Scrap yard advice.

• RMweb Gold

I need some advice on a scrap yard I am building. I have spread some filler on the base area and added some gravel for a gravely rough look.

I'm stuck on what colour I should use as a base colour on the ground area.

Don't forget that scrap exists in different grades, and scrap-buyers pay vastly different prices for them. Thus, the scrappies will tend to have piles of material of similar type gathered together, separated by sleeper, or concrete, walls. Typically, you'd have cast iron, heavy steel, baled scrap (mostly old cars and domestic appliances), loose light steel (metal turnings etc) and various types of non-ferrous. Loose light steel is often carried in sheeted trailers.

Most scrappies will have some old containers or van bodies to hold items like batteries.                                                                                                                                                                                           

• Like 2

I've got a scrap yard on my N Gauge layout, there is not much gravel to be seen at that scale - but I did happen across a satisfying shade of "oily concrete" quite by accident:

I hope that might be of some help! (Do you have any pics of what you have all far?) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wrenn said:

That's a great looking breakers yard.

I just took a couple of quick snaps:

IMG_20210326_170549332.jpg.173dacd1f8f83f2886ca72e823fd1d6c.jpg

IMG_20210326_170459763.jpg.e3e0cfd4de8eb688688795932c5d7dce.jpg

IMG_20210326_170418321.jpg.ed03e933f8da8a409e92320ece10567d.jpg

IMG_20210326_170330106.jpg.988aee8cad9a04d7ecddfd2598d61467.jpg

Some are a bit dark, so I took a couple with my work light on!

I used iron filings along the bottom of the fence and in other places where metallic debris might collect - this was NOT glued down in the same way as regular ballast, except I mixed the filings with water and PVA in a small pot and applied the resulting paste with a paint brush (you don't want loose iron filings on your layout!)  Incidentally, I used salt water to ensure the filings rusted!

Much depends on the time period modelled and size of the yard. The older and larger is more haphazard. Some vehicle dismantles might keep lottie's or buses for years in the hope of selling useable parts. Those of us of a certain age remember how profusely nettles could grow around the car you needed to break. Today, it is more like collecting materials from a reputable builder's merchant.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

My scrap yard is part of a diorama/cameo. With the modelling area being 140mm x 100mm. 

I know it's small but it's still going to have a small scrap yard. I have uploaded a picture of the fence and the ground cover of the scrap yard.

rsz_120210326_173228.jpg.186589c6b518b124a5f5d77c055b97c4.jpg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Wrenn said:

My scrap yard is part of a diorama/cameo. With the modelling area being 140mm x 100mm. 

I know it's small but it's still going to have a small scrap yard. I have uploaded a picture of the fence and the ground cover of the scrap yard.

rsz_120210326_173228.jpg.186589c6b518b124a5f5d77c055b97c4.jpg

Nice.  Do you have any height restrictions?  Also, will the scrap feature on both sides of the line? 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your kind words. There is no restriction in my diorama build, also I will have a skip and some items of scrap on the opposite side.

My loco will be a Ruston 48DS ideal for little scrap yards.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wrenn said:

Thanks for your kind words. There is no restriction in my diorama build, also I will have a skip and some items of scrap on the opposite side.

It sounds a lovely project, with a great little loco to run it!  

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, doilum said:

Those of us of a certain age remember how profusely nettles could grow around the car you needed to break.

And no H&S either ! I remember unscrewing a wing mirror from a Datsun Cherry which was standing on top of two other cars with my mate throwing screwdrivers and sockets up to me as required. The only advice we got from the scrappy was "Don't fall off". 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, Wrenn said:

Just a general question. When did the modern skip first appear?

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, doilum said:

Just a general question. When did the modern skip first appear?

Mid 60s I reckon ... certainly in common usage by early 70s as it was my time filler to repaint them at my Uncles haulage business in Worcester when all else was quiet!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wheatley said:

And no H&S either ! I remember unscrewing a wing mirror from a Datsun Cherry which was standing on top of two other cars with my mate throwing screwdrivers and sockets up to me as required. The only advice we got from the scrappy was "Don't fall off". 

Similar here, climbing up a stack of 3 or 4 cars for bits from the one you needed, which was always the one at the top, unless you wanted something from the engine bay, in which case it was second one up; too high to stand in front of, and not enough height to raise the bonnet because of the car on top.... :banghead:

The unwritten rule at the yard I used to go to was "don't tread in what the guard dog had left behind."

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Crossley scrap has been mentioned and I would echo it is an excellent model.

Although 0 gauge, my layout used real swarf that was sieved as part of the ground cover, I paint the plaster brown and black underneath, page 11 shows how I did it.