Heljan 26 lights

JohnR

• RMweb Gold

I've bought a second hand Heljan 26 (in OO), and while I'm generally very impressed by it, the lights are a disappointment. I wasnt aware that Heljan used regular bulbs for the lights, and these of course need replacing on a regular basis. It seems the previous owner had not bothered to replace them, and I can understand why.

However, I would like to replace them, and with LEDs. However, I cant seem to find anywhere that does a lighting upgrade kit for them? Has anyone done a lighting upgrade using LEDs that they could share the details of?

7 hours ago, JohnR said:

I've bought a second hand Heljan 26 (in OO), and while I'm generally very impressed by it, the lights are a disappointment. I wasnt aware that Heljan used regular bulbs for the lights, and these of course need replacing on a regular basis. It seems the previous owner had not bothered to replace them, and I can understand why.

However, I would like to replace them, and with LEDs. However, I cant seem to find anywhere that does a lighting upgrade kit for them? Has anyone done a lighting upgrade using LEDs that they could share the details of?

See my reply to your question in Modellers Questions and Tips......

• Thanks 1

On 27/03/2021 at 10:22, JohnR said:

Felt much the same about my Heljan Hymek lights .

So I got in touch with Jason Edmunds who trades on Ebay under the name 'stickswipe ' .

He makes LED lighting for lots of other locos and made some for my Hymek after I gave him the dimensions. 

He's always very helpful .

• Like 1

On 27/03/2021 at 10:22, JohnR said:

Look up stickswipe on ebay , click his user name and under business details it will give you his email address or you can contact him via ebay but as it's about a product he doesn't list on ebay then probably best to email him , he has the pattern for the Heljan 26 and will make the kits to any specification you require you just need to let him know whether the loco has 4 or 6 white markers , he has made me custom kits with warm white lighting and individually controllable red lights that can be switched so they only have 1 on as was prototypical for many years

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Another vote for Jason from me.

That said, my 26s I do myself, replacing the bulbs with 3528 SMD LEDs which I soldered up and coated the back with silicon sealer to insulate them. They fit in the slots in the chassis perfectly*. Just wire them via a resistor to the decoder outputs.

I am planning to do another 26 in the next few days so I will take some photos.

Roy

* One way round in the RED and the other way in the white slot.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Albie the plumber said:

Felt much the same about my Heljan Hymek lights .

So I got in touch with Jason Edmunds who trades on Ebay under the name 'stickswipe ' .

He makes LED lighting for lots of other locos and made some for my Hymek after I gave him the dimensions. 

He's always very helpful .

8 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

Look up stickswipe on ebay , click his user name and under business details it will give you his email address or you can contact him via ebay but as it's about a product he doesn't list on ebay then probably best to email him , he has the pattern for the Heljan 26 and will make the kits to any specification you require you just need to let him know whether the loco has 4 or 6 white markers , he has made me custom kits with warm white lighting and individually controllable red lights that can be switched so they only have 1 on as was prototypical for many years

Thanks guys, I'll look him up.

2 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Another vote for Jason from me.

That said, my 26s I do myself, replacing the bulbs with 3528 SMD LEDs which I soldered up and coated the back with silicon sealer to insulate them. They fit in the slots in the chassis perfectly*. Just wire them via a resistor to the decoder outputs.

I am planning to do another 26 in the next few days so I will take some photos.

Roy

* One way round in the RED and the other way in the white slot.

Thanks Roy, I look forward to see your pictures. Might go down that route.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, JohnR said:

Thanks Roy, I look forward to see your pictures. Might go down that route.

Hi John,

I have just made up one of the lights for my next class 26 - wasn't quite ready to put it in the loco yet as I will strip out the PCB and fit a 21pin socket, sound, stay alive and full independent lights. 

Anyhow, photos should give you an idea of the way I do the lights:

3528 yellow LEDs as I buy them. I also use warm white and red depending on what I am making the light for. They work out about 7p each.

IMG_1599.JPEG.647a2670972e9f3ea0a6ca2ab636751e.JPEG

The LED out of its packaging (front and back) - the little triangle (circled) marks anode:

IMG_1602.JPEG.2092726411c86d33fb10cbe0acdaafeb.JPEGIMG_1601.JPEG.000d37c7736b3cd07c8c9dd2ac13ceff.JPEG

I cut wires (32 awg to match the decoder colours (blue anode, yellow F0r in this case and tin them. The fine-wire strippers are really useful to hold the wires while you do this:

IMG_1603.JPEG.a66c0b54dfcab63c2174da699c93df66.JPEG

I put the LED in a cardboard jig - the anode side is marked with a + and I always test I have it the right way round before soldering.

IMG_1604.JPEG.b5d20562c7f3408fd6cd93c56a30d3a1.JPEG

I then tin both connections on the LED.

IMG_1605.JPEG.78fd7ad56bd32b37aeba8240df954622.JPEG

I then smelt the wires to the LED - do not add more solder, it is not needed.

IMG_1606.JPEG.482dcd51f171853ebe78284124b14d65.JPEG

This is the sealer I am using - last forever doing for this job:

IMG_1608.JPEG.5d7b48a3dba0ffd0be5063ed2d957c0a.JPEG

LED all sealed up over the back and sides to insulate it:

IMG_1607.JPEG.616816b81a225d2623d8f2c6104837ba.JPEG

LED being tested:

IMG_1609.JPEG.bee21ef6206f13d45d14d10958173800.JPEG

My LED tester:

IMG_1600.JPEG.30ec3ae26b5785d1766fc2514edf97c0.JPEG

I will run the wires back through the original channels in the chassis, up next to the motor and then solder to a 21pin socket board via a 1K resistor board on the anode.

I will get the rest made up and post some photos of them in the loco later in the week.

Hope that all helps.

Roy

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 29/03/2021 at 10:39, sulzer71 said:

Here's a pic of what I've been getting from him

IMG_20210211_114939_252.jpg.9b1e4b6d706b330fdee8168b1c396b97.jpg

Got great service, my pack of lights arrived today. Where do I wire them up, however?

• Like 1