TRACTION 263

steverabone

• RMweb Premium

472784581_TRA263cover.jpg.126de48c50a2beeac1fef15a5ae5188a.jpg

The decline of coal traffic on Britain’s railways in the last few years has been rapid and dramatic, with once busy locations loosing much of their railway importance. To commemorate the end of this traffic David Hayes looks at one such power station at Ironbridge in Shropshire in the years until the mid 1980s; the later years will be covered in the next issue.

In his article ‘The Wandering Weedkiller’ Keith Widdowson recalls a day chasing and photographing a Class 20 hauled weedkiller train around Kent in spring 1989.

Class 40s had a great following among enthusiasts in their later years in the 1980s and Steve Ireland, like many others, set out to photograph them; here we present just a few of his many images of the class.

The Swiss railways have always been at the forefront of electric locomotive developments. Colin Boocock begins an examination of the post war electrics starting with the 1944 built BLS Bo-Bos from which all modern electric locomotives have been derived.

Gavin Morrison’s multi-part photo study of the Manchester to Leeds Trans Pennine main line concludes with the section between Huddersfield and Leeds.

Jeff Nicholls takes us on another of his family holidays to Scotland when he combined visits to depots in Motherwell and Glasgow with trips around Fort William and Oban.

The editor spent many happy hours watching trains at Guide Bridge in the early 1960s but missed out on visits there in later years. Ray Briscall’s feature describes this Manchester junction during the late 1970s when the Woodhead line was still busy.

Chasing after the ‘Westerns’ in the 1970s became a passion for Graham Callaway and his friend as they attempted to see as many of the class as they could before withdrawal. He tells his engaging story with its successes and disappointments.

In TRACTION MODELLING the featured layout is Steve Farmer’s layout Lymebrook Yard in N Gauge and is a compact layout set in Staffordshire in the 1970s. There is plenty of railway action and some delightful urban scenes.

• Like 6

On 26/03/2021 at 18:14, steverabone said:

472784581_TRA263cover.jpg.126de48c50a2beeac1fef15a5ae5188a.jpg

The decline of coal traffic on Britain’s railways in the last few years has been rapid and dramatic, with once busy locations loosing much of their railway importance. To commemorate the end of this traffic David Hayes looks at one such power station at Ironbridge in Shropshire in the years until the mid 1980s; the later years will be covered in the next issue.

In his article ‘The Wandering Weedkiller’ Keith Widdowson recalls a day chasing and photographing a Class 20 hauled weedkiller train around Kent in spring 1989.

Class 40s had a great following among enthusiasts in their later years in the 1980s and Steve Ireland, like many others, set out to photograph them; here we present just a few of his many images of the class.

The Swiss railways have always been at the forefront of electric locomotive developments. Colin Boocock begins an examination of the post war electrics starting with the 1944 built BLS Bo-Bos from which all modern electric locomotives have been derived.

Gavin Morrison’s multi-part photo study of the Manchester to Leeds Trans Pennine main line concludes with the section between Huddersfield and Leeds.

Jeff Nicholls takes us on another of his family holidays to Scotland when he combined visits to depots in Motherwell and Glasgow with trips around Fort William and Oban.

The editor spent many happy hours watching trains at Guide Bridge in the early 1960s but missed out on visits there in later years. Ray Briscall’s feature describes this Manchester junction during the late 1970s when the Woodhead line was still busy.

Chasing after the ‘Westerns’ in the 1970s became a passion for Graham Callaway and his friend as they attempted to see as many of the class as they could before withdrawal. He tells his engaging story with its successes and disappointments.

In TRACTION MODELLING the featured layout is Steve Farmer’s layout Lymebrook Yard in N Gauge and is a compact layout set in Staffordshire in the 1970s. There is plenty of railway action and some delightful urban scenes.

Hi Steve

Is there anydate for when this is published as waiting for mine to arrive through the post

Dave

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I've just subscribed to this, unfortunately it starts from the next issue. Is there any way of getting hold of this one? The cover stories suggest there could be some articles I'd like to read.

On 17/05/2021 at 17:31, Lek said:

Hi guys, I've just subscribed to this, unfortunately it starts from the next issue. Is there any way of getting hold of this one? The cover stories suggest there could be some articles I'd like to read.

On line here. Just ordered it myself.Traction - World Of Railways (world-of-railways.co.uk)

On 22/05/2021 at 14:24, steveb860 said:

On line here. Just ordered it myself.Traction - World Of Railways (world-of-railways.co.uk)

That's where I ordered from, but starts from issue 264.