Ace Products - 4mm kit for J69

Lissadell

This kit producer has a large range of locos available in 7mm scale.  But late last year an announcement was made that kits in 4mm scale have been produced for the J69 and NLR tank.

I contacted the owner the other day to enquire about current availability and received a prompt reply that initial batches of both kits had indeed been produced and were sold out.  However, further batches are on order and expected in the next few weeks.

I wondered if any contributor to RMweb had purchased one of these new 4mm scale kits and might be able to comment on “first impressions”.

I have come across a number of threads about various Ace Products kits in 7mm scale, but my interest here is specifically about the newly released kits in 4mm scale.

Very interested to hear from colleagues - particularly as the appearance of new etched brass loco kits in 4mm scale is not that common these days!

Regards

Adrian

On 23/03/2021 at 15:47, Bucoops said:

Curious that they decided there was a market for the 4mm J69 when there is the LRM (ex Riceworks) and the SEF one already available.

....and an excellent CDC 3D printed option and apparently a rtr version to be announced later tbis year.

Paul 

• Like 1

Connoisseur did one as well in the PMK 4mm range. Unfortunately no longer available and even the 7mm kit has disappeared from the range.

Plenty of room for more choice though considering the 3D one isn't for me (YMMV but crude "ribbed" models don't appeal) and the SEF version is older than Noah. Both have compromises, with them being made to fit RTR chassis.

The fact that the run sold out answers the question whether there is demand far better though. Didn't the GWR 15XX 0-6-0PT also sell out? Despite the reintroduction of the Nucast kit and RTR announcement by Rapido.

Personally I would probably go for the LRM version if I was in the market for one. 

I don't think that new etched kits are particularly rare. PDK has released loads over the last few years and have updated some of the older kits (B12/4, Peppercorn A1 and A2 currently being done). Latest was the GWR 56XX with SR D1 and E1 4-4-0s due soon. They are also planning on 14XXs and Large Prairies even though there are RTR versions available.

Also High Level, Judith Edge, Brassmasters, North Eastern Kits, etc.

Brassmasters are working on a few currently such as the GWR 2361 0-6-0 and LMS Duchess. Why would someone make a Duchess when Hornby make one? Because people wanted it.

Don't forget some people build kits because they actually like making them. Bizarre I know. :prankster:

Jason

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Plenty of room for more choice though considering the 3D one isn't for me (YMMV but crude "ribbed" models don't appeal) and the SEF version is older than Noah. Both have compromises, with them being made to fit RTR chassis.

Jason

Did the Wills/SEF be compromised to fit a RTR chassis? I didn't think it did.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Did the Wills/SEF be compromised to fit a RTR chassis? I didn't think it did.

I might have received "duff" information. I was always under the impression that it was slightly stretched to fit one of the RTR chassis available at the time.

However I can't imagine what would have fitted it. Much smaller prototype that say a Jinty.

I only ever had the Grafar N Gauge version, but thinking about one now.

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

I might have received "duff" information. I was always under the impression that it was slightly stretched to fit one of the RTR chassis available at the time.

However I can't imagine what would have fitted it. Much smaller prototype that say a Jinty.

I only ever had the Grafar N Gauge version, but thinking about one now.

RIght from the very first, that is at least 1959, the then Wills Finecast had its own cast chassis designed to take an XO4 etc. If I remember correctly it was reviewed in MRN.

Ace Products have a bit of a reputation in 7mm. I built 1 which was for myself & i would never build another. The amount of work i had to do to it to actually get a model from it was enough to put you off building kits. I wrote a article for the gauge 0 guild gazette. 

From what i have heard about the 4mm kits is the brass is like paper its so thin & many a kit has not been completed. 

If you want a kit for a north london tank or a j69 great eastern thingy then you need to get them from london road models. 

I have built many london road models kits & every single one has been a joy to build with quality etchings & castings. Don't waste your money elsewhere even if it is cheaper because you will not get a better kit than the one from london road models.

• Like 1

On 25/03/2021 at 09:16, Steamport Southport said:

Connoisseur did one as well in the PMK 4mm range. Unfortunately no longer available and even the 7mm kit has disappeared from the range.

The fact that the run sold out answers the question whether there is demand far better though. Didn't the GWR 15XX 0-6-0PT also sell out? Despite the reintroduction of the Nucast kit and RTR announcement by Rapido.

Personally I would probably go for the LRM version if I was in the market for one. 

I don't think that new etched kits are particularly rare. PDK has released loads over the last few years and have updated some of the older kits (B12/4, Peppercorn A1 and A2 currently being done). Latest was the GWR 56XX with SR D1 and E1 4-4-0s due soon. They are also planning on 14XXs and Large Prairies even though there are RTR versions available.

Also High Level, Judith Edge, Brassmasters, North Eastern Kits, etc.

Brassmasters are working on a few currently such as the GWR 2361 0-6-0 and LMS Duchess. Why would someone make a Duchess when Hornby make one? Because people wanted it.

Don't forget some people build kits because they actually like making them. Bizarre I know. :prankster:

Jason

What's bizarre about enjoying a creative and productive activity? Painting, making pottery, cooking/baking, gardening, etc. are popular pastimes, are they bizarre activities too?

2 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

What's bizarre about enjoying a creative and productive activity? Painting, making pottery, cooking/baking, gardening, etc. are popular pastimes, are they bizarre activities too?

I was being sarcastic. Hence the smiley face.

Mainly aimed at the post above mine which was worded as to ask "why bother if a RTR version is coming out?".

On 25/03/2021 at 08:23, PaulG said:

....and an excellent CDC 3D printed option and apparently a rtr version to be announced later tbis year.

Many railway modellers have the idea that building kits is only valid if there isn't a RTR version. Just look at eBay the next time a new model is announced.

You couldn't move for DJH and PDK Thompson A2s when Hornby announced theirs. 

It's not just kits. As soon as a newer RTR model is announced the market is flooded with older versions. Loads of old Class 25s on the second hand market at the moment as everyone wants the new ones.

Jason

• Like 3