's imagination,

They're actually very well documented, and if you ferret around on the web there are some superb phots of them on "naming day". Someone on RMWeb had done a great job of correcting the Hornby toy to make an accurate model.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Dava said:

Was there a Caley Spinner (4-2-2) set with the loco in LMS black? With or without coaches?

Dava

:offtopic:

Not in black in this case, and a catalogued set...The Last Single Wheeler...2009,  2010, 2011.

7501D45D-C161-4E17-B661-C144ACBE1D3D.jpeg.8cee7703503138f77a807133d06ce329.jpeg

http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_details.asp?itemid=3865

The loco was also sold on its own..Limited Edition of 5000, 1983, and in the Catalogue...

C3993995-0880-4AF1-AC86-B2B679BCD159.jpeg.8d1b041ec8ddb668c2e86d46c1ebb9a5.jpeg

EEC6B4D2-73D3-437B-8903-349CB13A5152.jpeg.49cca366bfea9569cabc08907f827b66.jpeg

http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_details.asp?itemid=113

The black loco was a Limited Edition, in 2008...it seems this was also in the catalogue...

97F7845A-77B9-4CC7-A76E-78DE77F9A23A.jpeg.da10562e6c8649e760c629d9c492767c.jpeg

http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_details.asp?itemid=2515

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

27 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Not in black in this case, and a catalogued set...The Last Single Wheeler...2009,  2010, 2011.

The loco was also sold on its own..Limited Edition of 5000, 1983, and in the Catalogue...

The black loco was a Limited Edition, in 2008...it seems this was also in the catalogue...

Also In 1981 Hornby released The Lord of the Isles train pack featuring a Dean single was uncatalogued. I think the original was a limited edition. However this was reissued and actually catalogued in 2006 to mark the 25th Anniversary of the train pack. 

s-l400-14.jpg

s-l400-12.jpg

s-l400-13.jpg

s-l400-15.jpg

s-l400-16.jpg

s-l400-17.jpg

s-l400-18.jpg

s-l400-19.jpg

s-l400-20.jpg

s-l400-21.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

I'm not sure if it was catalogued or not, but a few years back, I bought a Hornby Battle of Britain, "Tangmere", not the usual one but late crest with a cut-down tender.

I eventually identified its origin was as part of a preservation era Train Pack, R2308M, "The Excalkbur Express" which also contained three Mk2 coaches in chocolate and cream livery.

I know of at least one other acquired on its own in similar circumstances. A bit more digging revealed that, unlike many other train packs, there was no add-on coach pack produced for this one and neither were the coaches available separately. I'm told that some who wanted more coaches bought a second train pack and sold off the loco.

Does anyone know if this pack did appear in a catalogue, and if so, which year? My collection of them is very hit-and-miss. If not catalogued, for whom was it made?

John

I think I might be able to help there as my parents bought me this train pack and they got it brand new from a mail order catalogue (possibly the old Parks Catalogues I think it was?) and it might well have been a limited run exclusive, as I never saw it available anywhere else and it came with a certificate.

I think I got mine sometime around 2004, as Tangmere was hauling Excalibur Express charters after returning to steam from restoration in 2003. An Excalibur Express headboard  (which I sadly misplaced) was also in the accessories bag along with the usual accessories and lamps and headcode discs).

Edited by Dan Hill
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Dan,

I already had Hornby's "standard" version of Tangmere but had renamed it as Hawkinge when I ran across the ex-train pack version in one of those blue aftermarket loco boxes on Ron Lines sales stand at the 2009 Southampton exhibition. Once I realised it wasn't a renamed Wilton, curiosity got the better of me and £65 changed hands *.

Once I'd discovered its origins, I took my find along to a group night, only to discover that another member had got hold of one a few weeks earlier and already had his detailed-up and running on the layout!

A friend of mine has done a "proper job" of modelling Tangmere in its modern operational state, based on a 605 Squadron to get the wider cab, and rebuilding a 6000 gallon MN tender to match the one cleverly disguised to look like a BB type that 34067 has nowadays. I understand it's currently out of traffic.

John

* Twelve years on, I see old Margate-made examples of Lord Beaverbrook and 41 Squadron being advertised for more than that. I sold mine (one of each, boxed and only ever test-run) soon afterwards. IRRC, they made enough between them to cover the cost of my Tangmere, with a fiver left over!

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, sandwich station said:

Same set, 2 different locos. City Of Hereford was one and I think City of Bradford was the other. I have both and will dig them out and check when I have time.

Apologies I should have worded it better I ment two different train sets with Duchess in the title. :D

An Argos and Aldi exclusive a BR Class 395 Javelin InterCity Express a slightly different alternative to the Blue Rapier set. I've just noticed there is a typo on my earlier post about the Anglian set the typo is Anglican:o:nea:

Intercity-Express-Hornby-Train-Set-A.jpg

Edited by RyanN91
Previous noticed typo
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, andyman7 said:

Another set of uncatalogued Hornby items not yet mentioned are the locomotives released in the early 1980s pre-fitted with Zero 1 decoders. These would be taken from the main range but had their own 'R' numbers with the end label (certainly on the few I've seen) description just saying 'Loco with decoder'. It would be good to see if anyone has more information on these.

I have a vague memory of those on sale in Hattons with the Zero 1 decoders removed.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

I'm pretty sure they did a black one in the 1980s as I wanted one. I wouldn't have wanted one in 2008 though.

In a pack with the newer 1980s LMS clerestories rings a bell.

Jason

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Going Spare said:

According to Pat Hammond's catalogue, the 'Caledonian Single' was issued as R765 in 1983 as a black special edition for Grattans.

I'm wondering whether it was those. The date certainly fits.

Hattons did tend to end up with a lot of ex mail order catalogue stuff.

And it was nearly forty years ago.

• Like 1

On 23/03/2021 at 17:43, RyanN91 said:

An uncatalogued 1996 Rural Rambler set. 

I can't seem to find it now but I know Hornby did issue another My First Hornby set ( not the catalogued 2000 set with an LMS marron liveried Class D  locomotive, 4 wheel coach and two wagons, the 1995 musical Thomas set tooling with the station and tunnel that clip together housing the track rolling stock etc that turns into a carry case with the footbridge acting as a the handle) of a brightly bu this My First Hornby was a coloured  blue train  I think and it was  a plastic twin track system with I think wagons and some animal figures and the second track was used for a battery operated car similar to the 1988 Thomas and Bertie set.

and similar to the Noddy set. Also from Pat Hammonds 100 Years of Hornby book there is a Postman Pat clockwork train set and the Hornby branded Pound Puppies train set both with a relevant Clockwork 0-4-0T Continental locomotive. 

s-l1600 (1).jpg

I seem to recall this was an exclusive to Toys R Us (RIP).

This was one I thought was rather striking. A Hamleys exclusive, featuring not an 0-4-0, but an A3 and coaches in Hamleys livery. Shades of the Hogwarts Express.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, HonestTom said:

I seem to recall this was an exclusive to Toys R Us (RIP).

This was one I thought was rather striking. A Hamleys exclusive, featuring not an 0-4-0, but an A3 and coaches in Hamleys livery. Shades of the Hogwarts Express.

A fantastic  exclusive set  for a  very much sadly missed retailer Toys R Us such a shame I was moved to see it go  as I am any business no matter where it is big or small local or 300 miles away or even 1000 miles away.  I have seen my Devon High Street lose al of our local heritage our local M&S closed as many others sadly have across the British Isles. We even had a fantastic a shoe shop Ridgeways which traded for over 200 years I did shed a tear when they sadly closed their doors for the final time last year. The same applies to all other businesses which ran for centuries too although (Toys R Us they may return across the Atlantic Ocean who knows they might return here too here is hoping! ) and any other retailer national United Kingdom, the Crown Dependencies and British Overseas Territories and international global USA and Commonwealth Canada Australia New Zealand.  But speaking of other British retailers . I was again deeply moved sanded to see all of  the heartbreaking reasons the passing of the owners wife and the equally devastating for an amazing Manx businesses- Track Shack which traded for over 14 years  for the wonderful excellent Isle of Man  model railway retailer Track Shack sadly ceasing treading.with immediate affect a lump in my throat is putting it mildly. They were fantastic for me for having  the renaming stock running numbers of  Hornby BR MK2 D coaches and a few other locomotives etc I wanted.  I always try to support and use multiple retailers, as I feel it is nice that you have an amazing model railway/ and your collection etc where as something so small  such as a Metcalfe set of 3 GWR bench for station platform to a full 10 car Hornby HST set made up from about 6 different retailers and over the years across various counties in England for example I have  bought rolling stock other products track from visits trips and holidays  from the beautiful English counties of Devon South Yorkshire, Cheshire, Leicestershire, Derbyshire, Cornwall, Lancashire and North Yorkshire and even Wales from Cardiff another favourite beautiful UK city, Carmarthenshire and Denbighshire.(stunning scenry)  Scotland Edinburgh (same as Cardiff)  or the Isle of Man (stunning). or even a few Hornby products from the Republic of Ireland. Where in total you have pieced of every corner of the British Isles from amazing model railway retailers which have contributed to it. 

Toys R Us are sadly missed? :scratchhead:

You do realise they only appeared about thirty years ago and was just a pile it high purveyor of junk that killed off all the proper toy shops and the toy departments in department stores with aggressive marketing practices?

One of the worst retailers I've had the misfortune to use. Good riddance. Can they please take Smyths with them....

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Toys R Us are sadly missed? :scratchhead:

You do realise they only appeared about thirty years ago and was just a pile it high purveyor of junk that killed off all the proper toy shops and the toy departments in department stores with aggressive marketing practices?

One of the worst retailers I've had the misfortune to use. Good riddance. Can they please take Smyths with them....

Jason

When you put it like that Jason I see your reasoning yes come to think of it my local town Newton Abbot had about 7 different independent toy retailers and model shops. By 1980, I guess for exclusives that was about it then. Also I've never used Smyths also they never have stocked any Hornby Hobbies products or any other model railway brands or come to think of it they don't seem to sell many british toy brands either. Edit I've Just had a look on Smyths they now stock a Micro Scalextric set and the Hornby Coca-Cola winter train set. 

Edited by RyanN91
They have two products for sale.

Sorry if its off topic, But several Loco's were made back in the 1990's, when 'shop exclusives' were a relative rarity compared to today, that didn't make it into the catalogue. 

I have one of these, 501 Squadron, in Golden Arrow regalia. Produced exclusively for Beatties. A Christmas present from my Nan and Granddad. 

I've still got it and it runs regularly on my layout, now carrying a new set of drive wheels as i wore the others out and a DCC chip. 

R646-PO_3375339_Qty1_ruler1.jpg.bd2a7d506b79b13231bf14727ba8338a.jpg

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 minutes ago, Dan Griffin said:

Sorry if its off topic, But several Loco's were made back in the 1990's, when 'shop exclusives' were a relative rarity compared to today, that didn't make it into the catalogue. 

Not off topic if it didn't appear in the Hornby Catalogue. :) 

• Agree 2