Ignore function

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

can I ask of how much value it would be to able to ignore a complete sub-forum?

At one time, I thought Wheeltappers would be of no interest to me, but there are a few threads there I do enjoy. Most overseas stuff I would not miss, but there are always a few exceptions, so overall I think it highly unlikely I would want to ignore a complete subforum. I'm reasonably resigned to the demise of the ignore function, even though it is more likely I will miss something interesting when moving up or down the long VNC listings. If Invision did the job properly (and that's a big if), i.e. with a reasonably-accessible unignore accompaniment, then I might have a different view.

On a related matter, I started to ignore signatures of many members a long time ago. (Such stuff should be confined to Profile pages, IMO.) However, the software seems to have decided on a blanket signature ignore setting for me. I definitely have no objection to this - signatures add to scroll length and time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I agree on signatures - any more than one line is really annoying; invariably longer than the post itself!

Can't quite get my head around ignoring 4,000 threads though! I think I was being bold having ignored 5.

• RMweb Gold

The Ignore topic feature never used to work for me. The button never appeared where it was supposed to in any of the Themes. I could see that other people had the same problem and that there wasn't an easy answer so I just kept quiet.

I don't use the Activity Streams - I just go to the areas I'm interested in and look at what's changed. That seems like a simpler way to filter the content.

So, for me the new Ignore Topic system works perfectly - it's where I need it to be and it works now. Thanks Andy!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/03/2021 at 10:32, Miss Prism said:

I'm reasonably resigned to the demise of the ignore function

It's back, Andy has done some tweaks to the settings of the new plugin and it appears to be working ok now.

On 30/03/2021 at 11:00, AY Mod said:

The perils of modifying ready-to-run software! Considering the extensive use you'd made of ignoring topics can I ask of how much value it would be to able to ignore a complete sub-forum?

Hi Andy,

I would love to be able to ignore the whole of wheeltappers!

Not just for “time” reasons, I invariably come across things that infuriate me and it’s a bit like those things that everyone has but no one wants to know about yours (opinions!).

Also, for reasons of not being tempted, I might like to ignore the 7mm section too, despite the quality of that section.

Cheers,

John.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Allegheny1600 said:

I would love to be able to ignore the whole of wheeltappers!

Me too somedays! However, there haven't been many calls for it since the suggestion and from looking at how the plug-in would appear I'd say the problem would be people doing it by accident and then causing queries.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Me too somedays! However, there haven't been many calls for it since the suggestion and from looking at how the plug-in would appear I'd say the problem would be people doing it by accident and then causing queries.

I’m sure you do, I’d certainly hate to be responsible for what is said there!

Thanks anyway, I’ll just hit ignore on each topic and actually ignore every one that pops up as new ones start.

Note to self: don’t get drawn in.

Cheers,

John

• Thanks 1

We really do need a toggled option though: Ignore "Ignore Function" Thread (On/Off)

An then, perhaps another one for: "Ignore (ignore Function" Thread (On/Off) Toggle" (Hide/Un-hide)

And, one for ..............

Maybe not.

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for this thread!  I hadn't realised that this functionality existed and I've just been on a mini-spree of ignoring signatures and a few topics.  Only one user though.  So far. (Don't get sucked in......)

Thanks for all the work you do Andy Y:  given the number of times I have to take a deep breath and *not* reply to a posting you must be permanently hyperventilated!

Richard T

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Resurrecting this thread rather starting a new one, with a question for Andy: would I be right in thinking that one result of running the site in basic mode is that the plugin that provided the 'ignore topic' function is currently not active?  I ask because I'm definitely seeing topics in VNC that I had previously 'ignored', and the function no longer seems to be available on newer topics that I would prefer not to be distracted by.