Relly Mill Junction

RBAGE

My current railway is nowhere near completion and already I'm planning its replacement. Will I ever complete one? Who knows? I'm not sure that's the intention. Research, planning and trying to get a quart into a pint pot seems to be my preferred pastime.

Anyway, I have an eye on Relly Mill Junction, in County Durham, as an interesting location to model. Mid 60s would be the best period for me. East Coast Main Line with lines to Bishop Auckland, Waterhouses and Consett. I could even run iron ore trains on the occasions when the main route through Beamish was closed.

There is some information / photographs on the internet but you never have enough, do you? So, I've gathered together what I can. I even have photographs of the afore mentioned ore trains behind Tyne Dock 9Fs at Relly Mill, but they are on a long dead computer.

Can anyone help with detail, particularly photographs of the railways at the junction, to include Relly Mill Junction, Bridge House Junction, Deerness Valley Junction and Baxter's Wood Junction?

Any information will be gratefully received and put to good use. And who knows, this might be the one I finish. 

Thanks,

Bob

• Friendly/supportive 1

I also live near. I have some photographs of the old bridge on Broom Lane before it was replaced, which might help a bit. I will try to find them. These are of the time when only the ECML ran underneath it.

Even better though is an article in British Railways Illustrated for March 1996 (Vol.5 No.6) by 'MB'. Pictures are from 1955 to 1963. If you are unable to locate a copy let me know. Several of the pictures are listed as from the Neville Stead collection. I'm not sure where this is now, and whether it is accessible.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, drmditch said:

I also live near. I have some photographs of the old bridge on Broom Lane before it was replaced, which might help a bit. I will try to find them. These are of the time when only the ECML ran underneath it.

Even better though is an article in British Railways Illustrated for March 1996 (Vol.5 No.6) by 'MB'. Pictures are from 1955 to 1963. If you are unable to locate a copy let me know. Several of the pictures are listed as from the Neville Stead collection. I'm not sure where this is now, and whether it is accessible.

Thanks for the heads up on British Railways Illustrated. 

I've managed to find a copy and should have it soon.

I remember the old bridge and have some photographs. It's a pity they demolished the bridge. Fair enough, it may not have been able to cope with todays traffic but it probably cost more to have it demolished than to maintain it for pedestrian use.

The problem with the old bridge was that it was dangerous to walk (or even 'cycle) across it!

It was ageing quite badly as well, having been built circa 1872 (I think!)

At least they left part of the abutment on the west side as a viewing platform!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, drmditch said:

The problem with the old bridge was that it was dangerous to walk (or even 'cycle) across it!

It was ageing quite badly as well, having been built circa 1872 (I think!)

At least they left part of the abutment on the west side as a viewing platform!

Once again, I have photographs, in a long dead computer, of a view over the bridge, looking north. You can see a lineside shed with calk drawings, on the shed rear, of three portrait, entitled "Faith, Hope and Charity", as I recall. There's a typical NER water column and in the background you can see the lines to Consett showing the extent of the retaining wall.

I can't remember what else is on there but that is the image that stands out in my mind. 

A large bracket signal, next to the bridge, as I recall.

All this p

from a photograph. Not memories of the real thing. Wouldn't that be nice?

• RMweb Premium

Hi RBAGE,

I don't have my own photos of this relatively local location, but over the years have noted articles and photos in various publications. 

To hand I have copies of the Steam Days magazine and you may find the following of interest if you can find copies :-

Issue 13 dated April - June 1989, pages 22 -26, Issue 184, December 2004 pages 721 - 731 and Issue334, June 2017, pages 51 - 64.

As an aside, Issue 195  publication date November 2005 has an extensive article on Bishop Auckland on pages 678 - 692 and there are references to services which would have run through Relly Mill which may interest you. Get back to me if you have difficulty finding copies.

drmditch refers to British Railways Illustrated March 1996 having photos from the Neville Stead collection and I wonder if these might be credited to a photographer of the surname 'Staddon'. I know I've seen some excellent shots taken in the Relly Mill/ Deerness Valley Junctions area credited to that name , although said to be part of the Stead Collection.   I should have these 'somewhere, but  who knows when I may come across them

Wishing you well with your research and project,

Regards,

John

• Thanks 1

On 31/03/2021 at 09:25, Brit70053 said:

Hi RBAGE,

I don't have my own photos of this relatively local location, but over the years have noted articles and photos in various publications. 

To hand I have copies of the Steam Days magazine and you may find the following of interest if you can find copies :-

Issue 13 dated April - June 1989, pages 22 -26, Issue 184, December 2004 pages 721 - 731 and Issue334, June 2017, pages 51 - 64.

As an aside, Issue 195  publication date November 2005 has an extensive article on Bishop Auckland on pages 678 - 692 and there are references to services which would have run through Relly Mill which may interest you. Get back to me if you have difficulty finding copies.

drmditch refers to British Railways Illustrated March 1996 having photos from the Neville Stead collection and I wonder if these might be credited to a photographer of the surname 'Staddon'. I know I've seen some excellent shots taken in the Relly Mill/ Deerness Valley Junctions area credited to that name , although said to be part of the Stead Collection.   I should have these 'somewhere, but  who knows when I may come across them

Wishing you well with your research and project,

Regards,

John

Hello John,

I received the March 1996 British Railways Illustrated today and you are correct. Many of the photographs are from the Neville Stead collection and credited to G. M. Staddon. They really are super photographs and include two views of the trolley shed with the rear shed panels illustrating Faith, Hope and Charity. 

I'm over the moon.

Thanks,

Bob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello Bob,

Pleased my recollection of these was accurate, as I said, I have copies somewhere, but struggling to recall where at the moment. I think those Staddon Photos are the best I've seen of the Relly Mill location.

Regards,

John

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Brit70053 said:

Hello Bob,

Pleased my recollection of these was accurate, as I said, I have copies somewhere, but struggling to recall where at the moment. I think those Staddon Photos are the best I've seen of the Relly Mill location.

Regards,

John

They are superb. All the necessary detail for a modeller.

Mind you, there is a superb image I found on the internet of the "dive under", taken from the south at ground level. A class 47 on the ECML going south. Very nice detail. 

• Like 1