Henderson's Relish Wagon

Oliver Rails

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Just need a Cunningham's picalilli tanker with a caution hazardous materials label on to go with it. The only stuff that you will never get out of the kitchen top.

In my gas board days I worked in Cunninghams on Queens Road a few times, you should see what the preparation room does to iron pipework!

The ladies who sat in front of the big blue vinegar vats peeling the pickled onions told me they never had trouble finding a seat on their own on the bus home.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, Rails has taken payment and today I received confirmation of shipment.

Should be here next Tuesday!

image.png.f3d2620eaf231286c98761f6d210df41.png

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

It's arrived!

. . . and in very good packaging too.

20210504_130153.jpg.bdd787533ea11a5cd4e93ad8d9053c99.jpg

20210504_130342.jpg.49b550379ec8d95ae76a172e725f4dda.jpg

(I'm not sure what the "Authentic" on the box is referring to!)

20210504_130517.jpg.1904e9d1ef7a0013d0e90df3617cfc48.jpg

The Van is very free running - as I have just found out that my desk is not level - hence the 50p!

Tomorrow, it will be "poor mans pizza" for breakfast.

(Cheese on toast with finely chopped onions, tomatoes and anything else lying around (peppers, mushroom, chillies, etc) with, you guessed it, a splash of Hendo's on top.)

I'm quite pleased.

Kev.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I see they're doing a match wagon now - and no, it's not to go with the forthcoming Oxford Cowans Sheldon steam crane!

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/44475/Dapol-4f-glory-21-oo-gauge-england-s-glory-matches-moreland-gloucester-blue-wagon

Now Moreland actually had at least one rather fancily-painted 10 ton coal wagon, built by the Gloucester RC&W Co. in 1906, which was done many years ago by Mainline on their fictitious 10 ft wheelbase steel-framed wagon and more recently and credibly by Hornby on their 6-plank wagon:

image.png.4e8e318581cb42894cf328bf87af7047.png

But a match-box wagon...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ah, so at least if Bachmann or Oxford applied this livery to their RCH 12 ton wagon, they'd have a prototype!

I don't think the surfaces can have been very well-prepared when someone had fun doing that. Where and when? Did they do both sides?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Ah, so at least if Bachmann or Oxford applied this livery to their RCH 12 ton wagon, they'd have a prototype!

I don't think the surfaces can have been very well-prepared when someone had fun doing that. Where and when? Did they do both sides?

In 2008, there were three wagons in faded historic liveries, Shrewsbury Co-op, Lilleshall, and England's Glory, at the closed heritage centre at Waterside in Ayrshire.    I don't know who originally painted them in these liveries, but I recall when I posted photos on Flickr someone wanted to know how they had ended up in Scotland, so I assume they were originally painted at a heritage railway  somewhere in England which later sold them on.  I do not know what subsequently became of these wagons, whether they were scrapped or whether restoration was eventually taken on by the adjacent Ayrshire Railway Preservation Group.

2708240708_e3570edf5b_o.jpg

2707428771_88fd81a380_o.jpg

Edited by cessna152towser
added photos
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, cessna152towser said:

In 2008, there were three wagons in faded historic liveries, Shrewsbury Co-op, Lilleshall, and England's Glory, at the closed heritage centre at Waterside in Ayrshire.    I don't know who originally painted them in these liveries, but I recall when I posted photos on Flickr someone wanted to know how they had ended up in Scotland, so I assume they were originally painted at a heritage railway  somewhere in England which later sold them on.  I do not know what subsequently became of these wagons, whether they were scrapped or whether restoration was eventually taken on by the adjacent Ayrshire Railway Preservation Group.

Ha! I found those photos on Flickr and the comment you mention - I read it as the person in question being under the illusion that they were genuine PO wagon livery survivals! I don't find them listed on the ARPG's website - they would require considerable effort (to say nothing of a lot of new timber) to make them presentable in any guise; effort which clearly that group is better directing in other directions.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, seeing that this tank wagon comes with its' own little bottle of "weathering" solution, I will be ordering one pronto.

Thanks for the heads up.

Kev.

On 18/05/2021 at 00:25, Steamport Southport said:

England's Glory.

Made in Sweden....  

spacer.png

:prankster:

The Swedish word for matches is tändstickor, tänd meaning to set on fire.

I remember the brand illustrated was used in Wales as a synonym for matches, and they seemed rather more common there than the Swan Vestas that English smokers were buying.  Welsh nationalists used to go into tobacconists' shops and ask for "A box of England's Glory" in a very sarcastic tone of voice!  It was a rather poor marketing decision to use England in the brand name of a product you hoped to sell throughout the UK - even if they did plaster the box with Union Jacks.  

In England matches were sometimes called Lucifers, as they were thought by some to be the invention of the Devil.  But Lucifer (appropriately meaning light-bringer) was a Roman name for the planet Venus which heralds the dawn, also known in Greek as Phosphoros, which just happens to be what the red bit at the end of the match was made of.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

It looks like this has been a good marketing exercise for Henderson's Relish.    I'd finished the little bottle which came with the Henderson's Relish box van and part way through the one which came with the 6-wheel tanker.   I had never seen or heard of Henderson's Relish before but spotted it on sale this morning in my local Morrison's here in Scotland.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...