Halfords Red Primer for Track Colour?

• RMweb Gold

I seem to recall reading someone who used Halford Red Primer to spray their track, as a basis for "track grime" colour - but want confirmation in case I just imagined it! A picture of the finished product if anyone else has tried this would be good too!

I ask because I have  a can of it handy, so it would save me having to get another can of a different colour (although other suggestions are welcome for future reference)

Truth is there is no such thing as "track colour". Track varies in colour from a light beige to almost black depending on its use, traffic, oil, grease, mud, brake dust, etc. In model form it should never be a uniform or one colour. Look at photos and decide on the best colour for the type of trackage you are trying to portray.

I’ve used it for other jobs, and my view is that it bears no resemblance to any track I’ve ever seen - far too red and saturated. 

When I painted track, I used dark earth as a base colour, then a brown colour on the rails, but, as has been said above it’s not a simple topic if you want to get deeply into it.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

In terms of "other suggestions" for track I am yet to try the camouflage colours now being sold by Halfords although I have used them for other things. I think the dark brown and khaki may have a role.

https://www.halfords.com/search?q=camouflage

I currently use Precision weathered sleepers as my base colour but I've also used Humbrol #29 "Dark Brown" in a can - I think it used to be called Dark Earth.

Edited by Gilbert
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gordon A said:

Why not try it on a spare piece of track fixed to a bit of board?

I might well do that, but thought it would be useful to see if it had been done before. 

• RMweb Gold

I have used Tamiya Red as it was all I had to hand at the time:

ladmanlow1409.jpg.0475f8f6496ee1ec897260c1a665c58e.jpg

I then masked off the rail and went over it with Humbrol Dark Earth aerosol:

ladmanlow1416.jpg.35337375cfa20b10954f70d99b285904.jpg

and finally hand-painted the rail with Humbrol 113 Rust

ladmanlow1424.jpg.860c108407b4da28eb8d9a181d52b4c2.jpg

Al.

• Like 2

I might have remembered this incorrectly, but in a magazine article (Chris Nervard?) red and grey rattle can primers are misted onto the track/sleepers, followed with a camouflage brown (misted from the sides towards the rail but slightly heavier from above for the sleepers). The camouflage paint does seem to vary in colour a bit as it goes on.

My own experience so far is that I needed to mist grey primer over the red primer to tone it down as otherwise it is really red, but by using the red you get a rust tinge when overlaid with the camouflage paint.

I'm certain the original author said something about wanting a good overall representation without spending too much time and effort, but then applying additional weathering in places as required (weathering powders?)

I should say that I protected point blades with masking tape and scraped the dry paint off the top rail surface with a wooden coffee stirrer cut into a chisel shaped end - a quick treatment with Track Magic (other solvents are available) and I my trains were good to go!

I put photos of my efforts to date on my Woodhey Quay thread (although that track/layout is now Castlebrook Sidings) - links in my signature below.

I would recommend experimenting!

Steve  S

• Thanks 1