Anyone using Marklin relex couplings?

Hello,

I have a question. I started to shunt recently with all my new english rolling stock and I really really would like to get rid of those horrible standard tension lock couplings. They bug me on more than way.

- I cannot uncouple cars by lifting a car.

- They have far too much backlash (like 2 or 3mm)

- The uncoupling rods on the bottem side are spaced out to far so you need a really wide uncoupler

- They lack pre-uncoupling

- too big a distance between the wagons

However these became the standard in the UK is a mystery to me.

Anways on my dutch Marklin layout I like to use the Marklin Relex couplings because they have good coupling capabilities, I can uncouple manually by lifting one of the two cars and they have the pre-coupling functionality. Kadee couplings share the same features. I believe kadees also allow for shorter coupling between wagons than marklin relex couplings. The kadees can also work with hidden magnets but they also cost more. I am still in doubt which couplings I should buy for my Hornby/Dapol rolling stock. It is not that common to see the relex couplings on 2-rail systems.

I am aware that there are youtube videos available in which every known coupling is compared to the others. But I am only curious if people here are using the marklin relex coupling on their 2-rail systems and what their experiences are?

Kind regards,

Bas

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I've never come across any European-style couplers being used on UK-prototype layouts in the UK (other than the Roco close-coupler or the slightly-longer equivalent from Hornby, usually on fixed rakes). Those you most often come across are:

• Tension-lock
  • Kadee
  • Scale couplings, e.g. three-link, screw, Instanter
  • Various types that have to be made by the user, e.g. Sprat and Winkle

Only the first two of these are available to fit NEM sockets.

Why did the tension lock become the UK standard? Because Triang used it, and survived longer than their rivals. Hornby-Dublo and British Trix used versions of the Peco Simplex coupling. This is still available, but not in NEM form (a magnetically-operated version, the Magni-Simplex has been produced; a NEM version of this was announced but never made).

• RMweb Gold
On 23/03/2021 at 14:54, D9020 Nimbus said:
  •  

Only the first two of these are available to fit NEM sockets.

By and large yes, but I should mention James' Trains 3D printed NEM compatible couplings avaialable through Shapeways, no connection happy customer.  These are printed bar couplings in the form of 3-link, instanter, or screw types with NEM 'antlers' to fit into pockets on both sides of the coupling, ideal for permanently coupled rakes but of course you still need whatever your chosen type is on the outer ends of the end vehicles. 

I am not familiar with Marklin couplings but have seen the Roco type which are basically a tension lock in which the bar pivots and the hook is fixed.  I use tension locks despite the appearance because of their reliability and availability.  They auto couple and can be uncoupled anywhere on the layout with a shunting pole or spade; I use a home made illuminated shuntiing pole that hooks beneath the coupling hooks so that you can lift them clear of the bars and drive away.  Spades work by lifting the hooks from beneath, but there are several locations on my layout where this is hampered by platforms or lineside furniture, hence the use of hooks.  I would not ever tolerate uncoupling by lifting a vehicle, but to each his own.

They are ugly but not as bad as they were 30 or 40 years ago, and the alternatives, Kaydees and Sprat/Winkle types, are just as ugly and in the case of the Sprat/Winkles faffy to set up for reliable operation.  The Peco type allows a vehicle to be lifted out from a train but is not 100% reliable in my experience, especially if there are changes in level. 

My fiddle yard curves are too tight to permit scale couplings, one of the compromises forced on me by lack of space and something I have to live with; I paint the couplings in track colour and am able to mentally 'tune them out' most of the time.  The gap between vehicles is much less than it was 3 or 4 decades back as well; your comments seem apt for older Hornby and Lima couplings but even then, Airfix and Mainline were producing much neater types that were a step to the current NEM types which are not ideal in appearance, but as nothing but scale is, including Marklin, but I find to be an acceptable compromise.

Kaydee are no better appearance wise, but can be automatically uncoupled by magnet and stock can be propelled without recoupling if desired,