Projects, Projects & more Projects. It never ends!

3 hours ago, EWS60065 said:

Where do you get these from? They may be useful for wagons. 

Cheers

Hello EWS60065.

Transfers are from Realtech.

Railtec Transfers - waterslide model railway transfers (decals) for 4mm/OO gauge, 2mm/N gauge, 7mm/O gauge and all other gauges and hobbies (railtec-models.com)

Cheers Trailrage

15 hours ago, EWS60065 said:

Where do you get these from? They may be useful for wagons. 

Cheers

The class 68 brake discs are in this pack here:

4mm-2029

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=2672

If it helps, on a similar topic there are also 3d rivets available too which may achieve the effect you're looking for:

https://www.railtec-models.com/catalog.php?search_str=rivets

11 hours ago, TRAILRAGE said:

Hello EWS60065.

Transfers are from Realtech.

Railtec Transfers - waterslide model railway transfers (decals) for 4mm/OO gauge, 2mm/N gauge, 7mm/O gauge and all other gauges and hobbies (railtec-models.com)

Cheers Trailrage

Thank you. They may be a little large for 12mm wagon wheels then but could maybe suit the Coalfish. Would certainly save a bit of money and effort compared to doing a batch using etched metal ones. 

6 minutes ago, railtec-models said:

The class 68 brake discs are in this pack here:

4mm-2029

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=2672

If it helps, on a similar topic there are also 3d rivets available too which may achieve the effect you're looking for:

https://www.railtec-models.com/catalog.php?search_str=rivets

Thanks railtec, good idea about the rivets but not sure how to curve them into a circle? 

Do you know the diameter of the 68 brake disc transfers by any chance? 

Thanks 

• 2 months later...
On 16/10/2022 at 20:57, TRAILRAGE said:

WOW Mahooosive thank you to Steve at Railtech for producing this pack. As soon as Payday hits, I'm on it.

Cheers Trailrage

How are you getting on with yours mate? I have just managed to finish mine :) 

6 hours ago, WCML100 said:

Now… to something I have been eager to complete and share with you all for some time!

Towards the back end of the summer months I managed to pick up 4 relatively cheap second hand JGA wagons. These will end up going into my Hayes Tarmac aggregate rake which will eventually be made up of HOA’s of which I have several on order from Revolution due in a few months time (very excited for these). I am hoping they do some IIA’s as I require few of these for good measure to make up this mixed rake also. (Total will be x2 IIA, x4 JGA, x12 HOA for clarity)

One particular JGA that stuck out to me was 19232 which during our period was one of the few orange RMC JGA’s to get a repaint into DBS red. So out of the 4 JGA’s in RMC, i chose the one in poorest condition (broken / missing buffers, older livery which was replaced by our period) for the repaint into DB red 19232. Here is rendition of this particular wagon…

5D795714-8306-4184-A747-3987FDC36EF4.jpeg.389c8c8281b2e2907727148e584ecfe6.jpeg

Backstory over, first was to take everything back to the base. I am by no means an expert and still use rattle cans currently so please take everything with a pinch of salt* - as you will find out this was definitely not a plain sailing project…

95AC58BA-736B-40BD-8918-1C922BABD855.jpeg.cd45d1488e460f481961148bb66500aa.jpeg

DD028AAF-1100-4BBB-AC86-2B58A4157519.jpeg.06baa65ad10bdfea305f3e021bb9b779.jpeg

Once dissembled and taken back to plastic - it was primed using the halfords offering and then i begun to add the coats of red. I previously used Hyundai Electric Red for my DB RBA translator vehicles pair, so stuck with that for this project too. However rattle cans have their limits and on the second coat, it cane out very thick and left an awful finish so took it right back down and used a new can.

4AD63C25-F112-4BA1-8AB4-645C04300261.jpeg.9bde775857c63d95437284736ba60f87.jpeg

Once I was happy, I went about addressing the buffers. I removed all buffers from the under-frame (what was left of them at least) and filled down to flush. I then also had mask up to paint the buffer beams matching red.

2C51D006-9BB8-47D8-A3EB-41981EFDE008.jpeg.55c9e4ccbbd046fefc0ecf7beaa91d5b.jpeg

Once all the painting was done on the outside I gave the inside a light grey just to finish it off, even though eventually this wagon will probably end up being modelled loaded. 

F8AA2C7E-379C-4576-83E0-F16A6AFED7CE.jpeg.cf4d5a291a0b6d871d09f40e6eae9b90.jpeg

Next was transfers; I gave the model a coat of gloss varnish before Steve at @railtec-models perfectly timed a release of transfers in the autumn for my chosen prototype. It was only then I realised what I had got myself into with the sheer amount of small, complex details this somewhat on first glance this plain and simple livery has. Although time consuming to get right, this was not the challenging part so it turned out. Before that though came adding the buffers. The intention was to buy some new ones online, but I then realised that with my Bachmann DB red HKA’s they supplied buffers with each wagon and only ‘outer’ HKA’s are fitted with these, so had a load spare, and yep you guessed it used these as they were almost identical - so added these at this stage.

4ED18D25-891C-4708-8FAD-C883660A8175.jpeg.db84edd510b6c2a36300bea03b605881.jpeg

The mistake came once the transfers were complete - in the form of a Humbrol Satin Varnish, which came out all milky and gave a horrible finish effectively ruining the model…

This not only affected this model but another I had been working on which was unfortunately un-saveable from this issue. Luckily it wasn’t too bad on the JGA, and I managed to take some of it back without ruining the transfers or the paint work, some can still be seen however. This isn’t the end of the world as eventually this will receive a light aggregate dusting of weathering, thankfully, this type of weathering is the same kind of shade that this varnish left behind. This meaning once its weathered up it shouldn't be noticeable at all. 

So, snatched from the jaws of defeat - here it is. I am very happy with it being still being one of the first repaints I have done, the RailTech transfers bring it alive and mixed in with the other orange JGA’s against which it was regularly seen, it should look decent. The final rake should be drabs of EWS construction / Cemex Grey & Blue HOA’s and run down orange JGA’s with the odd drop of red in the form of this red JGA 19232 and a couple of red HOA’s (not forgetting x2 IIA’s in debranded Cemex too!) 

Let me know what you think but I cannot wait to see these running through Greenford. I hope the in depth detail and accompanying pictures help delve into the process to create JGA19232! Thanks

10063007-AE32-4DA7-AD80-D4AE69FAA0A2.jpeg.cec0019ed38e3741c6d078cc6c2bfd08.jpeg

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 13/01/2023 at 22:56, WCML100 said:

How are you getting on with yours mate? I have just managed to finish mine :) 

Pretty much not done anything modelling wise for way to long. Lack of time, lack of somewhere to do it, lack of funds and a knackered/leaking Garage roof where me models  are stuffed that up! It will all get sorted just gonna take time. Yours looks awesome mate. Maybe ill try and get some transfers at the end of the month. 

Cheers Trailrage

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, TRAILRAGE said:

Pretty much not done anything modelling wise for way to long. Lack of time, lack of somewhere to do it, lack of funds and a knackered/leaking Garage roof where me models  are stuffed that up! It will all get sorted just gonna take time. Yours looks awesome mate. Maybe ill try and get some transfers at the end of the month. 

Cheers Trailrage

Sorry to hear that mate, hopefully you will be back up and running soon (garage and modelling wise!) 

Highly recommend the RailTech packs for the JGA, great quality and cover all the tiny little bits that I didn’t even know were there until i got the transfer pack! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

In a real dilema with what to do now.  The Garage where I keep my Railway the Roof has leaked so there are several swollen parts on the internal roof. Looks lik damp has got in at the bottom to. I guess theres nothing worse than a damp bottom! 

Looks like It could be several thousand for a new roof or over £10000 for a new Garage. so either way layout and stock might have to evacuate.  Scince neither of these will happen due to lack of funds, i was think a Bituman paint over the top of the Cement bonded corrgated Asbestos sheets might help seal. Mayebe rendering the outdide walls all though it might be for nothing.  On top of that im trying to keep my sanity by modelling!  

Anyway rant over. Some images coming up soon of a couple of projects on the go. 

Happy Modelling all.

Trailrage

• Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, TRAILRAGE said:

In a real dilema with what to do now.  The Garage where I keep my Railway the Roof has leaked so there are several swollen parts on the internal roof. Looks lik damp has got in at the bottom to. I guess theres nothing worse than a damp bottom! 

Looks like It could be several thousand for a new roof or over £10000 for a new Garage. so either way layout and stock might have to evacuate.  Scince neither of these will happen due to lack of funds, i was think a Bituman paint over the top of the Cement bonded corrgated Asbestos sheets might help seal. Mayebe rendering the outdide walls all though it might be for nothing.  On top of that im trying to keep my sanity by modelling!  

Anyway rant over. Some images coming up soon of a couple of projects on the go. 

Happy Modelling all.

Trailrage

I hope things improve soon for you mate! Look forward to seeing your progress on the workbench projects too :)

• Friendly/supportive 1

A very good Friend gave my little boy a Lima 73108 for Christmas so he asked me to make it into 73201 for Him. Still need to finish the Roof grilles and Fibre Glass panels, numbers, OHL Warning Flashes and a corrected position Double Arrow and eventually a Hornby power plant but not looking to bad for a quick project. Bought Some Broadlands Nameplates a while ago for my old Lima 73142 but was missing two of the Crests so will need new ones.

Currently sitting on a Non Powered Chassis that I've been toying with. More on that later.

Cheers Trailrage

20230121_220602.jpg

20230121_220610.jpg

20230121_220642.jpg

20230121_220713.jpg

20230121_220725.jpg

Edited by TRAILRAGE
  • Like 5

Well looks the Garage is a gonna and will have to be put down! Ho hum!

Well that's the gloom outta the way. 

On a Slightly Happier note I have decided to have a go at making a centrecoach for my Kernow/Bachmann 205. 

Using a Replica Suburban coach trimmed off the Buffer Bodies, fitted Replica Rubbing Plates and cosmetic undersized Buckeyes (from a Bachmann 4-CEP) and given it a first Coat of Railmatch BR Rail Blue. I have a pair of CEP Bogies (Courtesy of EKM Exhibitions on EBay) will will be fitted When I have Modified the Chassis to take the Vertical Pickups. Replica Glazing ill be fitted and I haven't decided what to do for the MW Equipment on the ends yet. The Biggest problem will be providing through pickups. I had thought of using Symoba CCU's but not sure if there robust enough. If they are the though of using some self adhesive copper tape cut into strips just wide enough for the contacts to touch with  wires soldered onto them connected at each end to provide the Through pick ups. this is necessary for the lighting to work in the Trailer Coach. I might purchase a Bachmann lighting board and use the pickups from the Bogies to power them from the track but as I literally know nothing about Electronics, I will have to try and learn Old Dogs new tricks and all that!

Annoyingly I didn't notice the damage to the end of the roof until I put the picture up!!!!!

Screenshot_20230123_221141_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230123_221157_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230123_221210_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230123_221252_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230123_221225_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230123_221306_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230123_221330_Gallery.jpg

Edited by TRAILRAGE
  • Like 3

The 73 Chassis i mentioned earlier is a spare Lima one. This has been fitted to a spare pair of Non Powered Hornby 4-VEP MK6 Motor Bogies. They will need some mods like pipe runs (.33mm Brass wire should do the trick), Steps (I have some etched Brass one to use), Sandboxes (not to sure what I'm gonna use for these) & 3rd Rail Pick Shoes (will most likely have to scratch build them). To fit the Bogies start with the Trailing Bogie end as its the easiest  Open the hole a little with a Drill bit or Reamer to allow the Bogie to clip in. For the original powered end start by cutting off the redundant Lima Bogie mounts at each end of the opening as they will get in the way  for a floor I used  a section of plastic (cut from a spare Parkside Wagon Kit Floor) to the width of the frames. To get the Ride height right I glued some 2mm Square rod in first and mounted the floor to it using MEK. Its Nasty Nasty stuff so please use it in a well vented area. I had already used the original 13mm wheels from these  Bogies on a Hornby 73 (which being the correct size brings the Loco to a more acceptable height). Luckily I had some spare Heljan CL17 Wheels also 13mm so fitted them. There a little looser in the Axle slots than the originals which caused the flanges to rub. To stop this I shaved off the two ribs on the underside of the nonpowered end. If you happy with it the Underframe details can be left well alone. For those who want to go further the details are separately fitted leaving a blank box to cut off. The Body is Standard Lima. I didn't want to loose the Paint job as to my eyes the colour is spot on. I repainting the Yellow Warming Panel with Railmatch pre 84 WP Yellow and the Pipework will be spare Dapol. Horns are some turned Brass I had spare.

20230125_183717.jpg

20230125_184102.jpg

20230125_183756.jpg

20230125_183622.jpg

20230125_183630.jpg

20230125_183635.jpg

20230125_183645.jpg

Edited by TRAILRAGE
  • Like 2

This is What I'm aiming for although it will be paired with my BR Blue Hornby 4-VEP.

From the Excellent R W Carroll collection on Flickr.

E6012_SotonC_Testtrain_8-3-67

Edited by TRAILRAGE
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Dug this out to see what can be done. Original Bachmann BR Blue 2-EPB with the incorrect numbers. Resprayed with a Railmatch BR Southern Stock Green Rattle can, ends were masked off. Original Glazing has since been refitted except for the Headcode Displays as I seem to have lost them. Not too sure what to do here as although I have some Spare Replica MLV Glazing, it aint half thick for the cab windows! Cab Interiors are Replica as will be the Interior seating  which has to be cut and modified from both compartment and open mouldings. I initially kept the interior lighting circuit for each coach and the top of the Cab interior and seating partitions need to be modified so they fit correctly but have removed them for now. Bufferbeams are Etched Brass and came from the MJT 302/9 EMU Cab Etch cut off and glued to the Bachmann Body. MJT BR retracted Coach buffers fitted. The Brass is pretty and has resisted my attempts to drill it so I can fit a spare set of DC Kits SR Rubbing Plates. In retrospect I should have done this first. The Chassis are Replica 63ft MK1 which fit as if made for the Job. Although the footstep is slightly higher, I'm not sure I can be bothered with removing and replacing.  Trailing Bogies are currently Replica BR1 but this will change now I have some spare Bachmann Bogies. Motor Bogie is a Branch lines white metal casting for a  2-BIL which although it isn't a BR MK4, looked close enough.  It WAS glued to a Replica BR1 Bogie stretcher so it would clip in until I dropped it and it exploded! Might try and fix it otherwise an Expensive Bachmann one with matching Trailer Bogie will have to be purchased. In terms of underframe detailing I may have to use the Replica MLV bits and modify them to suit as the Southern Pride and DC Kits parts are no longer available. 3RD Rail Shoe Beams are the other bits missing but again if I go for the Bachmann Bogies that will be taken care of  

20221126_210016.jpg

20221126_210021.jpg

20221126_210029.jpg

20221126_210056.jpg

Edited by TRAILRAGE
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Couple more shots of the 2-EPB with the Glazing refitted. Inckuing the Replica Middle Window. And modified Cab interior. Drop in height of the partition and slight narrowing of the sides to fit the Bachmann Body. Theres also a shot of the inside showing that I will need to add a 1mm deep box around either the glazing or the window opening to get it to fit flush.  Side shot shows how much closer to the body the Footboards are.

Screenshot_20230205_203632_Gallery.jpg.7591729a91c500bae19dd340517ee930.jpg

Screenshot_20230205_203606_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230205_203648_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230205_203701_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230205_203718_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230205_203734_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230205_203537_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230205_203747_Gallery.jpg

Edited by TRAILRAGE

Next up Replica MLV. This is mounted on a Replica 63ft Chassis with the trusses cut off and replaced with a No Nonsense Kit one. Still need to add the end angles though. Chassis details  are Replica. Fuse boxes and Pickup Beams are MJT. Buffer heads are off a broken old Jouef MK3  filed flat  and Rubbing plate is Replica. It was Sprayed with a Railmatch BR Rail Blue Rattle can. Patches on the Roof were done by tearing up bits of masking tape and peeling them off when the paint was dry. I was trying to simulate the peeling paint patches you sometimes see on Coach Roofs.  Trailing Bogie is a Replica BR1 but the Motor Bogie is a real cheat using a very old Triang DMU Bogie with Brass Bearings fitted. A little tip given to me by Nigel Spate (Croxley Wiggenhal fame) .

Screenshot_20230205_203837_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230205_204006_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230205_203918_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230205_203937_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230205_203954_Gallery.jpg

Edited by TRAILRAGE
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

With all my stock packed up and the Layout partially dismantled ready for the Garage to have new Roof fitted,  attention has turned to my Little Boys layout and how to best extend it. SHWBO has given permission for it to use pretty much the whole of the spare Bedroom as our original plans for that have gone out the Window so to speak.  A couple of years ago a very good Friend gave us a layout for him. It probably wont be to big I though but it turned to be 8x4ft with a hole in the middle. We  have stripped it back it bear plywood so it can be surface first. My father who is helping out  found some Laminate flooring undelay in WIckes which is 5mm thick and perfect  for our needs.

Arbiton Fan-folded Sprint Laminate & Wood Underlay 10.12m2 | Wickes.co.uk

As its inside, both me and my little By have Asthma and we now have a cat, Self adhesive Tape will be the most likely option for attachment to the Boards. I'll let you know how his turns out!

For now here's few pic of the progress so far. 

Cheers Trailrage

20230601_224051.jpg

20230429_111520.jpg

20230429_111525.jpg

Edited by TRAILRAGE
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Whilst I've been at home with a nasty virus, I've managed to do a bit of weathering on an old Lima 60 using Humbrol Dark Brown Wash and Matt 62 paint. Highlighted areas of the Bogie Axles and suspension with Blue/black was and Railmatch Oily Steel. Not perfect and still need some more doing to it such as Roof and fading / patching of the yellow ends as well as details such as Wipers, Horns, Bogie steps, front Handrail replaced , Lamp Iron. And in the absence of a Shaw plan detail Kit I have weathered the grilles again with the Dark Brown Wash and highlighted areas with a Humbrol Blue/ Black wash. It will never be to James Makin's standard but I'm Pretty pleased so far still contemplating making my own Second man side windows as they should be two piece not 3. 

20231217_195949.jpg

20231217_195850.jpg

20231217_195842.jpg

20231217_210806.jpg

Edited by TRAILRAGE
Added pic
  • Like 5

• 2 months later...
On 02/03/2024 at 22:33, James Makin said:

Coming to this late but loving the streaming on the 60, looking mighty fine! 😎

Thank You. coming from someone of your Calibre of work that means a lot!

There is still much to do like fading the yellow ends and roof weathering, but I just don't seem to get much time to do any Modelling lately 

thanks again.

Trailrage

• Friendly/supportive 1