TRS Trains real steam generator 

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

TRS Trains real steam generator, a different option to the system used on Bournemouth West? 

Hornby Mag video. 

Scale: 'OO' and 'O' gauge Price: from £100 (excluding decoder) Email: trstrains@yahoo.com

edit after confirmation that it’s a different system to the Bournemouth West group one. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hmm.  Not impressed tbh.  There are some good points, but the apparent inability to operate on DC would scupper it for my purposes.  The steam effect is still far too thin and wispy, and there is no attempt to show it issuing under pressure from the safety valves, or leaking from the various places it leaks from in real life.  I like the muck spread realistically on the loco roof, but tha apart it's all a bit gimmicky.  It looks nothing like the steam water vapour that is emitted in large quantities from real steam locomotives.  Like the oil based 'steam generators', it is probably ok as diesel fumes, and those can be used with DC..

Realistic affordable steam fx for small locos, I'm talking W4 in 00, that are acceptable in an indoor home environment and do not cause unpleasant odours or need cleaning up after use are the Holy Grail, and will need that amount of quest to achieve.  I applaud the effort, though.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

Not asking much then?

I thought it was impressive, but as much for the sound, which seemed better than I’ve heard on a steam loco before, with more realistic ‘drift’ with the regular almost closed, as for the exhaust.

It did look as if the driver had the blower on all the time it was stationary.

As you say, it would look pretty good on a diesel, and I’d rather have a slightly moist layout than one covered with a thin film of oil (which is what happened the one time I tried the ‘smoke’ on a loco).

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 25/03/2021 at 21:22, Nearholmer said:

It did look as if the driver had the blower on all the time it was stationary.

As you say, it would look pretty good on a diesel, and I’d rather have a slightly moist layout than one covered with a thin film of oil (which is what happened the one time I tried the ‘smoke’ on a loco).

A Deltic comes to mind.

if you can make it blue.. then a Western.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/03/2021 at 17:36, PaulRhB said:

It’s certainly better than oil ones but a bit fierce at a stand. I assume it’s a fan and I think I’d reduce the power to that a fair bit. Another step forward though. 

I don't believe it does use a fan. It uses an ultrasonic "exciter" disc to atomise water into fine droplets. Been conducting a few experiments of my own with this technology. 

Bruce 

• RMweb Premium

I would just like to make it absolutely clear that this is NOT the system used on Bournemouth West exhibition layout. Paul Doust is the inventor of the system we use and has successfully applied to patent it. 
It is my opinion that the system used on Bournemouth West and New Kensal Green is, in fact, far superior and has been refined and tested, under exhibition conditions over a number of years.

Roger Sunderland 

Bournemouth West operating team

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Roger Sunderland said:

I would just like to make it absolutely clear that this is NOT the system used on Bournemouth West exhibition layout. Paul Doust is the inventor of the system we use and has successfully applied to patent it. 
It is my opinion that the system used on Bournemouth West and New Kensal Green is, in fact, far superior and has been refined and tested, under exhibition conditions over a number of years.

Roger Sunderland 

Thanks Roger, is there any likelihood of it becoming available like this? 

• RMweb Premium

Like all things model, gravity and mass don't scale. So there is no realistic likelihood there could ever be 'like the real thing' steam, as much as there is little chance of there being 'like the real thing' water, or sound. We can only approximate such things (sometimes with better results for a given thing than others). As our models are by definition scaled approximations, then so must any additional effects we apply to them. Taking that into consideration, I think this system (like the one for Bmth West) is pretty good. Would I bother with it? If I had very deep lottery-win-funded pockets, maybe, but barring such a win, this, like fitting sound decoders to everything, will likely remain a distant dream.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Are you thinking for your Manning & Wardles fitted with EDM sound?:D:D

I know you’ve fitted sound to yours so I’ll wait for the suggestions ;)  Unless they are some sort of Tardis I doubt it!

:lol:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Thanks Roger, is there any likelihood of it becoming available like this? 

Hi Paul. I think there is every possibility that the system will become available but it may not follow the TRS format of adapting people’s existing models. 
Paul is aware of this thread now so it’s up to him if he wishes to comment further, we are only a showcase for his invention.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

Ultrasonic discs to excite water have been available on model boats for years. Maplins used to sell them for less than a tenner. The clever part here is getting a vibrating disc large enough to fit into a small space and to mask the noise of the vibration. The downside of this system is once blown clear of the chimney, the vapour being cold tends not to rise but to gravitate.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 06/04/2021 at 16:02, Roger Sunderland said:

Roger Sunderland 

Roger, I got to this thread through a convoluted route of links from another thread here, but it was also about water vapour or similar smoke generators, specifically chatting about Hornby and the mention of patents was quotes, curiously I googled with a click or two and found this

https://patents.google.com/patent/DE202005005647U1/en

Not sure of the relevance or even if it applies, but posting it for information 👍

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi David/Johan, thank you both for taking the time to comment. As always it is very interesting to see how different approaches are used to simulate steam with water vapour or by any other means. As you can see from my patent I use a focussed transducer to create the water vapour rather than a fan assisted device. This technique gives an instantaneous response to the chuff emitted by the sound decoder which makes for a reasonably realistic approximation to the prototype. As you would expect I am always trying to improve things and the latest developments and its associated performances are a far cry from the earlier work and I now feel that they are far more realistic with a big improvement in water vapour density and much lower output velocity from the chimney. I do not appear to be able to upload some of the latest videos of Bulleid Pacifics in action on my layout which are in mp4 files but I will see if there is an alternative method. Once again many thanks for your interest. Paul

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, luke33 said:

I do not appear to be able to upload some of the latest videos of Bulleid Pacifics in action on my layout which are in mp4 files but I will see if there is an alternative method.

Videos need to be posted elsewhere, like YouTube, and the URL can be added into a post here.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 8 months later...