GBRf Class 66 - Railfreight Construction

• RMweb Premium

Very nice too! John Smith still coming up with interesting ways to paint a loco. 66793 (and 794) are two of the Beacon Rail locos from Germany. According to the current issue of TRUK they have modified gear ratios and a 65 mph maximum speed, like the Freightliner 66/6s and are expected to work out of Tonbridge.

Could anyone tell me why the ex-European owned 66s have a larger than usual horn housing such as can be seen on 66793?

David 

• RMweb Premium

Full marks for effort and doing something fun, but I think it looks a bit top heavy. At first I just thought there was too much dark grey and too much black on the sides - after all, the Roundel livery was designed around the full-heght body sides of UK-designed stock and doesn't transfer across well. But having seen the edited version, the black front balances it out a bit more and looks much better I think.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Rods_of_Revolution said:

It's nice to have variety in the liveries, however I'm not keen on the application. I would have prefered something more along the lines of:

452784584_GBRfTG02.jpg.351e23faaf980bbe107fb6c779a4a979.jpg

707369312_GBRfTG01.jpg.7f5129e0845841cb32f200e1f9bba748.jpg

Original image by GBRf can be found here. Reproduced in an edited form under the fair dealing exemptions of copyright for the purpose review/criticism.

Got to say that the photoshopped livery (black window surrounds) is so much tidier.

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, newbryford said:

Got to say that the photoshopped livery (black window surrounds) is so much tidier.

I agree. To me it looks like GBRf have tried to shoehorn the Class 60 style of triple grey onto the Class 66, but it doesn't work very well as that style of triple grey was specifically designed to work with the shape of the Class 60. Whomever BR had planning the livery application was careful to adapt it to each class in sympathy with their shape.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Rods_of_Revolution said:

I agree. To me it looks like GBRf have tried to shoehorn the Class 60 style of triple grey onto the Class 66, but it doesn't work very well as that style of triple grey was specifically designed to work with the shape of the Class 60. Whomever BR had planning the livery application was careful to adapt it to each class in sympathy with their shape.

I wonder what it would look like with yellow corner window pillars and the horizontal yellow band above the cabside windows? (as per the 60s)

29 minutes ago, newbryford said:

I wonder what it would look like with yellow corner window pillars and the horizontal yellow band above the cabside windows? (as per the 60s)

This would probably be closer to the Class 60 application. Roof grey above the cantrail stripe, yellow corner pillars and the black around the windows squared off, rather than following the radius of the 66 windows. Personally I prefer the black corner pillars.

1213141294_GBRfTG03.jpg.e7c27d2883b5675d997fe8ab9dd1c4ef.jpg

Edited by Rods_of_Revolution

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Rods_of_Revolution said:

This would probably be closer to the Class 60 application. Roof grey above the cantrail stripe, yellow corner pillars and the black around the windows squared off, rather than following the radius of the 66 windows. Personally I prefer the black corner pillars.

1213141294_GBRfTG03.jpg.e7c27d2883b5675d997fe8ab9dd1c4ef.jpg

Yep - go back to the black corner pillars!

Can I be another in don't like it corner please!

The thing that also jars with me is the fact it looks way too cluttered. The repeater by the door is crammed in and is that huge black GB Railfreight branding on the side needed? Surely cabside and front is more than enough?

Found this from the livery Photoshopping thread via Google, (yes I know it's a 59) but to me simpler is better!

Jo

• Like 1

I like it. They ought to do the other 'squadron' liveries too. Mind you, I'd like see one in Red Stripe and original Banger Blue too.

Wonder who produce the first RTR version?

steve

Edited by steve1
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, njee20 said:

But anthropomorphising trains would just be weird!

I've always thought sprinters have looked face like, windows for eyes and a corridor for a nose. Particularly the 158s, for looking surprised...

No? Ah well...

Jo

• Funny 1