Dornoch Train

Anyone who follows me on here will know that I like to have a few things on the go at the same time. I like the variety and I like to move between scales too. So this is the latest project. I live less than 500 yards from the track bed of the Dornoch branch and walk on it most days.So I plan to make a model of the Dornoch train. This will comprise a 16xx pannier tank, a coach and a couple of vans. This will be unashamedly a shelf queen. No motor and mostly of plastic. The difference (for me anyway) is the scale. It will be Gauge 3, track is 63.5mm. Attached is the OO version, looks something like I am aiming for.

Progress will be sporadic but hopefully the journey will be of interest.

Cheers

David

20210213_131246.jpg

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Interesting. But one thing to check before you go any further building the coach is what type of coach as I'm pretty sure it would be a brake.

Jason

You are quite right Jason. The coaches used on the branch were in the main brake composites. I have a picture which shows coach SC6742M. That appears to be a Stanier Diag 1720 coach. That is the one I will probably go for. That is obviously quite a bit different from the one I posed in my photo.

Cheers

David

21 hours ago, David Bell said:

My choice of a grey unfitted van when I posed the photo is I think an error. From what I can see Dornoch mixed trains don't typically have a brake van, but also don't typically include an unfitted van.

This is a Dornoch to The Mound train at Skelbo in (I believe) 1957, and you can just make out the goods brake van at the rear, beyond what look like mineral wagons behind the vans, some of which could easily have been unfitted.

Alasdair

78052 Skelbo © IBCT-AJCT.jpg

Edited by AJCT
Correct date
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

It was like Christmas here yesterday as all the Gauge 3 bits arrived at the same time. Driving Wheels, chimney, safety valve cover smokebox door,buffers, couplings and handrail knobs for the loco, LMS bogie sides and wheels for the coach, and some preformed ends for the ventilated van. I was not expecting the bogie sides or van ends to be available so that is a real bonus. Also bits to make a yard of track.

I can't believe how big everything is. It will take me a while to get my scale eye in

First task is to put the track together so I have something to put it all on.

20210404_131710.jpg

• Like 2

Hello, David.

That's a very impressive task you have undertaken.

To find out something about Dornoch having GWR locos I went to flickr

and keyed in "Dornoch branch" which brought up some fantastic pictures

including one that seems to represent your choice exactly.

It's from Ernie's Railway Archive and can be accessed by keying in the first

part of the title     HR 1959-09-01 dt3'7

1649 + Brake/Composite + two brown Vans.

You're probably familiar with the picture, or maybe even working from it,

but it will give the rest of us something to look at to see how you get on.

Enjoy your project.

As I said, it's very impressive. I'm in awe.

Pete M.

• Thanks 1

Assembling the track turned out to be simple enough, just a case of threading individual sleepers onto the rail. I have one 900mm length. I have realised I will need another one as the attached pictures readily show. 1800mm should be enough for the locomotive, coach and two vans.The composite coach is 60ft over the headstocks which is 810mm in this scale. I have set the bogies at the correct distance in the photo. The other photo shows the driving wheels set at the right distance. The wheelbase is a little under 198mm. The loco in front is the Rapido 00 scale version.

20210404_153359.jpg

20210404_153434.jpg

20210404_154421.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Like most of my projects this has grown arms and legs. I have decided to set the train in a diorama. So two boards each 900mm x 450mm. On these I will make a representation of Embo station. It is relatively simple. A single track in front of a short platform.  The goods siding was south of the station so wont feature.By the time the 16xx's appeared the platform was brick faced but I will build the earlier wooden faced version. I think it will have more character than the later version. BR seem to have refurbished the platforms at Dornoch, Embo and Skelbo at some point in the fifties only to close the branch in 1960. A single wooden building sits behind the platform, built on stilts as far as I can see.The  building had  an external stove chimney which seems to be braced rather like a telephone poll.At one end is a gated level crossing. Station sign, single lamp and fencing and a couple of period vehicles will complete the scene. I might get away with using 1.24 scale kits for the vehicles, slightly undersize but i think will be ok. Heller do a Ferguson tractor which might fit the bill. The choice of Embo is a natural one for me I suppose on two counts. It is the closest station to where I now live and up until two years ago my wife owned the land upon which the station sits. Maybe we should have kept it and I could have done a full sized version! On second thoughts let's not go there!

Cheers

David

• Like 3

What an interesting project, David! There are numerous Highland and Scottish stations I would love to model, but they cannot all be part of a layout! My foray back into modelling has been based on historical projects and an interest in modelling buildings. I look forward to seeing how this diorama develops!

4 hours ago, Marly51 said:

What an interesting project, David! There are numerous Highland and Scottish stations I would love to model, but they cannot all be part of a layout! My foray back into modelling has been based on historical projects and an interest in modelling buildings. I look forward to seeing how this diorama develops!

It is quite a contrast isn't it.  Glasgow Queen Street in the loft and  Embo in the office. To be honest all of the Far North stations merit modelling. I had the Mound in my list particularly and enjoyed the recent Lairg article in Railway Modeller. The Embo model is like a giant Cakebox challenge.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

16 hours ago, David Bell said:

Well it is not much of a start, but it is a start. At one end of Embo is a level crossing so I made the road crossing the four foot. Lots of plastikard and a couple of lengths of rail!

That's very neat work David - I'll have to keep the standard up at my end! PS I'll drop you a message this weekend as regards GQS. 

Edited by brylonscamel

There was a rather splendid model of The Mound built many years ago. I don't recall seeing it, but I do remember that it featured in RM. Can anyone recall details of it? There may well have been some useful info to hand.

Mark

There was a feature on the Dornoch Light Railway in "Railway Bylines" Volume 23 Issue 6, for May 2018 - locos pictured were mostly the HR 0-4-4Ts 55051 and 55053, but there are a couple of pics of 0-6-0PT 1649 with the mixed train.  As I mentioned to Ben Alder some years back, my parents took us on holiday to a farm near Skelbo in 1957/8/9/60 and I have my Dad's photos from back then (eg in my post of 27 March above) - could maybe dig them out and scan them if of interest.

Alasdair

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AJCT said:

As I mentioned to Ben Alder some years back, my parents took us on holiday to a farm near Skelbo in 1957/8/9/60 and I have my Dad's photos from back then (eg in my post of 27 March above) - could maybe dig them out and scan them if of interest.

Alasdair

Thanks for that Alasdair. I have a copy of the magazine you refer to. 

If you could scan your Dad's photos that would be much appreciated.

Cheers

David

• Agree 1

On 01/05/2021 at 07:47, David Bell said:

Thanks for that Alasdair. I have a copy of the magazine you refer to. 

If you could scan your Dad's photos that would be much appreciated.

Cheers

David

OK: all I have to do is find them....  Shall I post them on this thread or would you prefer me to start a separate topic under (say) "Railways of Scotland"?

Alasdair