Rigby Cole Mills, exGER, Layout for the Grandchildren

Gravy Train

Hi,

I thought that this little layout is probably more suited here on this thread, it’s more of a cameo/Diorama style layout, it being only 5ft long by 18”.

its sort of still in development and although I model EM LYR, this was built with and for the Grandchildren ‘ to get them off the I pad ‘.

It  is also  an excuse to get the Iain Rice thing out of my system, I have grown to like the GER, ever since the writings of a Barlow & Rice back in the day ‘East Suffolk Light’ and all else that followed thereafter.

I would love to here your comments and ideas as to how I might develop this area.

the scene is very loosely 1970 ishhh.

I’m also using Kdees permanent magnets, AMR handheld controller through a home made power box contains a Gaugemaster transformer.

for interest, I have uploaded photos from its beginnings, to we’re are now.

Pete

the 2 photos below show the first stages of the build process, with the decision made on a workable track plan.

we are looking into moving point operating to the rear, ideally  it would be a good idea to be able to operate both front and rear for exhibition purposes.

this would mean a scenic piece at the front to hide the operating point switches.

2641B3ED-D28E-45FE-9928-A1F975AD012B.jpeg

D6CEDFF4-EF69-47F3-98A9-A352A9EC019F.jpeg

Edited by Gravy Train
  • Like 3

(Who did what in the build so far)

My mate Harry Crossley designed the track plan after looking at many variations, this one was the one that gave us a more practical, for operating movements.

I laid all the track, Peco fine, 10 yr old ‘Megan’ did all the ballasting, except near the point switches.

Lillie may 8 yr, did the cobbled yard, helped with ground scenery, static grass etc.

‘Max’ 6 yr, did the majority of the ground cover, static grass as did ‘Jackson’ 5 yr, static grass.

Megan constructed the Tree, using the tried method of wire, woodland scenic, following the guide of Barry Normans Scenic Modelling book.

I constructed all the buildings, in quick manner using plasticard and embossed sheets from Wills, Slaters, Southeastern Finecast, windows are a mix of a wills and scratch built with microstrip.

figures are Bachman.

I have for this layout made use of the Kadees with permanent magnets strategically placed but had to resort to having checks n the stock axels to prevent them running on over the magnets, it’s work very well.

On my EM layouts I use Sprat Winkle hook and bar with great success but thought to experiment with the Kadees for this venture.

Power source is a hand built power box built by Harry Crossley, Electronic engineers by profession.

it comprises a T1 Gaugemaster transformer and couple of other gadgets housed therin.

we also make use of the trusty AMR handheld feedback controller.

lighting was done on the cheap at £8 reeled daylight plug in and go ribbon, doubled up and gives a great natural light.

stock is all the latest out the box excellence from Hornby, Bachmann and a scratchbuilt deasil shunter from plastic sheet and Black Beetle power.

Edited by Gravy Train
  • Like 1