North Eastern Region NE prefix on coaching stock.

jsp3970

Hopefully someone can answer this, and provide proof if the answer is yes.

Did any coach, EMU or DMU carry the NE prefix? My father, who worked for BR in the 1960's and 1970's says he never saw anything with the NE prefix but I have seen comments that a few vehicles did. I have searched the web and found nothing, but of course that doesn't mean there was not.

32 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

At least a couple of threads mentioning NE prefixes on here, one with a photo of a Mk1, top post of page 2:

Thanks for the links!

I had found some mention in other threads of DMU's but could not find any photos. As for the Mk1 that is certainly interesting and I have passed that on to my father (he was the LMR coach inspector so there is not much he missed when it came to coaches!)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jsp3970 said:

Thanks for the links!

I had found some mention in other threads of DMU's but could not find any photos. As for the Mk1 that is certainly interesting and I have passed that on to my father (he was the LMR coach inspector so there is not much he missed when it came to coaches!)

If you trawl Flickr you'll come across pictures of MK1's with NE prefix. Not that uncommon. I haven't got Longworth's tome on MK1 numbering but I'm sure there are plenty of specific examples in there. 

https://www.waymarking.com/gallery/image.aspx?f=1&guid=a8ef7792-6e12-4fa1-a684-0b5bdb9441f7&gid=3

Certainly NE24199 and NE24551 made it to the US where they remain in original untouched (although deteriorating externally) form. 

Regards

Guy

• RMweb Premium

The NE Region wasn't "short-lived".  It took over my dad's railway employment in 1948 and lasted 20 years until replaced by the merged Eastern & NE Regions in 1968.  At that point the regional HQ moved from London to York (following the construction of Hudson House to give extra office capacity in York), and I gained a lot of Cockney schoolfriends. 

Still a significant amount of NE-prefixed DMUs to be seen when I started spotting in 1974, but I didn't pay attention to carriages then as I didn't spot rolling stock.

Richard

• Like 1

There were many coaching stock vehicles which carried the @NE@ prefix through to the late 1960s.

The Railway Observer published details ( In a couple of 1965 ? issues )  of vehicles sighted carrying the 'NE' prefix.

There was also stock prefixed "GE"

I think the practice ceased shortly afterwards, with "E" replacing "NE" or "GE" as stock was repainted.

Brian R

Edited by br2975

• RMweb Gold

The TP units that I rode on while visting my big sister who lived in Selby at the time were definitely given NE prefix vehicle numbers, and IIRC from the Ian Allan Combined  Volumes the 110s were as well.  This was in 1966 and 1967, and at that time Selby and many other stations had the orange NE region signage.

Again IIRC, and I may well not RC, the GE prefix was limited to emus.  The Tyneside emus had NE prefixes.

3 hours ago, RichardT said:

The NE Region wasn't "short-lived".  It took over my dad's railway employment in 1948 and lasted 20 years until replaced by the merged Eastern & NE Regions in 1968.  At that point the regional HQ moved from London to York (following the construction of Hudson House to give extra office capacity in York), and I gained a lot of Cockney schoolfriends. 

Still a significant amount of NE-prefixed DMUs to be seen when I started spotting in 1974, but I didn't pay attention to carriages then as I didn't spot rolling stock.

Richard

Of course it was. Especially if you look at the length of time from a historical context.

Very short lived compared to the others. Less than half the length of time as they lasted from 1948 until 1992.

It lasted shorter than the time from the Millennium celebrations to now. That was virtually yesterday in chronological time. 

It's less than twenty years. I've got socks older than that.

Jason

• Funny 1

25 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

The TP units that I rode on while visting my big sister who lived in Selby at the time were definitely given NE prefix vehicle numbers, and IIRC from the Ian Allan Combined  Volumes the 110s were as well.  This was in 1966 and 1967, and at that time Selby and many other stations had the orange NE region signage.

Again IIRC, and I may well not RC, the GE prefix was limited to emus.  The Tyneside emus had NE prefixes.

Nope. I posted a link to an ex LNER Thompson coach with the GE prefix above.

D329 TK No GE13827E in Maroon so after 1956

https://www.steve-banks.org/prototype-and-traffic/390-lner-thompson-gangwayed-1

The GE prefix was very common as many of the carriages were shorter than usual as there were restrictions on some lines in East Anglia. They also moved some of the North Eastern Railway coaches down to replace older stock as they were also short.

They travelled far. I recently found a photograph of train of them at Llangollen on an excursion from the East Coast. All Gresley 52 footers.

However it was a section rather than a region.

Jason

• Like 1

B.R. Mk.1 stock carrying the "NE" prefix included examples of RUO, RSO, RKB, RMB, RB, FO, SO, BSO, FK, CK, BCK, SK, BSK., SLSTP, 

In addition the following  types of Mk.1 stock, at least, were still carrying "GE" prefixes in late 1965:- SO, FK, SK and BSK 

Most types of DMU allocated to the North Eastern Region were prefixed "NE" - maybe not all, but most.

11 hours ago, The Johnster said:

One of the things I checked before starting this topic, which seems to have grown while I was asleep, was the Tyneside EMU's and all the photos I saw showed them having both an E prefix and suffix. I would have thought that if anything would have had an NE prefix it would have been them since they were confined to a specific operational area.

But now I have a follow up question. Was there any pre-nationalization coaches that had a NE prefix and a lettered suffix such as the photo that 'Steamport Southport' posted of GE13827E?

I have also seen a photo in a book on Mk1's of a GE prefixed Mk1, I can't think of the name of the book right now!

13 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

From memory I think the Trix Trans-Pennine units are numbered with the NE prefix, presumably the prototype was too.

Yes and that fooled me as I remembered seeing a photo of a Trans-Pennine unit with a NE prefix but I was remembering a photo of a Trix model!

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jsp3970 said:

I have also seen a photo in a book on Mk1's of a GE prefixed Mk1, I can't think of the name of the book right now!

P.63 of the 1999 reprint of the Parkin Mk1 coaches book has a photo of BSK GE34353 in lined maroon as the last coach overhauled at Doncaster. No date given but mentions the body end steps have been removed.

6 hours ago, keefer said:

P.63 of the 1999 reprint of the Parkin Mk1 coaches book has a photo of BSK GE34353 in lined maroon as the last coach overhauled at Doncaster. No date given but mentions the body end steps have been removed.

Mk1 coaches were overhauled at Doncaster well after GE34353. 

MK1s and DMUs carried NE in both 3" and 4" lettering/numbering.

Al Taylor.