Hello everyone -

Further to my previous prototype query on modelling the NNML in the Greenford area, I have had lots of helpful feedback with regards to rolling stock and formations.  One of the more interesting formations running during the period (c. 1990) was the Ripple Lane - Thame oil trains, usually hauled by 31s, 37/7s and 47s.  Some internet research seems to indicate that the stock was a mixture of TTA and TEAs.  Before I start purchasing items, my question is - when did BP start painting its tankers in the more striking all-over green livery?  

Many thanks to all.

Best wishes, Adam.

IIRC at the outset that livery was on tanks carrying products such as diesel and ones carrying petrol were in grey with the green/yellow/green stripe.  (They are referred to as class A and class B products but most of the time I can't remember which way round)

Rule 1 applies but it helps to know if Thame handled both types of product?

Also, weren't some of Bachmann's green tanks lettered up for aviation fuel? I'm guessing that would be a little bit exotic for Thame, but there has to be someone on here who has removed those details if you needed to go that route.

• Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, ChrisH-UK said:

IIRC at the outset that livery was on tanks carrying products such as diesel and ones carrying petrol were in grey with the green/yellow/green stripe.  (They are referred to as class A and class B products but most of the time I can't remember which way round)

Rule 1 applies but it helps to know if Thame handled both types of product?

Also, weren't some of Bachmann's green tanks lettered up for aviation fuel? I'm guessing that would be a little bit exotic for Thame, but there has to be someone on here who has removed those details if you needed to go that route.

that's really helpful Chris, thanks, I'll see if I can do a bit more research on Thame, I don't really know what was being shipped there at the time but I know a few people on here who will know.  Great stuff!

41 minutes ago, ChrisH-UK said:

The aviation fuel is a more recent traffic, just happens to use ex BP green TTAs.

Becareful. The long stripes were on both Class A and B tanks - not very common where I went, but the fleets were localised to a certain extent. I don't appear to have photographed all green on other than the Class A tanks. It took many years to repaint fleets - I have plenty of photos taken in the 1980s of SMBP tanks displaying both badges, something applied when they were new 1965 -68. 

Paul